Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catalytic Converters

Post Thanks / Like
    For my car the jaguar price for replacement cats is £795+VAT

Swallows Jaguar do a 200 cell cat for £50 less per unit.

My observations:

1) The original cats look like they've been constructed in the 3rd world, the welding is atrocious (yes I know you don't look at em often!)
    2) Original cats are much heavier due to far more medium
    3) Original cats are 950 cell so 80% more restrictive, blame the yanks and their Californian emissions laws*
    4) The 200 cell cats are lighter, stronger (SS) and look like a work of art as are TIG welded

* Where I suspect most Jag sports cars (albeit convertibles) are sold. Weird fact but the US is the 7th most polluting country on the planet, but the figure's measure as 'per capita'. So where the 6 highest have a combined population of less than 50m, the USA had over 6 x that number...so go figure!
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    original ones were replaced 3 years ago, (they were both blocked up and causing missfire). Replacement ones have blown themselves to smitherines and nothing left on nearside cells, and not all there on off side either. I think (unless someone knows differnt here) that there is not a specific aftermarket cat available for this model, so you have to go original Jag (very expensive) or universal sports cat (varying price and quality).

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your £795 plus vat per side or for both and is that parts and fitting ? My ones that were fitted in a Jag indy in Berkshire were universal ,cost £1,300 inc vat and fitting both sides and have lasted precisely 20,000 miles and 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Each is the jag and swallows price £795/£745 per side. The 4.2 may be cheaper from them, I could only price based on my VIN, so give em a call, appreciate that's excluding fitting.

I've only driven for 37yrs/500k miles and I have only even had a cat damaged by a half brick, boy did that make a sound at m'way speeds. I suspect there may be an underlying reason for your cat failure and another replacement may suffer the same fate.

What type of annual mileage do you do, at what sort of speeds/conditions?
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a couple of these for my 4.2 XKR after I could no longer bear the smell and the noise of running with no cats:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-5...t/302127588345

You will need a tune to take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust plus to disable O2 sensor warnings though.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~630bhp - 11.925@120.59, max v=124.63!)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

Post Thanks / Like
    Available for £121.22 inc free shipping from a UK seller on ebay. So worth a punt and if they don't work then not too much wasted. If they do then result!!!
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    I would look for a new "indy".

Cats don't fail any more - I haven't seen a genuinely failed one on a any car made after the nineties. Fuel injection programming is such that you can't feed the cat a mixture that would actually cause it to fail.

I suspect that the problem here is a MiL lamp appearance with the corresponding code being "cat health". For (USA) emissions performance reasons, your fuel injection system is fitted with four lambda (exhaust oxygen content sensors), the downstream ones of which measure how your cat is performing. When the performance drops by a certain amount, you get the warning lamp. This is all fine and good, but the threshold for this warning to come on is set way too high for the UK - it's set to US limits. As a general idea, to get from the MiL lamp threshold to an MOT fail requires a drop in performance of another 1000% or so.

My own car occasionally illuminates the MiL through cat health, but at the very same time can pass an MOT test with 0.000 readings for every measured gas.

What I would do in this circumstance is to flatten the codes that you have, complete the road-test procedure for normalising the new stored fuel trims and then take the car on a long and very hard blast to get the cats you have as hot as you can - this will give you the best chance of keeping warning-free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123