Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: High mileage Jaguar XK (2008 onwards)?

Post Thanks / Like

High mileage Jaguar XK (2008 onwards)?

Hi all,

Considering a 2008 Jaguar XK 5.0 with 92,000 miles on the clock, full service history (9 stamps) and two owners. I wouldn't be putting many miles into it, probably no more than 3,000 a year. It will be mainly used for groceries, weekend fun, long drives out. How are these cars at high mileage (80k+)? Has anyone been in a similiar position to me and then lived to tell the tale?

I know XFs can go on and on like new but the XK is obviously a different type of beast. I'm happy to invest to maintain it, but knowing what kind of things to look out for and at what cost would be handy.

Thanks in advance,

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi J,

I bought my XKR (December 2007) with 108K miles and full Jaguar service history. It is a 4.2 and I use it for much the same as you intend. i have had it for almost a year and I have had no problems. Just had it serviced and MOT (no advisories!) and some work done on the front subframe which had rusted because there was no undertray fitted. It drives beautifully and the engine pulls like a train. I love it.

I see your intended is a 5.0 (an early one), so I can't speak for the newer engine (I am sure the 5.0 guys will offer advice), but the 4.2 seems pretty bulletproof. The only thing to be aware of is that the 100K/10 year service is a big one and will cost a bit more.

Oh, and I won't mention the fuel...

I would recommend finding yourself a good Jag independent. There are plenty around and if you let us know where you are, there will be plenty of recommendations.

Great cars with excellent performance and reasonable (ish) running costs. I have absolutely no regrets and I would do it all again.
    2008 X-Type 2.2D manual Sport Premium. Emerald Fire with Warm Charcoal full leather interior.
    2007 XKR 4.2. Midnight with Burr Walnut trim. My play car.

3. Likes s collins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or look at it this way - the money you save by buying a high-miler will pay for anything that might need attention.

I've always bought high-mileage 'prestige' cars and enjoyed nice cars for Ford money.

5. Likes s collins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jleblanche View Post
    I know XFs can go on and on like new but the XK is obviously a different type of beast.
    The XK's and the XF's share many common parts so I wouldn't expect the XK to be any less reliable.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~630bhp - 11.925@120.59, max v=124.63!)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

Post Thanks / Like
    In 5 years my 06 XK150 has cost me only a new battery, a brake light bulb and an indicator bulb.
    It is low mileage to be fair, but so far (and looking for wood to touch) has been 100% trouble free.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

Post Thanks / Like
    The car you have in mind is still less than average mileage for the year. I would make two observations:-

less than average mileage is just as bad as more than average mileage. The one thing that kills cars is a change in useage. going from high mileage to low mileage most often sets off a number of problems, and vice-versa

mileage means very little in the overall scheme of things. My daily driver is an X350 XJR (pretty much the same car underneath), which I bought with 150,000 already on the clock. It has taken a while, but I'm finally in "the zone" where it will cope with my now more modest useage of 2500 miles a month and be very reliable. I'm now at 205,000 and its never been more reliable

You will find that the people obsessed with low mileage are the people who don't do any miles and have an over-inflated idea of their car's value

Post Thanks / Like
    Since when is 92K 'high mileage'? That car is just getting broken in. I bought my wife's 2007 XK (4.2L U.S. car) in December of 2012 with 112K miles on it. It now has 147K, and the only issue we've had is an irritating, recurring 'high fuel pressure' code popping up and then disappearing. Of course, the XKs have some personality quirks with which you'll quickly become familiar (e.g. weird things happening if you let the battery voltage get a bit low, ultra-low-profile tires seem to actually seek out and crash in to potholes), but overall, they're simply fantastic, reliable cars. If it's a good deal, stop second-guessing and pull the trigger. You'll be glad you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a coincidence. Shortly after my prior post, I ran across this thread which, again, confirms how odd things can happen to the XK when the battery voltage dips a bit:
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=115140

Post Thanks / Like
    Despite varying comments and observations, I always go for low mileage cars. Less wear and tear on many parts especially the interior and less chance of rust.

There must be a good reason why low mileage cars are always more expensive than high mileage cars.

PS I have a 2007 XK convertible with 25,600 miles on the clock currently for sale a t £16,950 in case its of any interest. Concours condition - almost!
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

12. Likes Jimbov8, Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jleblanche View Post
    I wouldn't be putting many miles into it, probably no more than 3,000 a year. It will be mainly used for groceries, weekend fun, long drives out.
    J
    That was the same thought process that I had over my XK, so with the low mileage that is going to get put onto the car, a higher starting mileage isn't necessarily the worst thing.
    Also, my thinking in taking an NA XK was that the 300hp engine has been designed to be able to take 420hp, (in supercharged trim, of course), meaning that the stresses of the higher mileage would be well within its capabilities. Now, whether this is sound engineering principles or just me deluding myself is obviously open to question
    2006 XK Convertible, 4.2, Indigo with Ivory/Slate Blue, 20" Sentas, chrome grilles & gills, XK60-type body kit & exhaust tails.
    2017 420d Gran Coupe Sport which I am contractually obliged to drive during week days.

14. Likes joc64 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast