Thread: MOT Woes

Post Thanks / Like

MOT Woes

The S-Type had its MOT yesterday and unfortunately it didn't win....

Failed on the following:
    Anti-roll bar linkage insecure and impairing directional stability Offside Front.

Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect Nearside.
    Headlamp aim projected beam image is obviously incorrect Offside.

Parking brake efficiency below requirements.

Advisories:
    Shock absorber has a slightly worn bush Offside Rear.
    Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Nearside Rear Upper.
    Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Rear Upper.
    Brake pipes corroded, covered in grease or other material.
    Oil leak but not excessive.

Repairs carried out and retested this morning and now Passed. I'll keep an eye on the Advisories over the next 12 months.

Total cost to replace the OSF anti roll bar link, polish the headlights and strip the rear brakes, free off caliper slides and brake pads in caliper carrier and MOT retest:

£146.83

And so it soldiers on for a possible further 12 months.....
    1996 XJ 4.0 Sovereign LWB. Titanium grey / Regatta Blue leather 134,000 miles and rising.
    2001 S-Type 3.0 SE 5 Speed Automatic. Mistral Blue / Cream leather. 112,500 miles and rising. M20532

Ex
    2003 X-Type 3.0 SE 5 Speed Automatic. Radiance Red / Cream leather.
    2006 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign 6 Speed Manual. Indigo Blue/Cream leather.
    2004 X-Type 2.0D SE 5 Speed Manual. Pacific Blue/Cream leather .

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too bad

Mine has its next TÜV this autumn and last time they said that the parking brake was weak but, to be honest, it has been weak from new. It will get new cables, maybe new grippier pads, and a good clean of the calipers, then we can see what is what. The self adjuster never seemed to do anything.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

3. Likes rick_shape liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's good news Rick, cheap at twice the price to keep such a nice car on the road!