Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XJ8 wiper mechanism not working, seized

Post Thanks / Like

XJ8 wiper mechanism not working, seized

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wipe1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	30576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wipe2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	30577

I have had a lot of aggro trying to fix my wipers which suddenly stopped working on my XJ8 2003 4.2 and there doesn't seem to be much help about this anywhere. So posting this just to give out a bit of info. After a bit of a mission trying to get access I thought I was in luck when I saw the nut had come off the splined motor. No, as usual it wasn't that easy, ( is it ever! ), the offside wiper was stuck solid and the nut has just gradually got wound off with the increasing seizure of the wiper spindle.
    I wanted to remove the whole assembly and fix but it's a nightmare to get out from situ without a lot of dismantling, even getting the plastic cover off was time consuming. I've managed to move the spindle eventually and free it up a bit with a pair of vice grips, oils, heat and a lot of effort! The bush the spindle runs on is worn through to the casing so it's offcentre which you might make out in pic 2. Pic 1 shows the nut on the motor lever in the park position. It's tricky to tighten as it's right on the pivot point, I jammed the lever from moving over it so I could get a spanner on and off. It's not a proper fix but will have to do for now as it's quite freed up and functioning again. I've still to put the wiper arms, trim etc. back on after I make it work a bit more.
    The wiper spindles are captured with a small circlip and should push through, mine wouldn't, it was so stiff I couldn't chap it out which is hard to believe I know.
    If you have a car this age and about 90k on it get some some WD40 and oil into those spindles before you get the grief!
    Hoping this at least gives someone more headstart than I had.
    Rob

2. Likes FlatCap liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting, and I wonder if this dovetails into something I discovered at the weekend.

I was letting the air-con bomb off in mine, so decided to wash the car - but I had failed to switch the wipers off. Not being able to open the door, I just carried on. My car has the problem on intermittent/auto wipe where the blades will randomly stop part way up the screen, but only seems to do it when the rain is quite light. For example, the other day when it was raining - not enough to make the wipers come on fully, but sufficient to make them work intermittently and quite a lot, they did not misbehave which had me wondering if it was something to do with the amount of water on the screen.

Playing with the pressure washer, I arrived at the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that as long as there was a fair amount of water on the screen to lubricate the surface, all was well. If the screen was relatively dry, then the wipers would stop part way up or down the screen. That left me wondering if there is some sort of current sensing going on which sees a slightly higher current draw as an indicator that the wiper has reached the end of its cycle (not the edge of the screen, but the end of the cycle at the park position). Now, in my head.... putting my theory together with your evidence, I wonder if lubrication of the mechanism is the problem and the well known issue with the wipers on these stopping mid-screen on intermittent/auto settings is actually being caused by stiff wiper mechanisms.

I am seriously tempted to have a sunny Saturday spent getting into mine to lubricate them now - not entirely sure that WD40 is the best lubricant to resolve the problem though, I would have thought some sort of grease would be more long lasting?
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

4. Likes robbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked your ground points FC. There is one under the scuttle panel that is directly related to the wipers.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

6. Likes robbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Have you checked your ground points FC. There is one under the scuttle panel that is directly related to the wipers.

Not that one yet, but have done all the others - I will take a look at the ground points also. I am still tempted to try and lubricate this mechanism though.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least you didn't just chop off the body mounts to get it out like my car's previous Jaguar Main Dealer did

9. Likes robbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    At least you didn't just chop off the body mounts to get it out like my car's previous Jaguar Main Dealer did
    Hi Guys,
    I remember when my 2001 S-Type wiper stopped working and my local service Guy had to cut away a part of the body to fix the problem so it's not just main dealers doing this.
    On a brighter note, doing my weekly shopping at Aldi this morning I noticed cans of 3 in 1 brand oils on sale, Lithium spray grease, silicon spray grease and a WD40 equivalent. Should be for the usual Aldi bargain prices too.

Supertrev.

Last edited by supertrev; 20-05-19 at 17:30.
    Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

11. Thanks robbs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi FC,
    I'm glad you got something out of that. I'd be more inclined to go with your lube idea than the current although it's a possibility.
    You can get a good idea if it's sticky by trying for up and down play on each wiper and you don't need to remove a thing, just get a good even grip on the spindle and wiper arm and lift up/down, mine was rock solid even after I had it moving round a fair bit with the vice grips. Now that it's free, it moves up/down easily. The middle/nearside one was pretty much ok anyway. I've got the circlip back on it now to hold it in place while i run it with no wipers attached and it seems really free again. The WD40 was just to help penetrate and loosen it, i've sprayed some grease in it now ( courtesy SupTrev post below, cheers got some today!) for running. If I can find my ancient jar of graphite dust (which is just magic fairy dust in lube terms!) i'll put a little of that in as well. I'll try and make a quick video of it working tomorrow if I can before I put it all together, it would be a good time save for people to know what they're in for before they start.
    For other owners out there i'd definitley recommend a look and quick test, especially the offside spindle which gets the worst of the water intrusion, and just stick some oil in it anyway to save potential bother. I'm amazed mine didn't fail years ago given how bad it was.
    My Jaguar's off the road 'cos it's raining is not a line of chat you want to be having!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your right Woody, but after this, I understand their pain!!

Post Thanks / Like

video clip added

Just put this on Youtube if anyone needs a look before they start. If link doesn't work search using Jaguar 2003 XJ8 wipers seized

15. Thanks Piousx thanked for this post
    Likes Piousx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very informative video. Thanks for posting.
    2008 X358 Sovereign (X358 SOV)

17. Thanks robbs thanked for this post
    Likes robbs liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast