Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jag judders and stalls

Post Thanks / Like

Jag judders and stalls

The other day I was driving home and felt the the whole car lurching, if I drop the clutch it instantly stalls if I don't keep some measure of throttle.

I've had the hot start issue after disconnecting the battery for some time now and I worked around it with a 6 pin switch and a resistor that tricks the head temp sensor into thinking it is 14c in the head, engine starts every time like this.
    If I start the engine so that it does the 600rpm no throttle response (hot start) you can visually see the engine rocking on its mounts and this is the judder in the car.

I've changed the maf sensor, I don't believe it could be the egr or a leak in the pipe, which is the normal go to for everything. I've had the pipe disconnected from the egr and all it did was make the car gutless.

Any ideas?
    Daily: Since 2018... 2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D SE Estate in Jaguar Racing Green.
    Daily & Fun 2005 to 2018... 1994 Toyota Supra GZ Aerotop in Pearl Red (driven like GTA) (more reliable than the SAS).

Post Thanks / Like
    blocked fuel filter?
    dirty injectors?
    partially blocked inlet manifold?
    2006 X Type 2.2D Sport 108k

3. Likes mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    fuel filter was changed less than a year ago
    injectors changed this year
    inlet manifold is clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Something to do with not getting air and fuel mix right. Popular cause Turbo actuator on it's way out. No biggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    you think?

I was thinking more like timing chain jumped a tooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit74 View Post
    you think?

I was thinking more like timing chain jumped a tooth.
    Possibly. When it starts the actuator arm should throw forward. Lift the bonnet stand with the driver door open and you can see it through the gap when you twist the key.

If it doesn't move forward it might start but it will run weak and stall when you load the clutch.

Can eliminate it at least fairly easily if it is working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    Possibly. When it starts the actuator arm should throw forward. Lift the bonnet stand with the driver door open and you can see it through the gap when you twist the key.

If it doesn't move forward it might start but it will run weak and stall when you load the clutch.

Can eliminate it at least fairly easily if it is working.

It looks like you might be spot on. My actuator arm is stuck ~80% forward and doesn't move at all. I have the old style vac actuator and even giving it a wack doesn't shift it. Turbo fu***d?
    Daily & Fun 2005 to 2018... 1994 Toyota Supra GZ Aerotop in Pearl Red (driven like GTA) (more reliable than the SAS).

9. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit74 View Post
    It looks like you might be spot on. My actuator arm is stuck ~80% forward and doesn't move at all. I have the old style vac actuator and even giving it a wack doesn't shift it. Turbo fu***d?
    If the actuator arm does not move, remove the clip carefully and test the arm movement. If it is stuck then the vanes are clogged. I did the turbo clean a few years ago and it only takes 3/4 hour now from start to finish.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the ability to remove the arm, I have the old vacuum system. I did however remove the two bolts that hold the vacuum system and the arm still doesn't move. Surely the dirty vanes wouldn't stop the arm moving if I was giving it a whack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which arm won't move ? The turbo or the actuator ?
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast