Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Type rear parking sensors not working.

Post Thanks / Like

X-Type rear parking sensors not working.

The rear parking sensors on my 2004 X-Type 2.0 manual estate have stopped working and I get a 5 second continuous beep each time I turn the ignition to position II.

The reversing lights are working. Glove box fuse F33 is NOT blown. With fuse F33 removed I do not get the 5 second continuous beep.

The parking aid module in the spare wheel well shows no sign of corrosion or dampness. I've never had any water ingress in that area in 11 years of ownership.

I cannot hear the high pitched clicking noise that I've read about on this forum from any of the 4 sensors but I'm not sure I'm doing the testing correctly.

Can someone explain the exact testing procedure/sequence please.

Many thanks.
    JAGUAR X-TYPE 2004-2010 Diesel 2.0L Manual 5 doors SE DCI Estate

2004 registered 145,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Ignition on, car NOT started, place car in reverse.

It really helps to use a screwdriver to listen to the sensors, place screwdriver end on sensor, other end to ear and this magnifies the "clicking". It does work, I couldn't hear the sensors without using this trick. Most probably to do with 40 years in the steel industry!
    If one or more are not clicking then they require changing.
    Now - 2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 2.0 petrol in Bluefire - Parking Assist Pack, heated screen.
    Had - 2008 - 2.2 Auto Sovereign Saloon - Genuine Sovereign Glacier Blue with heated screen, piped seats, Satnav, Premium Sound System, Jaguar Voice, Front and Rear Sensors, Walnut Steering Wheel and dash, Proteus 18" Wheels plus the dreaded DPF!!!!
    2003 2.5L SE - Ultraviolet.

3. Thanks cutlp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As stated above, listen with a long handled screwdriver; I had this issue last year. They were all clicking away merrily other than one sensor, which then, in effect, breaks the whole circuit. Speculatively, I then gave the offending sensor a firm tap with the end of the screwdriver.....hey presto! I can't guarantee that lucky break will happen for you, but, you never know!
    Jaguar 2.0D SE 2008 Estate, 107K, Glacier Blue, Heated Leather, Cruise, Sat Nav and praise the lord good sills and no DPF

Life lessons I have learnt - We are where we are.......It is what it is.

5. Thanks cutlp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    lie on your back and get under the rear of car, you can see where the plugs go into the back of the sensors. Ive had two x types with broken wires at the plug seems a weak point.

easy enough to order another plug with a 12" fly lead from ebay, just splice the wires with suitable crimp, bash some sillicone sealant in the ends once youve terminated it and you should be good to go.

incidentally the ticking is really quiet, i can barely hear it with my 41 year old ears.

When it went on my first one i bought a stethoscope and the reaction of mrs.rob was "dont you think we're a bit old to be playing doctors and nurses...."
    2006 X Type 2.2D Sport 108k

Alex!.....get off the cat!

7. Thanks cutlp thanked for this post
    Likes ck_uk, bugsb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Bob,

"Speculatively, I then gave the offending sensor a firm tap with the end of the screwdriver"

Known as a 'technical tap', where I used to work.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

9. Likes cutlp, mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too have this exact same issue on mine same year. Since one can easily break the circuit who know when it would happen again. Because you rely on it that much and if it fails midway through driving you wouldn't know and then when it comes to park up and is not working and not realising may end up backing up on to someone, and being an 15 year car, i would suggest replace it with a new aftermarket system, since the factory system is merely just beeps with no parking diagram showing on screen i wouldn't hesitate in replacing this system, with an aftermarket equivalent.
    Here is the system i found
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Parki...m/262490984832

I shall be carrying out the change on mine when i done my other priority jobs

11. Thanks cutlp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I frequently get this and cleaning the dust off the sensors with a brush or cloth usually solves the problem. Seem to have to turn ignition off and back on to clear the beep.
    55 plate. 2.0D SE Estate. Quartz Grey. Warm Charcoal Leather. HID Lights. Stainless Mesh Grille. Body Colour Surround. 88K Mls

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for everyone's advice.

Knowing that I was doing the testing correctly, I had another go at listening for the clicking noise - with my 18" long ½" diameter wooden dowel - and lo and behold I could hear it (with my 71 year old ears!) on 3 of the 4 sensors. The offside outer one is the duff one which should be easier to replace than the inner ones. I'll be back for more advice if I have any trouble removing the duff sensor.

For the benefit of anyone else trying to hear it, the clicking or ticking noise is faint but quite distinct: it's rapid rather than high pitched but you do need something to 'amplify' or conduct the sound to your ear.
    JAGUAR X-TYPE 2004-2010 Diesel 2.0L Manual 5 doors SE DCI Estate

2004 registered 145,000 miles

14. Likes Willber G, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cutlp View Post
    Many thanks for everyone's advice.

Knowing that I was doing the testing correctly, I had another go at listening for the clicking noise - with my 18" long ½" diameter wooden dowel - and lo and behold I could hear it (with my 71 year old ears!) on 3 of the 4 sensors. The offside outer one is the duff one which should be easier to replace than the inner ones. I'll be back for more advice if I have any trouble removing the duff sensor.

For the benefit of anyone else trying to hear it, the clicking or ticking noise is faint but quite distinct: it's rapid rather than high pitched but you do need something to 'amplify' or conduct the sound to your ear.
    That's great. If I remember correctly the outside ones are straight sensors and the 2 inners are 90 degrees. Someone who's had issues with these recently may be able to confirm.
    Now - 2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 2.0 petrol in Bluefire - Parking Assist Pack, heated screen.
    Had - 2008 - 2.2 Auto Sovereign Saloon - Genuine Sovereign Glacier Blue with heated screen, piped seats, Satnav, Premium Sound System, Jaguar Voice, Front and Rear Sensors, Walnut Steering Wheel and dash, Proteus 18" Wheels plus the dreaded DPF!!!!
    2003 2.5L SE - Ultraviolet.

Post Thanks / Like
    all i can remember is the outer ones can be done with out removing the bumper, i picked one up from ebay it was 4-5 years ago but it did the job ok
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast