Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    No, it's English grammar.
    Do you mean the comma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you needed the one I showed you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you needed the one I showed you.
    Think your ABS (Articulate British Statement) light might be flashing too...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so you think it changes the meaning of the sentence?

The comma is quite often misused but is usually used to list several items, to separate two or more phrases (statements) and as a soft "breathe" pause

The intention in this case was an "if xxxx then yyyy" statement. Sometimes it can be used in its extended "if xxxx then yyyy, otherwise zzz" function.

By starting with 'and' I was linking to and adding to your previous info:

If it was a brake (ABS) related fault the code is still there in the ABS module. You can read it if you wish but need a more costly tool.

The P1111 is from the PCM.
    So if written complete, it should read

"If it was a brake (ABS) related fault the code is still there in the ABS module. You can read it if you wish but need a more costly tool.

And P1111 alone means (that) All is Well".

If I had put the comma, what would you derive from:

"If it was a brake (ABS) related fault the code is still there in the ABS module. You can read it if you wish but need a more costly tool.

And P1111 alone, means (that) All is Well"?

Is there then a difference in meaning?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. How many times do you want me to confirm that?

I'm doubtful there's any point in this thread being filled with this, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I take your point, the comma you suggested separates the "if" in the first part of the sentence from the "then", the second part.

As there is only 1 implied "if" and 1 "then", so there is no choice to make. I hope you see that. And therefore in this case the meaning of the sentence is not alterable. And it was in addition to your prior info, and did not detract from it or cancel it.

But I do understand that you wanted quite rightly to clarify that my statement applied Only if (there we go again) there are no other codes.

Just bragging here but it's to explain and give you some background that I am not inept at "proper" English Grammar... I was top of my English classes for 5 years all through senior school from 1st year through 5th year to "O" Level, at 2 schools which were the "best" in Cambridge (I felt the cane regularly for the first 2 years until I "got fell in" and did things their way!) and then in the top 10 of 22 students for 2 years, Lower 6th and Upper 6th, at the Cambs & County High School at "A" Level, and my working life, in supporting very large mainframe computer systems, contained an Awful Lot of "IF ... Then.... Else.... " programming. As well as a few high-level languages.

Of course we don't apply this "good sht" every time, all the time, even apart from accidental boo-boos, phone predictive text takeover coup attempts, lazy writing and lazyspeak usually are applied, or I "would of" been told "of" (as in bollocked!) when I "brought" my car from a friend or "bought" it to my mechanic!

My sincere apologies if this is of no interest, Jim. You now know for certain that P1111 is a good thing.

By the way, P1000 is Not a good thing, even if it is alone.

04str would you please explain the reason, since this last is important? TIA.

All the best bud.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 20-05-19 at 10:27.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12