Thread: Six months in

Post Thanks / Like

Six months in

Hi all,

So here I am, six months and 9000 miles into XE ownership and thought I'd share some observations of my ownership so far which may generate some discussion. I use mine primarily for commuting the 35 miles each way to work three days a week as well as towing a couple of classic cars around the country (although that is still yet to start - mid June, taking the Mini Cooper up to Northern Scotland to go for a 10 day blast around the Highlands and Islands!).

1. I absolutely love the drive. Handling around the lanes on the 11 miles to the motorway is well balanced predictable. On the move it is quiet, comfortable, and now I have finally found the sweet spot of drivers seat adjustment, very relaxing! I have noticed one trait however and that is something of a vibration at speed. I'm loathe to do anything about it yet at least not until I have replaced all the tyres just in case it's simply a balancing issue. On that subject, what's the typical life of the tyres on the XE? I'm expecting perhaps 30k, is this reasonable?

2. I also love the looks. I bought the XE with my heart not my head. I don't like German cars (no good reason, I just like to buy as British as I can) and remarkably I could afford one (though not if you ask the good lady wife!). The XE, like most of the current Jaguar range, looks sharp, classy and a little bit menacing (without looking aggressive - BMW take note!) and I really like that.

3. Shortly after I bought the car with just under 13k miles, the DEF warning came up. I stuck a full drum (10 litres) in and have just had it come on again. This suggests around 8k miles per 10 litres, does this seem about right? I have no issue with it, it's not like it's expensive. I'd just be interested to know whether this is normal or not.

4. I've also fitted a towbar but was unable to get the car coded (whatever that means) to know that there is a towbar fitted. As a result the reversing sensors think I'm about to hit something whenever I'm reversing a trailer. I can live with it as all the lights function correctly, but I would like to get it sorted without resorting to giving a vast sum of money to a Dealer just to toggle something on a laptop! Any suggestions gratefully received.

5. The other day, I was sifting through the pile of paperwork I got from the Dealer when I bought the car back in November, and spotted that the print out of the Online Service History, that has the correct Reg No. and VIN, shows the car as being Italian Racing Red! Is it worth/any point in trying to get this changed? Can it be changed? How?

6. I reluctantly bought a Black one, albeit Santorini Black, but remember now why I didn't want Black. It ALWAYS looks dirty!!! On the up side, the young lads at the car wash around the corner get a visit from me every week and do a great job.

I hope everyone is having a great day and enjoying as much of this lovely weather as they can.

Regards,

Richard.

P.S. I still miss my X Type but must get on with shifting it off the drive.
    Last edited by RWD3M; 17-05-19 at 09:26.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

2. Likes JimC64, mrb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went from a 2007 XJ6 Sovereign to my current 2017 2 litre diesel (180 PS), XE Portfolio AWD. The XE was on 10k miles and less than 2 years old and I got it for about half the price of a new one, so I think this was a good deal with two years Jaguar warranty, 15 months of the original 3 years, plus the rest of the time the Jaguar Approved warrnaty.

First thing to say is that the interior really was a bit of a shock !! I call it "Bauhaus with added bling" so quite similar to Audi. However, I'm pretty much over that and very impressed with the ride quality, which is as good as the XJ. My suspension is "Comfort" and I suspect it is a lot harsher on the 'Sport" versions. There is no suspension noise and the car is quiet at speed, although a bit "diesely" around town at slow speeds. On the other hand the fuel consumption makes up for this. 23.5 mpg with the XJ to 44 mpg with the XE. Seat comfort is very good, the equal of the XJ. Interior is, of course, much more cramped, but with my mother having passed on last year, we don't need a big car anymore.

Of course, this being 2017, the car has loads of things I don't really want, like Lane Departure Assist which vibrates the steering wheel when it detects the car crossing a line, (suppressed if you're signalling). Then there is Traffic Sign Recognition which I have also turned off as it doesn't work all the time, and one time missed a 30 mph limit as the sign was obscured by foliage. I saw it and also the street lights. How we are going to get to self-drive cars I don't know, I suspect it is all hype. Would you trust it after the Boeing 737 Max debacle ?

So far I've done about 3500 miles and all is well apart from slight front brake judder on braking. I had this checked at the service in early May and (as expected) was told it was within limits. Except it is Jaguar that sets that limit !! I don't think a car on only 12k miles should do this, so intend to make a fuss. Apart from that nothing untoward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

4. Likes JimC64, mrb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard and Fraser , thanks for these posts , it is really useful to hear what is good and bad , without reading these I don't think I would have considered an XE for the future.
    My X358 diesel now on 142k keeps plodding on and gives 40mpg over the last 10,000 miles so for the time being I hope to stay with it but posts like these are or great value so thanks.
    2007 X358 2.7D exec
    previous 2002 S type 3.0 manual

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 2 months into ownership and have a high speed vibration since i got it. It's going in on Monday but last week i got my wheels balanced and they showed me a rather large buckle on the inner rim. I haven't done that but i bet the dealer won't admit it was like that when they sold it me. The day after i picked it up i checked the oil and it was way below minimum. Also the tpms activated on way home so i don't believe it had all the 165 approved used checks i supposedly paid for.

7. Likes RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm.. Good point you make on the supposed 165 point checks! Not convinced that mine had many of them done. Whilst my TPMS didn't activate, all the tyre pressures on mine were low (and yes, I do use a calibrated tyre presure inflator) and by quite a margin on one (7 psi low!).

Do keep me (us) posted on the vibration issue.

Which model do you have Glenno? Oh, and which rims? I hope it isn't one of those that's causing the vibration, I expect a replacement won't be cheap.

Regards,
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)