Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Boot latch stuck

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Boot latch stuck

    Hi, 2013 xf. Trunk will not release with either the remote, inside button, lid button or key. I can hear things moving, but wont release. The car says the lid is open and won't lock the doors. Dealer won't get me in until next Tuesday and I have groceries in the trunk that are going to go bad. Ideas? Sprayed lube in the lock and its dripping all along the bumper, so I know I have it well lubed. The car has the power pull down for the lid, guessing something went wrong there when it was last closed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member philayl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wirral, Merseyside
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derekclake View Post
    Hi, 2013 xf. Trunk will not release with either the remote, inside button, lid button or key. I can hear things moving, but wont release. The car says the lid is open and won't lock the doors. Dealer won't get me in until next Tuesday and I have groceries in the trunk that are going to go bad. Ideas? Sprayed lube in the lock and its dripping all along the bumper, so I know I have it well lubed. The car has the power pull down for the lid, guessing something went wrong there when it was last closed.
    Hi, have you tried pushing down hard on the boot lid when releasing it, it might just release the catch enough for it to move. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jberks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd bounce up and down on the boot lid a few times as you press (as Philayl1 says) and see if you can free it.
    If you get no joy, I'd go down to the dealer and not take no for an answer. They may not be able to do a repair until next week but they should be able to get into the boot for you and at least retrieve your groceries.
    If not, that'd be the last time I ever darkened their door!!
    (It's called customer service).
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

  4. #4
    Member Carpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Bouce, France
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've only experienced the Sportbrake so maybe I'm asking a silly question, but can't you fold down a rear seat and get access?

  5. #5
    Senior Member philayl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wirral, Merseyside
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
    I've only experienced the Sportbrake so maybe I'm asking a silly question, but can't you fold down a rear seat and get access?
    Hi, unfortunately the release mechanism (if fitted) is in the boot. Possible to remove the back seat completely, bit of a pain but doable. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, unfortunately the release mechanism (if fitted) is in the boot. Possible to remove the back seat completely, bit of a pain but doable. Phil
    I think this is what I need to do, the car already smells like the cauliflower that is sitting in the trunk. Any directions on taking the seat out to get to the trunk? I've been looking everywhere but can't find anything.

  7. #7
    Senior Member philayl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wirral, Merseyside
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derekclake View Post
    I think this is what I need to do, the car already smells like the cauliflower that is sitting in the trunk. Any directions on taking the seat out to get to the trunk? I've been looking everywhere but can't find anything.
    Hi, try this, ignore the part about removing the fuel sender it's just the seat removal you want. Phil
    Attachment 30575
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Andy5112405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Redditch
    Posts
    6,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you need a new boot lock it is a common part with the Ford Focus. It's actually a Volvo part. In time the solenoid weakens.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

    2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

    Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

  9. #9
    Senior Member philayl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wirral, Merseyside
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
    If you need a new boot lock it is a common part with the Ford Focus. It's actually a Volvo part. In time the solenoid weakens.
    You will find that the door locks are Volvo as well. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    You will find that the door locks are Volvo as well. Phil
    So in the end it is fixed... Removed the seat bottom and bolsters, removed 4 bolts to loosen the rear seat back. Reached in and under to release the small hatch behind the armrest for the ski bag pass through and un-clipped the ski bag so I had access to the trunk through it. Bolted the seat back in again, used a garden rake to reach into the trunk through the ski pass through to release the seat back fold downs. Crawled into the trunk to get my groceries . The emergency lid pull from inside did not work, it was loose as it was unlatched. Removed the trunk lid cover and found the pull down motor as it had not finished it's full cycle I suspected and locked everything up. There is a hole on the front of it that an allen key can go in and turn the motor to finish it's cycle, the latch released and the lid opened.

    The motor is disconnected now, so not to fail again. Thinking there really should be a bypass connected with the key and the emergency release inside to disconnect the latch/pull down motor for when it fails.

    Good times, thanks everyone for your ideas!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •