Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A third of cars failed the updated MOT test in its first year

Post Thanks / Like

A third of cars failed the updated MOT test in its first year

" Just over 10 million cars failed the MOT test in the year from May 2018. That compares to 7.3million fails during 2017, before the changes were introduced - an increase of 37 per cent "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...test-year.html
    XF SV8 A - USB 2 - B&W 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - CAT Suspension - TPMS - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with DRG and TIS - ACC - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    The MOT started out as a good idea, just covering simple basics, now it has got completely out of hand covering many non safety issues and silly minor faults.......And that is before rip off garages abuse it as a cash generator.

It needs to either vastly simplified, returning it to its original format, made 2 or 3 yearly or ideally done away with all together, as many US states have done.

3. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by santer View Post
    " Just over 10 million cars failed the MOT test in the year from May 2018. That compares to 7.3million fails during 2017, before the changes were introduced - an increase of 37 per cent "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...test-year.html
    The report is very unclear as to the causes of the failures.

It mentions emissions and particulates but along with other categories.

The Most (actually lack of one) does help immensely by taking unroadworthy vehicles off the road which would otherwise cause more hazards and pollution so while I think it can be stretched to 2 yearly I don't agree with dropping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure that there are many conscientious MoT testers that would indeed fail an unroadworthy vehicle for a serious fault just as there are those who fail on minor things like headlight alignment so that they can make extra money with little or no extra work (yes, that has happened to me and it was a con trick by a garage chain no longer trading).

Anyway, I've just had an MoT done (not my X-Type) and as usual I watched. It seems that the usual guy no longer worked there and so the somewhat harrassed garage owner decided to do the test himself. It took him all of ten minutes and for another twenty minutes he disappeared into a back office and eventually returned with my Pass certificate. Yes, he did the brake roller test and emission check, lights, washers and horn, put it up on the ramp and merely shone a torch behind each wheel but did not bother to check for any play in steering or suspension, merely looked at the exhaust and then lowered the vehicle. The seatbelts were not examined and nor was the fuel filler cap. Now, I'm not a mechanic, but that test seemed somewhat incomplete to me and if that is happening up and down the country then it makes a mockery of testing for road worthyness.

Cars today are more reliable so I would certainly suggest testing every two years is adequate and maybe go back to having more independant council run testing stations - we used to have one here but was closed some years ago and the nearest is about 40 miles away.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the rules are daft. My old S-Type R failed because the headlight washers didn't work, apparently they have to work if you have xenon lights.
    1968 Jaguar 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    The seatbelts were not examined and nor was the fuel filler cap. Now, I'm not a mechanic, but that test seemed somewhat incomplete to me and if that is happening up and down the country then it makes a mockery of testing for road worthyness.
    So presumably you refused the "pass", handed back the certificate and took your car to another testing station?

Or did you ask them to test the car properly for your peace of mind?

Or did you just accept the pass certificate with relief and made a sharp exit?
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
    So presumably you refused the "pass", handed back the certificate and took your car to another testing station?

Or did you ask them to test the car properly for your peace of mind?

Or did you just accept the pass certificate with relief and made a sharp exit?
    If the car was a heap of junk and it passed I might have been tempted to report it to the DVSA, but no, I'm quite sure the car's fine as I do all the visual checks myself and I do usually use this garage - I don't want to get barred assuming they stay in business of course!

So the obvious answer, as you no doubt have guessed: I just accepted the pass and made a hasty exit!
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    It took him all of ten minutes and for another twenty minutes he disappeared into a back office and eventually returned with my Pass certificate. Yes, he did the brake roller test and emission check, lights, washers and horn, put it up on the ramp and merely shone a torch behind each wheel but did not bother to check for any play in steering or suspension, merely looked at the exhaust and then lowered the vehicle. The seatbelts were not examined and nor was the fuel filler cap. Now, I'm not a mechanic, but that test seemed somewhat incomplete to me and if that is happening up and down the country then it makes a mockery of testing for road worthyness.
    You are fortunate to have a local garage that takes a fairly relaxed attitude to MOTs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
    You are fortunate to have a local garage that takes a fairly relaxed attitude to MOTs.
    Except that I suspect this was the first and last time it will happen.............

Post Thanks / Like
    If they have the one man system then when they jack the car the vibrations would show up defects in the steering and suspension. They have mirrors to check operation of all lights without moving from the drivers seat but of course have to use the machine to check aim etc of the headlights. He should have checked for play in wheel bearings and checked each wheel and tyres etc.Must admit though checking seat belts and fuel filler is a must. The time he takes in the office is to record his findings and this is more time consuming than before where he just wrote out the certificate and stamped it.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 122K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast