Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XJ - No Service History

Post Thanks / Like

XJ - No Service History

Hi

Some advice please

I am looking to buy a used XJ (351) 3.0 Petrol and found one at a main Jaguar Dealer which appeared ideal a 2016 plate with only 9k miles. However on enquiring about number of owners and service history was advised that it was a one owner car but there was no service history ie no services on the car because of the low mileage but it would be serviced by the Dealership if I purchased the car.

My questions are :

1. Assuming the car has only had a pre deliver service back in 2016 - could any damage have been done to the engine/gearbox etc. in the last 3 years having covered only 9k miles ?

2. Would the Jaguar Warranty (2 years on approved used ) be invalid if there was claim say on an engine fault because of the lack of service history ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The best brains in the world couldn’t give you a legally binding answer to your questions

3. Thanks Tony R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The clue to the answer surely lies within your post. The car is being sold by a Jaguar Main Agent, and warranted with the Jaguar Approved warranty, correct ? So I don't see how they could even warrant a car with missing services, but according to the mileage, there are no missing services, except that this is true if mileage is the only counter, but it isn't, there should be a service every 2 years if the mileage is not achieved.

You really need to PM Jaguar CRC on this one and also check with the dealer on what happens if the scenario you describe occurs.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

5. Thanks Tony R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Not ideal at all, but whilst it may have accelerated engine wear, its probably minimal in this case. TBH, its not uncommon for franchised dealers *NOT* to do anything with your car when you take it in for a service, not matter what they claim or what you pay for.

2) Make sure you get it in writing that it has no impact on warranty (assuming the warranty is important to you). Obviously, if the poor servicing has caused high engine wear, then the warranty does cover wear and tear.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

7. Thanks Tony R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony you have just opened a can of worms,what are you paying for it?£2k or £30k what exactly are you looking for? you’re buying after all.
    consider this is it worth to you what you are prepared to pay?the car in question does it look like it’s been used in a recent robbery?
    Has the v5 got a texture similar to the sun newspaper?
    are you buying it without any current mot or service history?
    is the previous owner a regular on the Jeremy Kyle show ?
    I know that some on the forum might think that what I’m asking is irrelevant but every one is entitled to their own opinion ��

9. Thanks Tony R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, does it appear pristine in every way? Does absolutely everything work properly? Does it run beautifully?
    If yes to all of those, it is down to price.
    The lack of service records certainly reduces value, but everything has a price, and only you can decide what you are prepared to pay.
    Bear in mind that even if it does have the Jaguar Approved warranty, it would still be time consuming and frustrating to have to deal with a claim on it.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

11. Thanks Tony R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi

A quick update on the 2016 XJ (9k miles) being sold by a main dealer with no service history ie never had a service

I contacted Jaguar Customer Service and they confirmed that if the XJ was being sold by a Jaguar Dealer the 2 Year Approved Warranty would be honoured.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my XF SV8 from a non-Jag dealer with nothing in the service history at all and it had 23k miles on the clock and was 5 years old! Based on the document history I could see it did most of its miles early on, then had been sold on dealer to dealer a few times and so I decided it had just had an unlucky start to its life and was probably OK. I bought it for an absolute song as a result of the missing history and part-ex'd it for the current car 4 years later with almost 60k miles on it. Completely trouble-free and very glad I took the "risk".

Seems you're in a less risky situation than me. I would do it. In any case, even if the car had been serviced once, what would it pick up in terms of engine and gearbox damage? The most they do at the first service is change the oil and hoover the carpets.
    Glacier White XJR (X351) 5.0 S/C V8

Previous Jag History...
    Black 2009 XF SV8

Previous Cars...
    Seat Exeo, Seat Leon, Ford Mondeo, Renaultsport Clio, Seat Leon, Vauxhall Astra Coupe, Audi A3, Seat Leon, Vauxhall Astra, Renault Clio, Lada Riva

14. Thanks Tony R thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coatesy View Post
    I bought my XF SV8 from a non-Jag dealer with nothing in the service history at all and it had 23k miles on the clock and was 5 years old! ...
    ... and I bought my X351 from a complete cowboy with nothing in the service history at all and it had 21k miles on the clock and was 8 years old.

Most of my non-diesel expenditure since then has been my fault (damned Scottish pot-hole), so I would also say you should go for it.

Remember though that the first rule of warranties is "Anything that could be done under the warranty has either already happened or will happen an hour after the warranty expires, regardless of how long was left on the warranty when you bought it".
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with mac_doctor, the warranties are mostly worthless, but there is a legal requirement for garages to provide one.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast