You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure that is good - BMW will probably try and buy JLR
    Inactive

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by graham-r View Post
    Not sure that is good - BMW will probably try and buy JLR
    It sounds exactly what the TATA guys were saying a few months back - they wanted a technical partner that could help them reduce development costs. The JLR management must still have very good contacts with BMW so it is not surprising that BMW keeps coming up whenever JLR need something that they don't want to invest in themselves.

It is interesting that they are saying that electric drives are expensive to develop. I guess it must be because of how efficient they must be. The basic technology sounds simple, but what do I know
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

4. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JLR have recently built a battery centre at Hams Hall, conveniently near to BMW.

It’s good news, JLR are way too small a manufacturer to commit a large amount of R&D into EV research on their own. They’ve done well so far though with the iPace and upcoming XJ EV will extend on that.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

6. Thanks MarkFY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking as a `former' modern MG enthusiast who has recently replaced 14 years of utterly reliable 190+ ZT-T ownership with and X-type estate, as far as I'm concerned any BMW cooperation is extremely bad news. You only have to look at BMWs `involvement' with Rover to see that their autocratic approach to every aspect of running the business was doomed to failure. From what I've read, the first design brief for the R75 was to aim at not taking a single sale from competing BMW models. How was that ever going to be achieved, unless you had no sales!? Especially given that Rover had been targetting the BMW market quite successfully before the 1999 takeover.

I heard on the radio a day or two ago that BMW plan to move engine production to Germany (surprise surprise) so any Hams Hall link becomes irrelevant; unless they intend using that factory for electric projects I suppose.

BMW only want the British sales and to put very little back into the UK, they can't even make the Mini TV adverts in the UK. They took Land Rover technology and asset stripped the `new' Mini (repeatedly delayed it going on sale when it could have helped save Rover as an integrated business) and then claimed it as a BMW developed vehicle, when Rover had had it almost ready for market before the takeover. I am infuriated when I see our police and Government car service using BMW vehicles, when they should be using equivalent JLR products. But of course we must comply with EU public procurement tender regulations!?

I'll get off my hobby horse now. I do own a 1990 BMW 320i convertible but I inherited it in sensitive circumstances and have kept it for sentimental reasons. I will never buy another BMW snd hope not to have to buy a Jag or Land Rover with BMW technology, however.

8. Likes Villanova27, rtcosic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Yetton View Post
    Speaking as a `former' modern MG enthusiast who has recently replaced 14 years of utterly reliable 190+ ZT-T ownership with and X-type estate, as far as I'm concerned any BMW cooperation is extremely bad news. You only have to look at BMWs `involvement' with Rover to see that their autocratic approach to every aspect of running the business was doomed to failure. From what I've read, the first design brief for the R75 was to aim at not taking a single sale from competing BMW models. How was that ever going to be achieved, unless you had no sales!? Especially given that Rover had been targetting the BMW market quite successfully before the 1999 takeover.

I heard on the radio a day or two ago that BMW plan to move engine production to Germany (surprise surprise) so any Hams Hall link becomes irrelevant; unless they intend using that factory for electric projects I suppose.

BMW only want the British sales and to put very little back into the UK, they can't even make the Mini TV adverts in the UK. They took Land Rover technology and asset stripped the `new' Mini (repeatedly delayed it going on sale when it could have helped save Rover as an integrated business) and then claimed it as a BMW developed vehicle, when Rover had had it almost ready for market before the takeover. I am infuriated when I see our police and Government car service using BMW vehicles, when they should be using equivalent JLR products. But of course we must comply with EU public procurement tender regulations!?

I'll get off my hobby horse now. I do own a 1990 BMW 320i convertible but I inherited it in sensitive circumstances and have kept it for sentimental reasons. I will never buy another BMW snd hope not to have to buy a Jag or Land Rover with BMW technology, however.
    Without sticking up for any one organisation, there is one comment to make-
    'Look what happened after BMW sold Rover'?

If we want to blame anybody though, it is the poor British management of the day, and those far too willing to sell for short term gain.
    Southern bound from Glasgow town, She's shining in the sun; My Scotstoun Lassie on a border run
    We're whistling down the hillsides, And tearing up the climbs; I'm just a thiever stealing time, In the Border Reiver

Threehundred thousand on the clock, And plenty more to go; Crash box and lever, She needs the heel and toe
    She's not too cold in winter, But she cooks me in the heat; I'm a six foot driver, But you can't adjust the seat,

In the Border Reiver

Post Thanks / Like
    If we want to blame anybody though, it is the poor British management of the day, and those far too willing to sell for short term gain.
    yes, shocking in Australia, shocking in the USA and the rest of the world i imagine

Post Thanks / Like
    Spam dealt with, thread tidied.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

12. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question: does this deal see JLR abandoning the Ingenium engines it has only just developed, to use BMW units? This would seem very silly.
    Still hoping for an ingenium inline 6 petrol motor here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagFan View Post
    Quick question: does this deal see JLR abandoning the Ingenium engines it has only just developed, to use BMW units? This would seem very silly.
    Still hoping for an ingenium inline 6 petrol motor here.
    No.
    JLR are producing an inline 6 right now.
    It's only for the electric side of things, all of which JLR are building here anyway. Batteries at Hams Hall, motors and drivetrains at Wolverhampton.
    So it's more a sharing of ideas, and costs. Who knows, perhaps BMW may use battery packs from Hams Hall. Especially for the Mini.