Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iím driving my XK too much

Post Thanks / Like

Iím driving my XK too much

I have loved owning and driving my XK for 9 months, but have added far too many miles to it and itís bwcome my daily driver - so I want to give it some time alone to rest during the week.
    I recently have been driving to an area west of London near Heathrow for work and my love of the car has started to wear thin.

Up to now Iíve been adamant that the car is a calming influence and somewhat therapeutic to drive ... that is until I started this mad 55 mile 2-3 hour commute.......this morning instead of patiently letting people lane dodge on the m25 parking lot, I lost it and didnít give way when a certain German vehicle decided to cut in front of me a 3rd time in v slow traffic, without using those new fangled flashing orange lights, so I carried on........ my bad .... I now have a huge scratch along the passenger door and weirdly the rear wheel...... all fixable but I am so annoyed with myself.
    (on the other hand the other car lost its wing mirror and the driver his temper along with his M badge, which seemed to bother him more than anything!)

Ive decided to stop using the XK as my daily driver as Iím doing it too much harm! Iím going to just use it for weekends or nice journeys. For the general grind Iím going to get a new car, I know I should be getting a new XE but Jaguar really donít seem keen to sell them, whilst I saw the other day that the end of line BMW M140i is practically being given away.

A silly car like that wouldnít normally be on my list, but as itís relatively cheap and goes like the clappers and actually sounds quite good, Iím tempted ......would you guys still talk to me if I got one?

Iíd love some opinions, on the potential car choice not my driving, but be kind!
    Current Car: 2011 XK 5.0

Previous Cars:
    2002 X Type, 1967 MGB GT, 1982 Rover SD1 Vitesse, 1975 MGB, 1984 Mini 25, 1973 Mini
    2017 BMM 530e, 2014 BMW 328, 2010 Audi A5, 2009 VW Touareg, 2006 Audi A6, 2000 Land Rover Discovery, 1997 Merc C Class, 1993 Volvo 480

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll allus talk to you

There are a number on here who have German floozy's as well as a Jag.

They'll remain nameless, they know who they are, one of them even has 2

Not got a clue about the specific car you've spotted, but if the math adds up and it's a tad different,

Go for it,

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

3. Thanks joc64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do what you need to do Joc, you'll always be welcome here...

Road age can grab you at any time, shame your car paid the price but she'll get some love and attention and be as good as new I'm sure.

All the best

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

5. Thanks joc64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was an 8-series I could understand it but a 1? It looks like a training shoe.

Was the collision his fault? If so I'd get his reg and pursue redress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    If it was an 8-series I could understand it but a 1? It looks like a training shoe.

Was the collision his fault? If so I'd get his reg and pursue redress.
    Yes it’s small, but it’s just to commute in. Now I do like the look of the new M8, but my budget is a tad short.....and for that money I’d rather a F-Tyoe SVR!

Technically his fault, he didn’t look or signal and signs said stay in lane. But then I didn't give way. We swapped details but agreed it was 5050 so won’t pursue. I don’t want to risk the insurance hit as it’s not dented and I can t-cut and polish it out. I was thinking of a respray at some point as the paint looks tired and there are other scratches and stone chips, might look at that later in the year.
    Current Car: 2011 XK 5.0

Previous Cars:
    2002 X Type, 1967 MGB GT, 1982 Rover SD1 Vitesse, 1975 MGB, 1984 Mini 25, 1973 Mini
    2017 BMM 530e, 2014 BMW 328, 2010 Audi A5, 2009 VW Touareg, 2006 Audi A6, 2000 Land Rover Discovery, 1997 Merc C Class, 1993 Volvo 480

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched from an XK 4.2 2007 Coupe to a 25t Ingenium XE R-Sport. The XE handles better, just as quick, more economical, £400 a year less VED and seats 4 in comfort. I do miss the V8 noise though and the styling, but the XE still looks great and is one of the best point to point cars I’ve driven.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

9. Thanks joc64, MarkFY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucky you, driving too much. I drive it too little, time... But, I'm driving to Italy next week, that will put some km on it
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

11. Likes Ashanti, joc64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a start, using it too much does no harm at all - I'm using my X350 XJR at least 1000 miles every week at the moment and its never been more reliable - the more use you put into a car, the more reliable it becomes, which is always the case with any vehicle. I'd put the definition of using "too" much way higher than this, to be honest.

Life is just too short to put up with something sub-optimal just because some people value a car more with fewer miles on it

13. Likes 8bit, Thomas Hayward, joc64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joc, sorry to hear about your recent troubles with the Beemer driver! What are your requirements for the daily driver, does it have to be another fun car? The M140i may be a little thirsty... a diesel XE however should help you save on fuel whilst not losing that Jag look and feel on your way to work. Then, you'll really really appreciate the sound of that V8 at the weekend (having drove a diesel all week!).

15. Thanks joc64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I solved the seating issue by buying an extra Jag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    I switched from an XK 4.2 2007 Coupe to a 25t Ingenium XE R-Sport. The XE handles better, just as quick, more economical, £400 a year less VED and seats 4 in comfort. I do miss the V8 noise though and the styling, but the XE still looks great and is one of the best point to point cars I’ve driven.
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

17. Likes Ian D, joc64 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast