Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: A new cat in the yard! :-)

  1. #1
    Senior Member mrmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like

    A new cat in the yard! :-)

    Bit the bullet and got an S-Type R today, year 2003. I was searching for a good S-Type for years now, and the only two worth mentioning were one 2.7d, and this one I bought. The car had 112.000 Km on the clock when I bought it. Both interior and exterior are in fantastic condition (will try to add some pictures later). The guy who drove it couldn't prolong the drivers permit, so he decided to sell the car.

    There are some stuff to get to; a replacement of expansion tank (I got a brand new in a box from previous owner). I get the errors on the das: coolant level low and coolant pressure low, but this seems mainly to be connected to the sensor, as there is no coolant loss. I also need to replace the clip for one window trim that is a bit loose + it would be nice to replace drivers door seal. Other than that, the car seems great.

    Apart from that, the car has new tires, repaired headlights, aligned wheels, replaced filter and oil in the transmission, and oil in engine and differential. The guy also installed sport intake, but I will probably return the original back (maybe only the filter box if possible, don't like dusting up the engine). Also replaced brake oil, and brake pads where needed. I almost have nothing to do on the car, which feels a bit weird. I have to install a CD changer (I also got that with the car), and the guy seems to have fitted in an Alpine system, after the fact - I have noticed the amplifier in the back. As for NAV, I don't have a clue if it works - no CD, could anyone post latest DVD image for EU?


    The car is an absolute joy to drive. It is just amazing how effortless driving the car feels. It is smooth, yet firm, and performance is nothing short of fantastic. It is like being in a dream.





    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

  2. Likes Robinus, C16RKC liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Jim_S-V6_2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations bud.

    You have now been bitten! Smitten!

    No other car short of a supercar will ever be as satisfying after an STR.

    It looks like a long list but you can get through it slowly and enjoy the car between jobs.

    What did you mean about the last owner couldn't extend his driver permit, do you mean he's old or ill and can't renew?

    .
    Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 13-08-19 at 13:21.

  4. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    STOKE ON TRENT
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    returning the oe airbox will most probably give it more performance
    the 4.2 SC engine generates masses of heat and at low speeds this heat sucked in can cause power loss due to high inlet temps and ecu retarding timing to compensate
    the standard airbox is very good and give cold air feed and ram air effect from the front
    K&N replacement panel filter in the standard airbox is a better option
    keep the aluminium inlet pipe, which actually flows better and give more supercharger whine, ideally wrapped again to to stop heat soak from engine bay heat
    JOE, 2004, JAGUAR, STR, ZIRCON BLUE, STAFFORDSHIRE.

  6. Thanks mrmut thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC, Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
  7. #4
    Senior Member mrmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEDOTCOM View Post
    hi
    returning the oe airbox will most probably give it more performance
    the 4.2 SC engine generates masses of heat and at low speeds this heat sucked in can cause power loss due to high inlet temps and ecu retarding timing to compensate
    the standard airbox is very good and give cold air feed and ram air effect from the front
    K&N replacement panel filter in the standard airbox is a better option
    keep the aluminium inlet pipe, which actually flows better and give more supercharger whine, ideally wrapped again to to stop heat soak from engine bay heat
    That is exactly what I thought. The engine bay seemed quite hot, so air inlet in the engine bay itself seems quite contra-productive. If understood well, I can simply return the stock filter-box in the car?
    (I would skip high-flow filters, as they are not good for the engine. Letting silica (dust) into the engine is a bad, bad thing. It is like gradually introducing sandpaper into it.)

    I just have original intake in a carton box by my side, still haven't looked inside. All new to me.

    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

  8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  9. #5
    Senior Member mrmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Congratulations bud.

    You have now been bitten! Smitten!

    No other car short of a supercar will ever be as satisfying after an STR.

    What did you mean about the list owner couldn't extend his driver permit, do you mean he's old or ill and can't renew?

    .
    The guy was too old. He bought it new, and drove it for the last 15 years sporadically. (I think the car was enshrined in the garage, given the state of it. - It is like new.)

    I drove it a bit today on the highway, and the acceleration is literally insane. I mean, wtf. ) It took me some time to discover that I haven't been using kick-down at all. Dude, is this thing fast.

    And the supercharger is amazing. You can't hear it at all during normal driving. However, press the pedal, and it starts screaming like the earth is tearing itself apart, and it goes, and it doesn't want to stop! The noise feels like at the same time both heaven and hell opened, and singing to you. It is just brutal.

    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

  10. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  11. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking STR .... enjoy!

    Got mine just over 1 week ago .... loving it
    2005 STR
    Upgrades:-
    Adamesh Exhaust
    2003 S Type V8 SE

    Retrofits:- Voice, premium amp, ACM, bluetooth, OEM park sensors, auto wipers, STR rear lights, rear blind, OEM spoiler, XF stalks
    Upgrades:- Jagdroid, reverse camera, Autofold mirrors, Audiocontrol LC8i, JL Audio XD7005v2 amp, JL Audio C3-650 front, JBL coax rear, JL Audio 6W3v3-4 (x2) subs, Alpine Ezi-DAB, LED interior, mesh grills, Adamesh exhaust

  12. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  13. #7
    Senior Member Jim_S-V6_2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,029
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    The guy was too old. He bought it new, and drove it for the last 15 years sporadically. (I think the car was enshrined in the garage, given the state of it. - It is like new.)

    I drove it a bit today on the highway, and the acceleration is literally insane. I mean, wtf. ) It took me some time to discover that I haven't been using kick-down at all. Dude, is this thing fast.

    And the supercharger is amazing. You can't hear it at all during normal driving. However, press the pedal, and it starts screaming like the earth is tearing itself apart, and it goes, and it doesn't want to stop! The noise feels like at the same time both heaven and hell opened, and singing to you. It is just brutal.
    .
    OK, all good.

    BUT!

    Just be careful, and don't boot it all the time.

    Remember other drivers aren't expecting you and they come out in front of you without looking when you're doing 200kph.

    Sometimes they come out deliberately to block you. They are getting worse in the UK too.

    Where are you (country)?

    .

  14. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  15. #8
    Senior Member C16RKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    2,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely car - especially with 400bhp!

    Congratulations!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

    Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

    www.autosanity.com

  16. #9
    Senior Member Neilr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done! Looks like you hit the jackpot - a well looked after and almost unmolested example.

    Enjoy
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

  17. Likes C16RKC, mrmut liked this post
  18. #10
    Senior Member mac_doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Gosport
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you should take the cardboard and duck tape off of that thing (whatever it is) before you try to fit it.

  19. Likes mrmut, paulkebab liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •