Thread: AJ133 5.0 N/A full rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

AJ133 5.0 N/A full rebuild

Hey guys n gals
    First off I'm in the States now, moved here from St Annes, Lancs in '99
    I have a 2011 LR4 with the AJ133 in it, that I picked up for a friend, and a '11 SC Range Rover that the missus drives. The friends only needed the timing chains and cam phasers, then he touched it....
    The result was 2 pistons that decided to say hello to the exhaust valves when he pushed the start button, for some reason.
    Engine is out and stripped.
    I'm hitting a brick wall regards ANY specs on the bottom end though. Everything I have just says "part of short block". I use Alldata for everything we have, all LR's, and have never seen this before. I measure the end float before pulling the crank, but couldn't find any specs on it. Machine shop is having the same issue after I dropped it all off for them to double check cylinder runout, hone the bores, polish the crank, and so on. Zero information
    Also having a heck of a time locating engine internals. Pistons, ring set, rod and main bearings, etc.
    This forum came up on a search where a member did a rebuild, but again no specs listed in that thread. So instead of hijacking his thread, I made my own.
    Any and all help really appreciated
    Here is the carnage. Cylinders untouched if you believe it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistons2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	30773
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	30774

Cheers

Martin

2. Likes DevCon1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Martin.

I can't read the whole thread over on the US forum as it's long, however, there is a chap called Dave Tibbs who knows his stuff. Have a read and you may find what you are looking for, or, get in touch with him.
    Here's the link and I hope the mods don't mind this kind of help; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ebuild-177468/
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

4. Likes DevCon1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thread by Dave Tibbs is a great read for engine builders. I may be wrong but I thought car manufacturers had a legal obligation to make spares and information readily available for their products. Seems to be difficult in the case of these engines.

Dev

X TYPE 2.0D S TYPE 2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading that thread taught me that some 5.0 V8's have a crankshaft pulley bolt that tightens clockwise and others anticlockwise, a total nightmare and massive expense if you don't know beforehand.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the owner is going to go with a replacement used Jag engine.
    They are a few thousand less than a LR variant, and about the same savings on a rebuild.
    Oil pan, pickup tube, and manifolds are what I see needs to be swapped. Then install the LR sensors etc.
    Do you have to mess with the timing to swap oil pans?
    I only pulled the old motor apart, then left out for work, so cant look it over.....

Thanks!!

Martin