Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 S-Type R

Post Thanks / Like

2003 S-Type R

Hello, so 3 days ago I bought a 2003 S-Type R with 132k miles. He mentioned he did a catalytic delete, so he said some code might pop up for it. But what I did notice was that driving on the highway if I pushed the pedal pretty hard, the gearbox fault code would come up. I do have the check engine light on already, but if I press hard on the pedal and pass like 70 the light comes on. So I honestly donít know where to approach this problem from. Iíve read itís not really the gearbox but it can be numerous things like the ERG, bad wiring, also something about moisture taking over something in the engine. But I rather share my experience and see if I can get any help. Thank you guys in advanced. I appreciate any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to our madhouse bud.

First, you need to.get a scan tool to read the codes, it's not good shooting in the dark because it can cost you a lot more needlessly.

As the EGR have been deleted and he said it would throw codes, this is possibly that.

As a health check, measure your battery voltage at its terminals. For a good battery in constant use in an STR you should see 12.6+ volts.

The other thing you should do is the Throttle Pedal Limits reset.

That has solved Restricted Performance on kickdown and hard acceleration for other owners.

Here's the thread but read it all the way through, it's in our S Type Stickies subforum along with a shipload of good info:
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=78977

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the tips. So new thing happened. I did a really hard launch and after I stopped and chilled the engine starts tweaking and three signs came up. Engine Systems Fault, DSC not available and the ABS sign. So Iím worried what is wrong. I turn it off and on and itís gone and no check engine light 😂. Iím very lost at this point.

4. Likes stanboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ABS, DSC and sometimes Park Brake faults together are symptoms of low battery voltage.

Anything less than 12.2 volts will cause these because the electronic control modules can't operate reliably.

But sometimes it's a genuine ABS sensor fault, usually one of the rear ones. They aren't expensive and are easy to replace, wheel off and one bolt. Clean the reluctor ring and bolt in the new sensor.

Note that your car takes the sensor without cable, same one fits both sides.

A Jaguar specific scan tool like an iCarSoft i930 or one of their later models should show which one is faulty and can read all modules too.

But some of our members have had problems with each of them so it's best someone else with an STR should tell you which one to get.

So... battery voltage check and fault codes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again so much. Im going to start on the battery and I just ordered the OBD2 so I will update when it arrives as well for the battery issue. I appreciate you

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I was wondering any modifications I should make to the car to make it run smoothly again. Again thank you for any tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the car checked to determine what exactly has been removed, don't take the sellers word, so that we can advise you correctly.

For example if he really removed the catalytic converters and not the EGRs that could cause serious problems.

The STR is a max-tuned road car as standard, but our petrol heads will soon be along to tell you how to blow more money for more blow and tyre wear!

Find a friendly local mechie to lift the car and just say you just bought the car cheap and you're worried in case what's been removed may be illegal, that way you're covering yourself and you'll get a sympathetic check.

Let us know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I didn't even know that so I will definitely check that, Im trying to find a mechanic to do it. I live in New York Queens, only mechanic I found was JagPro but I heard he doesn't do the job. So I will stick with my mechanics. Thank you so much againnnn !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the Workshop Manual and as many guides and references as you like for your car from here: http://www.jagrepair.com

There are also Electrical Guides (wiring diagrams) Technical Service Bulletins and OBDII guides and general "How To Do" guides there.

And more in our S Type Stickies subforum too:
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Your 2003 STR, the 4.2-litre Normally Aspirated (non-supercharged) V8 and the 2003 3.0-litre and 2.5-litre are known as the "x202" and the breakpoint from the early 1999-2002 x200 S Types was VIN M45255. You can see your VIN through the small window at the left (or right) bottom of your windshield.

They are also known as the "2002.5+" S Types.

Your car like all x202+ models is equipped with the ZF 6HP26 6-Speed Automatic transmission, we think it's the best in the business.

We'll tell you more about that later, such as fluid change.

In 2004 and 2006 two more changes were made and known as x204 and x206 models. The 2.7-litre diesel was released in late 2004.

Let us know if you'd like more info, no problem.

11. Likes DevCon1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey so I was looking online for a bluetooth aux in method for the radio. I saw JagDroid but me doing it seems impossible lol and the price I got was too high, but I saw some other device called D2B and they connect it to the cd changer in the trunk. Do you know of any of these and what do you recommend I do. I currently have the fm bluetooth one but I hate that static lol. Thank you

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast