Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Spark Plugs (Jaguar XKR 2010)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Spark Plugs (Jaguar XKR 2010)

    Hi All,

    I will be having my 100,000km service soon and the Jaguar garage suggested we change the spark plugs. As I got the car used, I am not sure when they were changed before but under my ownership (past 4 years) and 50,000km later they haven't (i think ). Can you please advise how often they need to be changed? Are they also expensive to replace cause I was not very happy (naturally) with the quote I got.

    Best

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    763
    Post Thanks / Like
    100k miles therefore another 40k kilometres

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s collins View Post
    100k miles therefore another 40k kilometres
    Thank you. Does this mean is not necessary to change them now? I don't have experienced any issues that may be attributed to spark plugs but I am not that savvy when it comes to engines so I don't trust myself.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look in the stickie section

  5. #5
    Senior Member Neilr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mk803 View Post
    Thank you. Does this mean is not necessary to change them now? I don't have experienced any issues that may be attributed to spark plugs but I am not that savvy when it comes to engines so I don't trust myself.
    If it is running smoothly, the plugs are probably OK. But I'm not one for leaving plugs in too long in case they don't want to come out again Say 10k miles a year is typical, then they should still be OK to get out at 10 years of age. I did the S-Type's plugs at 11 years and 40k miles. The book said 60k miles I think. They came out OK and still looked OK but it ran a tiny bit better with the new ones.

    The plugs are cheap (6-7 € each in Germany). The bulk of the cost is fitting as I believe that the rear two could be a pain to swap out. I would have a go myself but if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself, a competent independent should be able to do it for a sensible price? My problem would probably be that I get stuck without a suitable tool and have to order one while the car is unusable. OK if you have a garage to stick it in.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

  6. Likes joc64 liked this post
  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    If it is running smoothly, the plugs are probably OK. But I'm not one for leaving plugs in too long in case they don't want to come out again Say 10k miles a year is typical, then they should still be OK to get out at 10 years of age. I did the S-Type's plugs at 11 years and 40k miles. The book said 60k miles I think. They came out OK and still looked OK but it ran a tiny bit better with the new ones.

    The plugs are cheap (6-7 € each in Germany). The bulk of the cost is fitting as I believe that the rear two could be a pain to swap out. I would have a go myself but if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself, a competent independent should be able to do it for a sensible price? My problem would probably be that I get stuck without a suitable tool and have to order one while the car is unusable. OK if you have a garage to stick it in.

    Thank you so much. I also don't feel leaving them in for a long time. So I think I will replace them now for piece of mind.

    I will most certainly not feel comfortable at all doing this job myself even though I do have a garage...

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Thames Valley
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same quandary, my car is 10 years old but has only covered 43k miles, the service book contains stamps for every year, mostly from recognised Jag main agents, but with a few independents in there. No bills, there is no indication as to whether the plugs have been changed or not. At this point in theory they need doing, during the recent service the garage advised that for an additional £120 they could be changed. I,ve held on this for this year, making an assumption that this hasn’t happened, but will probably ask for them to be done next time out. No indication of rough running or of any problems. My concern might be that they won’t come out for some reason.
    Current - 2009 Jaguar XKR 5ltr in black, Adria Coral Motorhome.
    4 Wheels - Past - SAAB 9.3 Turbo Convertible (5 Years), MG ZTT Rover (5 Years), Mitsubishi Space Wagon (x2), various Volvo's, MG Midget.
    2 Wheels - Past - BMW GS1200, BMW K100, Kawasaki GT750 - many smaller motorcycles.

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Replacing the plugs schedule is mileage related not age and in fairness I take it £120 is labour only ? because you will have the same again in parts

  10. #9
    Senior Member MarkyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    794
    Post Thanks / Like
    I picked mine up for £48 for 8 delivered, although looking on ebay UK that seems to be the price for 4 and you'll need 8, so looks like I got a bargain!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plugs.PNG  
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

  11. #10
    Senior Member Neilr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    I picked mine up for £48 for 8 delivered, although looking on ebay UK that seems to be the price for 4 and you'll need 8, so looks like I got a bargain!
    Nah! they are 42 Pounds a set here, so must be similar in the UK.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •