Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello! Thoughts on this car / advise?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! Thoughts on this car / advise?

Hello,
    I'm hoping for a bit of advise from some owners as I've looked at the normal buying guides, Pistonheads etc.
    This car is near-ish to me and I'm going to view it at the weekend all things being well, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907260491624?radius=1500&make=JAGUAR&advertisin g-location=at_cars&sort=distance&model=XKR&onesearch ad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=sy36ds&page=1
    What should I be looking out for? Is high mileage a problem on these? All the reviews I have read seem to suggest the car is very reliable but I haven't really heard from any high mileage owners.
    Anyone use one as a daily driver?
    A bit of my car background. I've had 2 V8 camaros. I sold the last one, last year (pic attached). It was a six speed manual LS1 (5.7 alloy block) good for 350bhp at the crank. We moved house and now I'm in a position to buy another car but the american/classic car market has ballooned and I think most of the cars on sale are ridiculously priced. I missed out on a ltd edition 96 corvette early this year and have been kicking myself ever since!
    So I got to thinking about the X150 XKR as I've always admired the shape but thought they where out of my price range but it turns out there not!
    Currently I'm driving a old 96' Lexus LS400 (had to have something with a V8!) which I have to say is great for comfort but not exactly a occasion like my previous cars have been.
    DuncClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1900790_10204103786819645_3071632139564769592_o.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	363.4 KB 
ID:	31338

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 2008 midnight black XKR with 78,000miles 6 weeks ago and daily it. Looked for around 6 months before purchasing it - many looked good in photos but in person were very tatty internally and externally, or had no or minimal history. The one I picked up looks brand new inside and out and has stacks of history. Bought my friend who worked at a paint shop and we couldn't pick up anything to criticize on the exterior and there isn't a scratch or bolster wear anywhere inside. It had a new battery, discs and pads too, plus red painted calipers done well. Note that I am currently getting ~17mpg driving in city centre - increases much more on longer motorway runs. Has all options apart from adaptive cruise.

Only issue I have is getting the air con recharged - it would only take half the required amount. Prob needs new compressor or condenser, but I bought it private and factored that into cost. Got it about £3k below forecourt prices for cars in much worse condition, so I have a war chest to get it sorted. Booked in for the centre exhaust section mod at the end of the month.

The engines and drivetrain seem reliable - they put these engines in so many different models, plus many have far over 100k miles on them. I would suggest going on condition and service history than mileage.

Regarding the car in the advert - I would try and find a 2008/9 model as those moved the horrible massive aerial from the rear quarter into the boot spoiler and had piano black centre dash trim to break up the turned aluminium (don't think much else was changed).

Read the forums and check the usual items like duck bill dampness etc...
    Last edited by effkay; 31-07-19 at 14:02.
    2019+ - '08 XKR Coupe, Midnight black, 4.2 V8 S/C.
    2013+ - '98 Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf, 2.0 TS, track car.
    2013 to 2019 - '05 Subaru Wrx PPP saloon, 2.0 hybrid T.
    2008 to 2013 - '03 X-Type 3.0 Sport, 3.0 V6, manual.

3. Likes Z28DUNC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The garage add suggests there has been 9 jaguar services and 4indie however without any supporting paperwork these services may amount to nothing more than oil services .Service costs climb at 60/80/100 k miles ,and that doesn’t take into account non service items such as stand alone alarm,pedestrian sensors,aircon condenser,suspension bushes,all common failures upwards of 60k miles and 7/8 years old .

ps with the car listed 07 plate there might be an issue with the rear quarter window brackets
    and don’t listen to effkay regards the antenna that’s part of the cool look alongside the real gear lever��

5. Likes Z28DUNC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s collins View Post
    and don’t listen to effkay regards the antenna that’s part of the cool look alongside the real gear lever��
    Dont worry. I still have the J-gate, just without the bumper car antennae
    2019+ - '08 XKR Coupe, Midnight black, 4.2 V8 S/C.
    2013+ - '98 Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf, 2.0 TS, track car.
    2013 to 2019 - '05 Subaru Wrx PPP saloon, 2.0 hybrid T.
    2008 to 2013 - '03 X-Type 3.0 Sport, 3.0 V6, manual.

7. Thanks s collins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well after reading some reviews on the dealer it sounds like they are a bit dodgy but if I can get a test drive to a least experience on thats what I'm really after.

Thanks for the input so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dunc,
    Two years ago I bought a 2006 XK with 70K miles from a reputable independent dealer after my previous car ended up suddenly shorter in someone's front garden. I had only a week to find new wheels and the XK was the surprise winner.
    Previous cars had been up to as high as 160K miles so 70K was no issue - as long as it's been well cared for I just see it as more car for the money.

Issues:
    1) Two months after purchase the car developed an intermittent starting problem; the dealer fitted a new starter motor for free.
    2) Five months after purchase a faint noise came from the NSR wheel; a local garage replaced the bearing under warranty.
    3) Earlier this year the cooling fans were coming on after short journeys - a piece of the (plastic) thermostat housing had broken off and partially blocked the cooling system. That one did sting a bit as it took some effort to trace.

But when you think it's now 13 years old and 1/3rd the price of a DB9, how can you not have one?! It looks amazing from every angle and everyone likes it
    Last edited by simpo3; 31-07-19 at 19:51.

10. Likes N/A, Z28DUNC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a FYI, I owned a 97 Z28 for 7 years. Had to change the water pump at 60k miles, only problem I had with it. Changed the exhaust on it for sound, otherwise just washed and polished. Great car. So is my XKR
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

12. Likes Z28DUNC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Just as a FYI, I owned a 97 Z28 for 7 years. Had to change the water pump at 60k miles, only problem I had with it. Changed the exhaust on it for sound, otherwise just washed and polished. Great car. So is my XKR
    Thats interesting to hear. I had a '97 before my 99', loved both of them. The waterpump was the only major thing I had to change on my '97 too! I notice you have a CTS-V too, wow nice

14. Likes No Quarter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28DUNC View Post
    Thats interesting to hear. I had a '97 before my 99', loved both of them. The waterpump was the only major thing I had to change on my '97 too! I notice you have a CTS-V too, wow nice
    Hi Dunc,

I am also in Shrewsbury and have a 2006 XK 4.2. I have had it a little over a year and bought it at 99,000 miles, I have added about 3,000 miles in my ownership. During that year I have spent a little over £2,000 getting the car into top order. Things do need doing as you get towards 100,000 miles. Plugs are due with a major service at that mileage, and suspension parts need replacing. I have had shocks, bushes, drop links etc, all done.

I am overseas for work at present, but back in Shrewsbury next week. I'd be more than happy to show you my car and offer any advice I can if that would be helpful to you? Send me a message and we will take it from there.

16. Thanks MarkyM, Z28DUNC thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunc why do you think the dealer dodgy? Ask as they've 239 reviews and 4.9 overall score.

At that mileage it really should have had a couple of transmission fluid/filter changes.

What I would do (and did when I purchased mine last year) was:

1) Insist on a free Jaguar main dealer health check
    2) Get them to put it through a new MOT and address all advisories

Apart from that it seems pretty tidy

Would be interested to learn what the £2.6k of optional extras are...the seat side bolsters look non-standard, but I could be wrong??
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast