Thread: Potential new XE owner

Post Thanks / Like

Question Potential new XE owner

Hi, I am new to the Jaguar forums, and potentially will be getting a used XE in the near future, I prefer a manual gearbox and it would have to be diesel.

Can anyone give me buying advice, what to look out for, common problems etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help with the diesel side of it as I have a petrol but the auto gearbox is very good. I would advise you to have a drive in one, if you haven't already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always had manual gearbox, had a xf now a xe both auto and would never return to manual again. It has the best of both with the flappy paddles.
    Deisel is good and economical but think about the adblue. If you only do smaller trips considder petrol.

Post Thanks / Like
    As above really. I'm running a 180PS auto and am sold on it. And that's after doing 240k in a manual X Type!

Hope you get one and don't forget to post some pictures when you do
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Posted in wrong forum....
    Last edited by MickJagger; 12-08-19 at 11:40.
    2019 XE HSE P250

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum!

The manual is no longer available on the facelifted XE, it’s auto only now as not many people bought one. The manual XE does have a downside too in that remote climate start via the phone app is for autos only.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Is the R Sport

Question arises, does the R Sport have lower, perhaps stiffer suspension or is it a standard set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove my 1st car with an Auto box in 1994 and apart from an 18 month experience with a manual box in an Abarth 500 (the only way to drive one of these) have remained with auto to date.
    Jaguar XE Prestige 2.0i

Post Thanks / Like
    Sport versions will have stiffer suspension and, (usually), very low profile tyres, but the ride height will the the same. If you really want a harsh ride go for the Sport, but me, I want comfort. My 2017 XE Portfolio 20D has the Comfort suspension and I am entirely happy with the ride quality. Wheel size is 19" with 40 aspect ratio tyres. The tyres are different width front to rear. Sport models will also have variable dampers that switch between Hard and Soft.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are considering a used XE with a manual gearbox DONT. The gearbox in the early XE s was horrible with what seemed all the wrong ratios to suit the engine and road speed. On a launch event for the XE i returned a car they gave me with a manual box after about 3 miles as it was so bad and insisted they gave me an auto version. I understand the latest creation of the XE is now well sorted and what it should have been from launch but the early versions were not good and reflected in the poor sales against BMW 3 series and Audi A4 which was the market sector Jaguar needed to break into.
    2 rejected F Paces for a 2018 XF 2.0D AWD Sportbrake. caesium blue with goodies. 2006 4.2 XK Convertible Frost Blue & Ivory for wonderful summer use.