Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris. T.'s X100 Ownership Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The first year was an adventure, but having eventually got used to parking in ASDA car park without standing guard against rogue shoppers and their trolleys, and rid myself of the (US forum induced) phobia of getting “bore wash” if I drove it on short journeys, I was getting the hang of this Jag ownership thing. So having much against my expectation survived the first year, I found myself in the unexpected situation of considering how I would proceed: sell the XK and chalk “Jag ownership” off the bucket list, or buckle down for the long haul. SWMBO was unexpectedly supportive (I think she quite liked having the Mondeo to herself), so I went with my heart and decided that I would get a service and MoT, and I may as well get those tensioners sorted before it ended in tears. So off we set into:

Year Two (29/09/13 - 28/09/14)

JagCare took care of the business, but the combination of the service and the tensioners left my pocket 2 grand lighter. A small price to pay for another year, I thought! Some rear tyres were also required (£530 was more than I had ever dreamed of paying for tyres, let alone only two of them! Spoiler: they won't be the last.), but if that was all it took to keep growling on, it worked for me.

Holidays caused the first big adventure of the year. I went on holiday for three weeks over Christmas, and when we got home in January, I nipped out (in the pouring rain) to retrieve the car from the children’s place where it had been parked while we were away, and when I got home (after a half mile drive) the window dropped as I opened the door, but didn’t go up again as I closed the door. No problem, I thought, it just needs the windows resetting and then it will be OK. So I got back in the car and started the reset procedure. The windows fully wound down (remember the rain?) but wouldn’t budge from there. An hour later the AA arrived, and pointed out that a battery is a requirement in a Jaguar and leaving an old battery in the car for three weeks without so much as a sniff of charging is not a recipe for success, so £150 went on a new battery. Everything was now working, but I was doomed to spend the next few months drying out the seats and carpets. Somehow I achieved this with no lasting damage (or smell), but that was a period of some misery, particularly as it was self-inflicted. Even after several months quite a lot of moisture is secreted away in the dark recesses of the seat foam, to release itself onto your backside on a long - previously comfortable - drive. Memo to self: think about consequences before starting on maintenance, even something as trivial as a window reset! As you can imagine SWMBO got - and is still getting - some mileage from this idiocy.

The only other expenditure for the year was some sort of JagCare magic fix to the ABS pump, as the ABS light had started coming on. The fix worked, so I ploughed on regardless.

Total for year two: £3,301.73 (inc. tax and insurance) plus £2042.96 on fuel (7,039 miles at 20 mpg for the year, 15,073 at 20.26 overall. Still happy.)
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 25-06-19 at 10:48.

2. Thanks Ashanti, JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Year Three (29/09/14 - 28/09/15)

I was getting the hang of this Jag ownership thing now! I was beginning to get annoyed by the sound of something rattling in the boot - maybe the floor was loose? So I had JagCare look at it. The rear shocks were replaced and the noise amazingly went away! I had an airflow meter start to play up, so that had to be replaced too. Nothing too difficult/ expensive, but while JagCare had the car they had a quick look, and apparently there were six litres of oil missing. Mmm. No visible leaks, no warning lights, no temperature warnings (although I only have the OEM happy dials, not ones that give real readings) They topped it up, and no apparent issues resulted: odd, as there can only have been a couple of teaspoonfuls of oil left in the system! I'm supposed to remember to look at the oil-stick-thing every so often nowadays to see if it is wet. Sometimes I remember.

Total for year three: £1,458.97 (inc. tax and insurance) plus £1,957.88 on fuel (7,692 miles at 20.12 mpg for the year, 22,765 at 20.21 overall. Still happy.)
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 02-07-19 at 10:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info there Chris, filling out nicely and some nice little nuggets too lol

I especially like the "there can only have been a couple of teaspoonfuls of oil left in the system! I'm supposed to remember to look at the oil-stick-thing every so often nowadays to see if it is wet" part. You crack me up lol

Anyone else the engine would've gave up the ghost, but you casually top up with SIX litres and all is well.

Lucky white heather mate, be sure to put the lottery on this weekend

Cheers
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

5. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Lucky white heather mate, be sure to put the lottery on this weekend
    I have to say I did feel lucky at the time, but that was five years ago, so the luck probably won't extend to the lottery this week!

I forgot to add a picture, so here is one of the undercarriage (I don't know why, but it is a bit different!):

... and one from our holiday in Wookey:

Last edited by mac_doctor; 02-07-19 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Year Four (29/09/15 - 28/09/16)

This year is a freebie. I never really expected the car to last this long - I (foolishly) took out a three year warranty when I bought the car (I say foolishly, because I never really understood how to claim on the warranty, so it would likely been a disaster if anything happened for which I needed to claim) hoping that this would give me three years of mid-life crisis motoring, after which I could settle down with my Nissan Micra or Vauxhall Corsa, but that wasn’t how things turned out. Particularly appropriate, as back on 15 September I had an incident that turned out to be significant.

On the way into work one morning, an idiot in an Espace reversed into me. Easily done, I guess, as he couldn’t see me looking out of his rear window as it looks straight over the top of my car, particularly if you just start reversing for no apparent reason. Damage shown below:

In the normal run of events, I would have had a look, sucked my teeth, and let it go (as noted, I thought that the car had outlived expectations anyway, so a dent here or there wasn’t going to ruin my day), but the guy was a ****. He looked at my pride and joy, and asked me why I hadn’t reversed out of his way (there was an artic right behind me, so this wasn’t a sensible question). So I exchanged details, and prepared to send his insurance the bill.

I sort of forgot about it, but in November (hence it falls in this year) the insurance got in touch, and told me to take my car to the bodyshop for an estimate. £4,057.09 (inc. VAT). Who knew that the front bumper cover would be £990 (+VAT)?. Now I really began to worry that the car was a write-off, and tried to console myself that I was going to get £4k back anyway, but no, they went ahead and repaired it! Now I’ll have to keep it, shiny new nose and all.

The most amusing feature of the year was finding that there was something brushing my head as I was driving along. I had a quick look above my head, but all seemed in order: the furry roof carpet seemed a bit loose, but nothing out of the ordinary. A few days/ weeks later this was no longer the case, and the whole thing was, to be honest, a little saggy (I had to do something to hold it above my eye line!). Drawing pins turned out not to be the solution, so after consulting the fora (here and on the .com) and much Googling, I came across HeadlinerWorld in Kent: they shipped a (£150) headliner to JagCare, who fitted it for me. HeadlinerWorld now seems to operate pretty much exclusively out of eBay, but assuming that they are the same people, I heartily recommend their product. Perfect match, and came with matching A-pillar coverings. JagCare also did something to all of the brakes to make them work again while they had the car in (£670 brakes and headlining fitting).

An episode of Restricted Performance (restricted to 3000 rpm? I don't think I ever go above 3000 rpm anyway!) led to a new coil (I don't know what that is, but I now have a new one - £75). The coolant system, never really completely operational if I’m honest, had a bit of a glitch requiring a new header tank (£500 fitted), and a pair of front tyres to go with the rears from two years ago (another £350) were the only other significant outlays.

Total for year four: £2,605.18 (inc. tax and insurance) plus £1,891.76 on fuel (7,646 miles at 19.40 mpg for the year, 30,411 at 20.00 overall)

8. Likes #steve, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love reading this it's hilarious. I get the impression your some sort of mad professor who wears a brown coat with 20 pens in the top pocket lol.
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    I love reading this it's hilarious. I get the impression your some sort of mad professor who wears a brown coat with 20 pens in the top pocket lol.
    Lol snap
    Chris, the mad professor

Nice thread, good info though Chris, just a little light on the pics

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12