Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Views on tyre replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Views on tyre replacement.

So my 2010 (my), 3.0 S D, will soon be due a new set of rubber.
    When I first bought the car over 3 years ago I immediately fitted a set of SP Sport,
    245/40R 19, as recommended by Jaguar.
    They have done 17000 miles mostly long fast journeys, not screeching around corners.
    Myself and passengers have always been happy with ride quality.
    I could probably get a few more thousand miles out of them, but safety is my overall priority.
    Nevertheless over the past few years I have noticed negative comments on this forum about these tyres, and never understood quite why.
    However I am happy to listen to any views you may have by personal experience.
    Checking prices correct tyres seem to be in the £140 to £170 range per corner.
    Last edited by Lenticular; 22-07-19 at 13:50. Reason: Incorrect mileage

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, the Dunlops went through a patch of splits appearing on the inside walls, so much so that they were being replaced FOC by Dunlop, I have no idea if this is now a past problem or not. I have used the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3 "J" rated for some years now and find them exceptional, especially in the wet, they are also rated at 67db, one of the quietest on the market, but the "J" is the most important bit, the ordinary Eagle F1's are rated at 69db so it's easy to see the correct ones. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

3. Likes JimC64, Poundy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lenticular, I don't have an XF but an XJ X351, previously an XJ X358 and have covered many miles over these past 25 years, around 1.6M to date

I've had so many Pirelli / Michelin / Bridgestone, Conti's etc and they're not always what they're cracked up to be, but very expensive and you can be paying for the big brand name

I'm fairly sure the Dunlops you mention are the ones that have been splitting / delaminating all over the place, but please double check by all means

Here's a few comparisons for you below, using Blackcircles where you can buy online and have them fitted at a centre near to you

Dunlop SP Sport 245/45/20 wet B / fuel C / noise 72db £149.41 each, total £597.64
    Kumho Ecsta PS71 245/45/20 wet A / fuel E / noise 72db £131.82 each, total £527.28 LESS £20.00 promo £507.28
    Avon ZZ5 245/45/20 wet A / fuel E / noise 70db £119.58 each, total £479.82

The Dunlops aren't even offering the best grip in the wet ( which is where you want it living in the UK )

The Kumho's and the Avons outperform the Dunlops in every area except fuel economy. I've had around 4 or 5 sets of Kumho's on my X351 / X351 and previous to that my Audi A6.

A really good tyre that performs well, does what it says it does and lasts too, I highly recommend this so called "mid range" tyre

The Avon's are fantastic too, currently have a set on our X type, been on about a year, no dramas and lasting very well

Hope to hear what you decide and which way you go

All my best
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your input so far.
    Just noticed that Pirelli P Zero tyres are priced well and see according to KwikFit that they are listed as Jaguar OE.
    But for which model?
    I have a soft spot for Pirelli as when I bought my first cars in the 60's I always went for Cinturatos and they always served me well, even skidding around in my Mk 1 Spitfire !

7. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenticular View Post
    Thanks for your input so far.
    Just noticed that Pirelli P Zero tyres are priced well and see according to KwikFit that they are listed as Jaguar OE.
    But for which model?
    I have a soft spot for Pirelli as when I bought my first cars in the 60's I always went for Cinturatos and they always served me well, even skidding around in my Mk 1 Spitfire !
    I used to be a big fan of Pirelli back in the day and had any a set on my cars, got tyres but they're soft and wear quite quickly I found

The Pirelli P Zero 245/45/20 is wet B / fuel C / noise 72db £147.83 each, total £591.32

They will be worse in the wet than the Kumho's and the Avons and are also a noisier tyre

Just as an aside and I'm sure you probably already know this, The Jaguar OE fitment is nothing more a recommendation period, a tyre with the same specs / sizes etc will do just fine. In fact OE manufacturers make deals with the tyre manufacturers to take hundreds of thousands of tyres from them at discounted prices in return for making them OE fitment. This will often persuade future owners to stick with them down the line and help top increase sales

Cheers
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

9. Likes GeoffR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of things to remember - very few people start threads on forums on how normal a tyre has performed. Search for problems with any tyre brand and you will find similar reports.

The other point is that the EU ratings are exceptionally vague not particularly comparable between manufacturers. One manufacturer's wet A seems to test like another manufacturer's wet C. A tyre that is labeled quiet is often not the quietest tyre on test! Let a manufacturer do their own tests and you get interesting results!!!

Look at some independent tests to see how tyres actually compare under the same conditions. For example, http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Just out of interest compare the Dunlop with the Avon. Officially:

Avon ZV7 RR: C WG: A Noise: 70
    Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 RR: C WG: A Noise: 68

So on paper very close.

But in the test, the Dunlop was very good. The Avon came in 10th.

Proof enough that the EU labels are not much of a guide of anything at all

Btw, I only found one mention of the ZZ5 and it came 9th out of 10 in an AutoSport test in 2014.

The top brands might be a bit more expensive, but they generally seem to perform a bit better too giving you a little more margin should anything go awry.

EDIT: A tyre that is testing consistently well but is still cheaper than the famous brands is the Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125. There seems to be no real trade off with that tyre. Note the top two in this test and compare with the last one: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
    Last edited by Neilr; 22-07-19 at 15:15.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Philayl1 I have replaced my 19" Dunlops with the Jag rated Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3, I am well pleased with them and been in the habit of fitting them on all our cars in recent years.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Like Philayl1 I have replaced my 19" Dunlops with the Jag rated Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3, I am well pleased with them and been in the habit of fitting them on all our cars in recent years.
    Would 100% agree with that, excellent tyres.
    Jaguar 3.0 P.L. Sportbrake, Black with all black interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Goodyears are looking popular ...

Over the years when I was doing big annual mileage I experimented with different tyre makes but always found myself returning to Goodyear for longevity, reliability, good cornering and great grip in the wet.

I too now have a set of Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's which I swear by but I see that in your size there is a brand new Asymmetric 5 slightly discounted through Blackcircles @ £143.22 per corner (fitted) whereas the Asymmetric 3's come in at £149.46. The 5's do list as being slightly noisier though (72dB as opposed to 69dB).

Happy tyre hunting!
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at Michelin PS4's, as they're not much more than the GY F1 assy 3's & a better tyre.

You might also look at Hankook. I've run their S1 evo 2 & V12 evo 2 they're both very good + can be had cheaper if you shop around.

I like Pirellis but find they take a while to warm up go 'off' near the end of life (tread depth).

ATM I've got GY F1 assy 3's all round on the XF S & PS4's on the STR.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast