Thread: A second Jag?

Post Thanks / Like

A second Jag?

Hello all
    I have been very grateful for the info from this site over the last few years as I look after my x308.
    I am now looking at a 2009 5.0 XKR in black with a burgundy hood. The price is low to reflect mileage of 78000k (with FJSH).
    I am holding the car and will not buy without an AA check and have also checked the car as best I can for obvious issues. There is an almost unnoticeable vibration at 70-80 mph which could be suspension.
    I had the suspension fully redone on the x308 for about £900 (arms etc). Is the cost in the same ball park for the XKR?
    I love the black and the burgundy hood is growing on me but would love your opinion on whether this would be a deal breaker for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jag,

Welcome to the website and forum.
    Everyone here is friendly and helpful.

I have owned my immaculate current 2004 XJ-V8 since December 2016 and it's a brilliant car.
    My previously owned Jaguars are a 1996 3.2ltr XJ6 Sovereign and 2 x 2001 S types.

Supertrev.
    Now driving a new purchase 2009 XF 3.0 Ltr Turbo Diesel in Lunar Grey with Dove Grey Leather Interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Sounds like a nice combination. Photos are a must when you get it.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 122K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome!

The XK suspension parts are not frighteningly expensive as long as they don't come in a Jaguar bag. Lemförder are said to be the OEM.

For the very early 5.0 cars, still check for the blocked AC drain. The updated part came a little later. Water pumps sometimes leak. Chain tensioners can get rattly. The rest is pretty much the usual used car stuff. Check everything though and have the codes read after some driving, especially if they have been recently reset! The electrics are a bit fussy about battery voltage. Low and you may see a lot of spurious "non-faults". So if the car has been sitting a while and the battery charge is low, get the seller to charge it up and see if any errors remain.

Colour is very personal. If you like it, why worry what others think? I'm bored of seeing black cars, so for me anything else was prefereable, even white

Maybe this thread could be moved to the X150 subforum as you would probably see some more feedback there.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all ! Not too sure how to post video on your site as this will tell you everything - also I note that there is a regular tick tick sound at idle which is almost exactly that of the x308 only louder from the outside with the bonnet shut (listening from the front of the car). The tensioners on the x308 were done and it is running smooth at 115k miles also as the x150 is less prone to tensioner issues and the inside of the engine visible from the oil refill looked immaculate with the chain I could feel nice and sprung and it has no odd noises on Rev and no noises on drive.
    I guess my paranoid question is - Are these engines a little more noisy/rough on tick-over than the standard V8 (being an R with more pulleys etc.). I note all of them sound quite loud on YouTube but all you tubers speak over the engine sound...
    Thanks a mill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag torque View Post
    Thanks all ! Not too sure how to post video on your site as this will tell you everything - also I note that there is a regular tick tick sound at idle which is almost exactly that of the x308 only louder from the outside with the bonnet shut (listening from the front of the car). The tensioners on the x308 were done and it is running smooth at 115k miles also as the x150 is less prone to tensioner issues and the inside of the engine visible from the oil refill looked immaculate with the chain I could feel nice and sprung and it has no odd noises on Rev and no noises on drive.
    I guess my paranoid question is - Are these engines a little more noisy/rough on tick-over than the standard V8 (being an R with more pulleys etc.). I note all of them sound quite loud on YouTube but all you tubers speak over the engine sound...
    Thanks a mill!
    The direct injection engines are naturally a little "tickier". Not sure if there should be much difference between a S/C and an N/A though.
    Last edited by Neilr; 11-06-19 at 12:40.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Neilr - that gives some comfort.. very kind to get back on that.

Just going through the service history and it had a big bill for pedestrian sensors (good) and another for new gaskets and repair of supercharger (also good) in last 15k miles (both by Stratestone). It also had a note that it dropped down a couple of gears and gearbox light came on whilst on the motorway... Stratstone changed the gearbox oil and replaced the filter which seems to have resolved the issue 10k miles ago - should this last be a worry?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks also for the A/C drain tip. The vin is in the higher 35000’s so hopefully it is a later car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag torque View Post
    Thanks also for the A/C drain tip. The vin is in the higher 35000’s so hopefully it is a later car...
    Hopefully

The change seems to have been at: VIN B34500:

Early P/N C2P16264
    Late P/N C2P21646

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all messages so far - it is the final countdown but the AA have come back to say they do not do car inspections for the XKR as the engine is too big (I fail to understand the logic as the component numbers would not be dissimilar to a ‘regular’ car but anyway). Also the RAC are booked up and want £400.
    The car did not have its 100k service which is now due and the dealer has agreed to have it picked up by jaguar and this service done before it is sold. I spoke to Jaguar Stratstone and the confirmed that they would be doing the service (B) and 100k as part of which they will do a health check. I am broadly familiar with these from servicing the x308 at a dealer. Now the question on which opinions would be gratefully recurved is - would you buy a car on the basis of a dealer health check (plus huge due diligence on what has been done on the car over its life) or, would you still do the RAC check (bearing in mind last time I had this done most of the report read - could not inspect as under cowling/cover/inaccessible)?
    Thoughts appreciated!