Thread: LOOKING FOR Diesel S type

Post Thanks / Like

Talking LOOKING FOR Diesel S type

Hello chaps, I finally had to part with my 1999 3.0 s type. I'm really keen to replace it with a diesel. Any colour but black! No rust. Full service history. Reasonable mileage, auto, cruise control and a tow bar. (I'm easily pleased....) Anything out there - I live on the West coast of Scotland but I'm prepared to travel for the right jag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    I hope you find the right one.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rchiv;1179109]Hi and welcome to the forum
    I hope you find the right one.

Thanks Roger - I hope so too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd very seriously consider if you want the diesel. My 2004 that I owned in about 2007-2009 averaged 32 to the gallon and had plenty of expensive diesel related faults as the miles racked up. Given this engines reputation for grenading without warning, and petrol-esque fuel economy, you're far better off with a 3.0. It also feels like it really could do with another 50bhp or so.

For context I always hit book figures for fuel economy in my cars and I'm currently getting 28mpg from a 4.2 V8 XJ8 while making progress that you'd have to work the diesel with 2/3rds the power very hard to match.

Mine cost so much to run I'd have been better off with an S-Type R or NASP 4.2.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not that balanced, is it ? I should say that my '04 recently passed 180K miles, is still going strong, hardly gave me any trouble in 80+k mls & I averaged in mid 40's mpg. The engines don't just grenade without warning either but keeping them running is usually down to servicing- higher mileage ones can suffer from a bit of play in the crank though.
    I would say that you really want to buy a pre-DPF one & that's going to be a 14-15 year old car now, so rust is almost inevitable. There IS something to be said about getting another 3.0 litre maybe ? There're plenty around & much cheaper than the diesel, unless that's what you really want. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a diesel 358 xj?

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not balanced.

I have a 2005 derv 2.2 estate (In black unfortunately) that has well over 210,000 miles on it, still goes like a train, still on original injectors as far as I can tell. Depends how they are looked after. And you really don't need more than the 150 ish BHP this engine has. It also has all the toys except flappy mirrors and was bought for a very good price because the last owner thought it wouldn't sell because of it's mileage. And with the traffic in this country these days, it really doesn't matter how much "go" you have if it will only get you to the next traffic jam quicker.

As I generally commute a rough round trip of 160 miles a day, I do know what I'm talking about. These engines as fitted to the X type don't "grenade" and they never have. People only come onto forums when they have a problem with their car. Never to tell you how brilliant it's been.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points but the s-type/xj engine here is completely different, being a 2.7 v6 twin turbo.