Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Southpaw Day

Post Thanks / Like

National Southpaw Day

According to Classic FM,today is national southpaw day...

As a left-handed guy,I found the ability to 'feel' the gears meshing in an Eaton twin splitter 'box a huge advantage whilst working as a lorry driver.

However,whilst laid under my much late lamented S Type,I usually found that the final pull to properly tighten a bolt could only be done with my right fist.

Any other 'south paws' here?
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Right handed, but left eye dominant; so, I do some things "righty" and somethings "lefty"... I identify as a "lefty".
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too.

I lost a lot of strength in my left hand and arm due to a trapped nerve in my elbow which was relocated about 5 years ago but hasn't stopped the weakening.

For example I can't hold something in my left hand strongly enough to tighten with my right, sometimes even a very tight bottle top is beyond me.

What caused yours?

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 13-08-19 at 18:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a lefty. Changing gears on a manual was easy. I prefer autos though.
    2002 2.1SE.
    Retro fitted CD changer, GSM phone, Voice Control and Sat Nav.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm naturally left handed,as is my sister.

I've just had a fight with a tin of corned beef...the little key thingy was missing so I had to use a can opener,a right handed can opener...the straight sides were almost easy,it was the corners that had me swearing!

Up to me breaking my right wrist,badly in two places,at work some years ago I had been able to train my right hand to almost the dexerity level of my left...I could,for example, stand at my workbench with a chisel and mallet forming a joint in a lump of wood and just swap the tools from hand to hand,as apposed to putting the tools down and re-positioning the wood in the vice.Unfortunately having a lump of bone missing from my right wrist and two other bits screwed together,I have lost that ability and now am losing grip in my right hand as well!
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was at junior skool teachers used to try to stop a couple of classmates from using their left hand and forced them to use their right hand. I don't remember any tears that silly mums half my age talked about recently, making mountains out of mole hills as usual. I know it didn't upset the kids, they got on with it and probably became ambi.

When I got to high skool they didn't mind which.

Our best handwriter was a left hooker.

Did it cause any difficulties later E30?

Post Thanks / Like
    What,being left-handed?

As a lorry driver,it aided me with non-syncro 'boxes,I was able to 'feel' the gears meshing on an Eaton twin splitter 'box.

Currently,I'm working Saturdays and Sundays for Herpes delivering small parcels,I need to use a scanner,I've found that placing the cage I'm scanning from to the right of the cage I'm scanning to is very much easier! Baffles the depot manager,though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good!

Btw I just found out that it's actually International Lefthanders' Day, not National.

And that 11th August was Son and Daughter Day.

15th August is St Mary's Day, a big celebration in Cyprus.

And... Get ready...

August 26th is... International Dog Day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004;

August 26th is... International Dog Day!

Woof woof!

You obviously have far too much time on your hands!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    Woof woof!

You obviously have far too much time on your hands!

Of course! Forcefully retired, on permanent holiday, how else to keep the grey cells satisfied?

I had to double check you and came across the others.

So now you've got the advance alert, make sure you set up a nice day for your doggy!

Moonpig's a good place to start 🐕 🐕

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast