Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new cat in the yard! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    OK, all good.

BUT!

Just be careful, and don't boot it all the time.

Remember other drivers aren't expecting you and they come out in front of you without looking when you're doing 200kph.

Sometimes they come out deliberately to block you. They are getting worse in the UK too.

Where are you (country)?

I promise I will behave.
    Croatia, btw.
    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    I promise I will behave.
    Croatia, btw.
    Ah, OK.

Are there many motorways, and what's the maximum speed allowed?

What's the driving like generally, are people courteous to other drivers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, OK.

Are there many motorways, and what's the maximum speed allowed?

What's the driving like generally, are people courteous to other drivers?

Well, in cities you better not break the law. 50 kph is the limit, but you can safely pass with 60. If you go over, you will pay very costly tickets. I usually set the car to autopilot at about 56-57 and that's it. It is also safer a lot, I generally dislike people driving fast in populated areas.

On the highways, almost everywhere (we have a lot of high-quality highways), allowed speed is 130 kph. In practice, that means you can drive 150 kph without causing any issue, or risking a ticket (tickets are not as expensive as in towns, and no negative points). Occasionally you can have issues on the highway, but that is a rare thing. People are usually normal, minding their own business. There are those with newer cars driving fast, but you let them pass. As for people blocking you, you won't see that often in a Jag; the marque has a right of passage. It is the same even in my 2.0d. I am always annoyed when I drive some other car marque, how you get completely ignored. Maybe it is different in a hot car, but generally you will be ignored.

On open roads allowed speed is 90 kph, with about 20 kph + of safe margin (not getting a ticket), and phenomenal bends. Sometimes we go on road trips around and just enjoy the roads. They are phenomenal, thought the forest and fields, well-maintained roads and beautiful bends.

As for the drivers, I would say they are generally OK. In big cities people tend to get nervous as traffic is usually a soul-wrenching experience. The worst is on the seaside cities, where people have a blend of Slavic and Italian mentality. In smaller cities it is great. Really no big issues at all. In general there are some bad apples, but mostly it is fine.

When I am driving, I presume that everyone else has a right of passage. People get quite confused by traffic.

EDIT: One thing that I failed to mention, worst part of people driving a car is moving faster than they can react and stop. You can see that the best on right corners (left in UK?) where you don't see where you are going. I *always* slow down in such situations, not to risk a life of a cyclist or a boulder (once I have seen a wolf on the road thru the mountains, stopped and was watching him and he glared back, for some minutes, magnificent animal). However, what you will find that people will very often drive shoddy cars very fast in critical conditions, without any possibility to stop. That is quite stupid, and you should aways let such people pass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that's a good insight and sounds like you do have reasonably safe considerate drivers.

As you can imagine there are careless drivers in every country. Some of the videos of crashes in Russia are horrendous. In the UK on motorways many drivers are driving too close to the car in front and when there is an accident there can be several cars involved.

Here in Cyprus the limit is 100kph and we are allowed 120kph. But many hog the right hand lane.

There are usually no police on the highways, sometimes only 1 patrol car. So after you pass one you can drive as fast as you want. And many fools drive 140+ kph. Many of those are young girls, delivery drivers.

You have some wonderful scenery to explore too. If you have time to post some photos that will be interesting to many of us.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 13-08-19 at 12:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that's a good insight and sounds like you do have reasonably safe considerate drivers.

You have some wonderful scenery to explore too. If you have time to post some photos that will be interesting to many of us.

Actually, that would be a great idea. The funny thing is that most of the tourists (and we get a *lot*) drive exclusively on highways, get to their destination, and that's it. Google Maps, Waze and other navigation softwares don't really help exploring, because they try to actively skip any local roads. That means that most of the local roads are almost completely empty. Yes, highways are faster, but what you can see on local roads is stunning. I mean, there are literally roads crisscrossing the mountains, valleys, lakes, rivers, deep forests and whatever else you can imagine, and there is no one to see around. It is often that you run across only one or two vehicles in an hour, meaning the road is yours, and you can drive fast (100-110 in practice). It is stunning.

Will try to snap some imagery, as I am just preparing on the trip. Won't take the big cat tho, I have to solve air intake, headlight leveling and expansion tank, and drive it a bit to be sure all is fine.

Then I also need to get LPG system in the car, not to bleed money on fuel, it is expensive here (you can literally see the fuel needle moving).

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the price of fuel?

Here (Cyprus) it's average €1.25 for 95 octane and €1.29 per litre for diesel. It was €1.06 and €1.12 at the beginning of the year then crept up month by month.

I think it's usually the same number in GB£ in the UK but motorway service stations charge up to 30p more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prices, approx, they vary:

Petrol, 95: 1.30 EUR
    Petrol, 100: 1.45 EUR
    Diesel, premium (all diesels are "premium" here, called "eurodiesel", but drivers usually know which fueling stations actually get the good stuff): 1.30 EUR
    LPG: 0.60 EUR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEDOTCOM View Post
    hi
    keep the aluminium inlet pipe, which actually flows better and give more supercharger whine, ideally wrapped again to to stop heat soak from engine bay heat
    Can you elaborate a bit what to use to wrap a hose? Ironically, the best material seems aluminum tape, as it is reflective, however it seems that some plastic, high temperature resistant material would be better for it insulating properties?

Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    In the past Ive used the glass tape type as used on exhausts, then you can go over the top with aluminium tape or a lot of people have started to use the gold reflective heat shield tape
    both are available on ebay, the cooler you can keep the pipe then better it is at low speed due to lack of airflow
    JOE, 2004, JAGUAR, STR, ZIRCON BLUE, STAFFORDSHIRE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEDOTCOM View Post
    hi
    In the past Ive used the glass tape type as used on exhausts, then you can go over the top with aluminium tape or a lot of people have started to use the gold reflective heat shield tape
    both are available on ebay, the cooler you can keep the pipe then better it is at low speed due to lack of airflow
    Posted new thread on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12