Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internet speed

Post Thanks / Like

Internet speed

How times have changed huh?

I remember my first heavy IBM desktop computer with a separate monitor that weighed just as much, and dial-up internet, and being both impressed & frustrated at speeds of about 1Mb/s. Then a few years later, along came something called 'Broadband' and I couldn't wait for the letter saying my exchange was ready!

Now, I almost take for granted my 76Mb/s and the fact that I can watch films as though they were through BBC or ITV. As much as I miss some things about the good old days, you can't knock technology can you?
    1. I'll leave this link as a reminder to me of My First Love: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=77370
    2. My beautiful 2007 X-Type 2.5 Estate (with a mid-sport exhaust) in metallic Quartz Grey was written off in Nov '17 thanks to a moron kid in a Fiesta who thought it'd be a good idea to pull off Mummy's drive with a totally misted up screen..... https://i.imgur.com/vbmT78y.jpg
    3. My new love is a pristine 2003 XJ6 X350 3.0 auto

2. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you can even use the phone at the same time!

"I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

4. Likes Winchester12g liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first big, huge desktop PC had a 40MB hard drive...
    ..and a "maths co-processor" (whatever that was )

I now have a USB memory stick with 256GB capacity and hard drives measured in terabytes.

It was a special thing in my university days to get onto one of the (few) linked workstations so that you could send annoying messages to your fellow students.

Where i first worked, the only computers were the CAD terminals, the accountants' PCs and the PA's PC for word processing.
    No email whatsoever - everything was handwritten faxes.

Definitely feels like an "Information Revolution" is happening.
    2003 Super V8 SWB

6. Likes Winchester12g liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At the start of my working life, I worked for a computer company and one of my first main tasks was fitting 1Mb RAM upgrades into domestic computers (Amiga's I think??), before moving on to being the go-to guy that set up IBM Famipack PC's, and IBM PS2 (386SX) units for our commercial customers. Oh, and WYSE terminals for doctors surgeries - they were fun (not!); I was made redundant after not too long in the game, and moved on to TV, video & HiFi which I stayed in for many years and enjoyed so much more.

I still build and repair PC's and laptops for friends and families, and they are so much easier to work on now than they used to be.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've worked in IT for nearly 30 years starting out as helpdesk support for a chocolate manufacturer, european support out of Stockley Park for a high street chain, and also for Black and Decker Europe (out of Slough) and finally ending up as Senior Tehnical Consultant for a Storage System manufacturer looking after pre-sales support for global customers such as oil producers/refineries, science/research institutions, banks and TV/film production companies throughout Europe Middle East and Africa, but focussing on the Middle East.

It was certainly interesting seeing how things changed, and the speed of that change. the chain stores (M&S) were in the process of upgrading their in-store servers to 96MB of RAM! Yes I did say MegaBytes, and it cost a fortune! Data comms were so slow, even leased lines were painful. At the other end, the vast storage systems that would dwarf the server racks. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling racks and enclosures full of disk.

It does seem like the pace of development has slowed in the past few years. Broadband speeds particularly seem to have stalled at around the 70-80Mbps rate for the best part of this decade, with the exception of Virgin. There are promises of gigabit speeds from BT, but I doubt the infrastructure is in place to support that nationally as yet. Processors and memory are getting faster, SSDs are getting cheaper and more reliable, but things are generally at the point where most users are happy, and at a time when many home (and business) users are now using their mobile devices more than traditional laptops and desktops.

I left the world of Storage Systems about 10 years ago and now have my own company, work for myself. A better pace of life than working for a US corporation, that's for sure.

And linking back to the OP, I remember learning about Winchester disks in Computing Science back in the mid 80s!
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto 2002MY 79K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats.

www.xtype.uk

Retrofits: Climate Control (from manual ac), touch screen, LED interior, facelift multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, 'JagDroid' Android, parking sensors, front/rear cameras, Nextbase Duo Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    At the start of my working life, I worked for a computer company and one of my first main tasks was fitting 1Mb RAM upgrades into domestic computers (Amiga's I think??), before moving on to being the go-to guy that set up IBM Famipack PC's, and IBM PS2 (386SX) units for our commercial customers. Oh, and WYSE terminals for doctors surgeries - they were fun (not!); I was made redundant after not too long in the game, and moved on to TV, video & HiFi which I stayed in for many years and enjoyed so much more.

I still build and repair PC's and laptops for friends and families, and they are so much easier to work on now than they used to be.
    WYSE dumb terminals ... sure set up a fair share of those back in the 80's attached to an Altos computer with 8086 chip that supported 16 terminals. Storage was another huge box with a 20MB Winchester drive. Wowsa ... technology at it's finest! A System Administrator was a busy job then, just to keep it all running!

10. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super350 View Post
    ......I now have a USB memory stick with 256GB capacity and hard drives measured in terabytes.....
    Even USB sticks are now measured in terabytes as you can even get one at 2TB but don't ask the price!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/kingst...-as-a-macbook/
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Whilst working for a bank in London in my late teens, it used what was probably state of the art computers at the time - screens of I'd guess 12" x 8" and all in that infamous green text.

I'd memorised my managers account details and was dead curious to know what his salary was vs my £6000pa. I casually ambled across one afternoon inwardly excited at seeing an 'obscene' figure appear and with actual trembling hands typed in the numbers. I tapped the Enter key and, surrounded by around 40 unknown & what I considered senior colleagues, was greeted by the loudest ERR ERR ERR ERR ERR ERR ERR growl from the machine in front of me. If you know the meaning of the word 'panic' then this was it....

Some guy wandered over and stopped it with the push of a button and I made a hasty retreat with the word 'karma' in my head
    1. I'll leave this link as a reminder to me of My First Love: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=77370
    2. My beautiful 2007 X-Type 2.5 Estate (with a mid-sport exhaust) in metallic Quartz Grey was written off in Nov '17 thanks to a moron kid in a Fiesta who thought it'd be a good idea to pull off Mummy's drive with a totally misted up screen..... https://i.imgur.com/vbmT78y.jpg
    3. My new love is a pristine 2003 XJ6 X350 3.0 auto

13. Likes Super350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester12g View Post
    How times have changed huh?

I remember my first heavy IBM desktop computer with a separate monitor that weighed just as much, and dial-up internet, and being both impressed & frustrated at speeds of about 1Mb/s. Then a few years later, along came something called 'Broadband' and I couldn't wait for the letter saying my exchange was ready!

Now, I almost take for granted my 76Mb/s and the fact that I can watch films as though they were through BBC or ITV. As much as I miss some things about the good old days, you can't knock technology can you?
    My internet speed is adequate for my needs.

I remember also using dial up and waiting for an age for pages to load, only thing I miss is the noise of it connecting though.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

15. Likes Super350, MarkFY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    My internet speed is adequate for my needs.

I remember also using dial up and waiting for an age for pages to load, only thing I miss is the noise of it connecting though.
    That is hellish fast!

17. Likes Ian D liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast