Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iím driving my XK too much

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends greatly on the usage too, I wouldn't want to use any combustion engine for short journeys. But your mileage sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    For a start, using it too much does no harm at all - I'm using my X350 XJR at least 1000 miles every week at the moment and its never been more reliable - the more use you put into a car, the more reliable it becomes, which is always the case with any vehicle. I'd put the definition of using "too" much way higher than this, to be honest.

Life is just too short to put up with something sub-optimal just because some people value a car more with fewer miles on it
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy yourself an XJ8 X350 :P

You can pick them up for very little. I paid £4,500 for mine with 78k on the clock. I split my driving between the two, but the XJ is generally my run-around.

Quote Originally Posted by joc64 View Post
    I have loved owning and driving my XK for 9 months, but have added far too many miles to it and itís bwcome my daily driver - so I want to give it some time alone to rest during the week.
    I recently have been driving to an area west of London near Heathrow for work and my love of the car has started to wear thin.

Up to now Iíve been adamant that the car is a calming influence and somewhat therapeutic to drive ... that is until I started this mad 55 mile 2-3 hour commute.......this morning instead of patiently letting people lane dodge on the m25 parking lot, I lost it and didnít give way when a certain German vehicle decided to cut in front of me a 3rd time in v slow traffic, without using those new fangled flashing orange lights, so I carried on........ my bad .... I now have a huge scratch along the passenger door and weirdly the rear wheel...... all fixable but I am so annoyed with myself.
    (on the other hand the other car lost its wing mirror and the driver his temper along with his M badge, which seemed to bother him more than anything!)

Ive decided to stop using the XK as my daily driver as Iím doing it too much harm! Iím going to just use it for weekends or nice journeys. For the general grind Iím going to get a new car, I know I should be getting a new XE but Jaguar really donít seem keen to sell them, whilst I saw the other day that the end of line BMW M140i is practically being given away.

A silly car like that wouldnít normally be on my list, but as itís relatively cheap and goes like the clappers and actually sounds quite good, Iím tempted ......would you guys still talk to me if I got one?

Iíd love some opinions, on the potential car choice not my driving, but be kind!

3. Likes joc64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    I solved the seating issue by buying an extra Jag.
    Me too. I can heartily recommend the X351 for just this purpose.

I have to say that recovering from an attack of the BMWs by becoming one of them wouldn't be my therapy of choice.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

5. Likes Thomas Hayward, joc64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sat in one of the X351's when my XK was being serviced. Lovely looking thing, and the trim was beautiful.

I concur on the BMW front, plus he'll have to shell out for the option extras (indicators).

Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Me too. I can heartily recommend the X351 for just this purpose.

I have to say that recovering from an attack of the BMWs by becoming one of them wouldn't be my therapy of choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a commuting car, I would want something a little more down to earth and less obvious a choice than a top 1-Series (that is about to be replaced) - something like the new Mazda 3 Skyactiv-X 2.0-litre petrol four-cylinder would be high on my list to check out:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...a/3-hatchback/ but the Skyactiv-X is not available quite yet
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

8. Thanks joc64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may be about to change job and if so I'll have a 7 mile commute along a mostly 40mph road. I quite like the idea of an EV for that sort of commute. The Honda e looks quite funky, in a slightly futuristic, Japanese sort of way. Apparently this is going into production and something like 31,000 orders have already been taken.

The sport version might be quite good fun too, if they build that as well:

Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

10. Thanks joc64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The top one has something of a Golf Mk2 about it. And the cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    For my commute (11 mile each way) I use my C-HR gives me 70mpg going in and 99 coming back, but that's rural motoring or you.

Am a little surprised by the poke in a 1.8 hybrid, admittedly I don't enjoy driving it at much as the Jaaag, but needs must as have an 8k limit on my XK insurance

In truth at 54 am not unduly worried about image so would probs go for a 2017 Suzuki Ignis when the C-HR is retired, under £10k, petrol and £20 VED, no DPF & crucially 'real world' tested at 57mpg.
    Last edited by MarkyM; 13-06-19 at 23:03.
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

13. Thanks joc64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All you say makes sense, but when my choice of car is dictated by how much tax I have to pay then I know The System has beaten me. I don't enjoy paying a £570 fine for having a nice car, but I suppose I can say I'm paying a nurse's salary for a week.

Of course in the long run electric vehicles will have to be taxed just as much as petrol/diesel because they need the tax revenue. It's all just social engineering. That's how we all ended up driving diesels!

15. Likes MarkyM, joc64 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12