Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Improving fuel economy

Post Thanks / Like

Improving fuel economy

I don't use the XKR anywhere as much as I would like to so what it burns is not that significant but it is still a bit irritating only seeing 20 mpg on the display.

The Battery Monitoring System has been in action recently, and after the initial panic at seeing the charge voltage at shockingly low levels, I hoped that there was no problem and just kept an eye on the voltage. Eventually (short journeys only) the voltage started to come back up but the battery was still showing only 12.2v or so. I though I would give it a helping hand and took a trip out into the edge of the Black Forest, 30 miles or so in all. Stayed at around the speed limits and came home with the display showing 10.1 l/100 km (27.7 mpg). Now, considering the roads are not straight and it is hilly, I'm quite impressed.

I'm not sure if I'm smoother with it or that the slight tweak to the tracking to dial out the scrubbing of the edges has helped. What the tweak to the tracking has definitely done is to make the steering noticably more direct and natural. The car feels more compact and is easier to place accurately on the road. The steering felt a little rubbery and dead before.

I need to come up with more excuses to take to the open road, me thinks
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Neil, those MPG figures are not that bad for a 5Ltr. Had you doubled the distance ,ie 30 miles each way , you may have seen the magic 30MPG

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 122K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm always pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy of my XK and my XJ (not that I bought either with this in mind). On long journeys, they're surprisingly frugal for a pair of V8's.
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    My XKR 5 ltr does 'I don't care' miles to the gallon !!!
    Jaguar XKR x150 Cabriolet 2010

5. Likes OCD-Jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to find myself quite often at a petrol station

Admittedly, I only use the car for long trips and the occasional stroll to the super market (its my only car) and commute to work every day with my e-scooter or bicycle. I think my display is stuck at 10.1 l/100 km since the day i bought it

On a positive note petrol is cheaper in CH than in Germany or France (fill up with 100 octane around 90-95 pounds give or take).

7. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsw View Post
    My XKR 5 ltr does 'I don't care' miles to the gallon !!!
    It might at German speeds! Once you let it creep up to 110-120, you don't want to go slower because it is doing exactly what it was designed to do, except that that little grey bar at the bottom of the screen seems to get shorter at a similar rate
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.

9. Likes mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    110kph is about 68mph - we're allowed to do that in the UK too!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    It might at German speeds! Once you let it creep up to 110-120, you don't want to go slower because it is doing exactly what it was designed to do, except that that little grey bar at the bottom of the screen seems to get shorter at a similar rate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post

for me in the German autobahn the car behaves at its best at 160-170kph at cruising speed. Butter smooth, feels solid, steady and extra power on demand for the occasional take over. Its sublime ...

12. Likes mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    I didn't expect you to understand kph

14. Likes Thomas Hayward, DevCon1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When speaking to people who are based in continental Europe, I always assume KPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    I didn't expect you to understand kph

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast