Thread: How do I drain and remove the fuel tank.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I drain and remove the fuel tank.

Hi all

I can see the braces and straps that hold the fuel tank in place but are there any other fixings?

Also, not a lot of fuel in the tank but what is the safest way to drain it?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    firstly , there is no ' drain '

depending on model, facelift or pre-facelift, things can differ,

if pre facelift, then the fuel will leave the tank and drop into a catch tank under the battery , this is a swirl pot and is designed to provide constant fuel during hard acceleration and or cornering, from there the pump pulls it through a filter and sends it off to the engine bay , you will need to release one of these unions to drain. an ' empty ' tank will still have at least two gallons in there to drain , i took over 20 litres out of mine

once drained remove the straps, and the pipework not forgetting the vapour pipes top right and the wiring for the level sender and the filler tube on left

the tank is sat on a solid mat, and will be stuck to it, especially if you have had a leak of petrol onto it ,

the tank will release by gentle prying at each end and pull out directly backwards towards you when free , some wiggling may be required

once out you will see the rivet on the right hand side in the car body floor that wears a hole in the tank causing the leak and smell of fuel , file down this rivet ( it holds a pipe underneath ) before putting the tank back in..

the tank can be salvaged if not rotten inside, new tanks are not readily available, so you may need a refurb

rule of thumb , olive green painted tank is original and should have been replaced in a recall with a black painted tank with a different bottom pipe union , as the green one fractured and leaked...

you will need some new pipes as they become porous and also contribute to the smell of petrol

good luck

BB
    currently driving
    1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior since 2016
    1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior since 2004
    2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior since 2012

previously ,
    1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior 2009-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Pre-face lift, and this makes sense..

"the tank is sat on a solid mat, and will be stuck to it, especially if you have had a leak of petrol onto it"

Thank you