Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uprated supercharger pulley diameter?

Post Thanks / Like

Uprated supercharger pulley diameter?

Does anyone happen to know diameter of 10% uprated supercharger pulley?

There are three available: standard, 6% and 10% pulley.

I have one here, but am not sure which one is it, as I received the upgrade kit with the car. The diameter of the one I have is about 76mm. I presume it is the 10% one.

Thanks
    Jaguar S-Type R / year 2003
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not sure about those diameters, but what i do know is that you should read well into changing the pulley before doing any modifications. There's a lot to say for changing it, but there is also a whole lot to say for keeping it stock.

Something about more compressed but hotter air not necessarily being more efficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's the 6% which is what I went for. The problems that Alexbrz mentions above are only apparent in race track situations where heat can have a negative effect, for the road it's highly unlikely to be an issue. A couple of members who sometimes post here have fitted modified intercoolers but I think they're USA Cali based hence a warmer climate.
    Previous : 1992 3.2 XJ40, 1997 4.0 V8 XJR - Current 2003 4.2 Black STR

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock upper, 2.90"
    1.5lb upper, 6% 2.750"
    stay away from the 2.5lb 10% pulley it makes tooo much heat.
    Custom manifold back 2.5'' exhaust's , with gutted/sleeved 200cell magnaflow cat less chambers . X-Pipe . twin silver bullet 2.5'' center chambers . Twin Dynamax 2.5'' half chamber rear mufflers . Bosch/Merc 010 IC pump . 4 Liter IC capacity tank . Isolated IC header tank . 3'' alloy J-Pipe . Mishimoto baffled catch can . EGR bypass . 1.7L autorotor KB TS

midnight 03 STR

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. Didn't want the 10% pulley, seemed as a too much. I would have to modify the cooling system with a stronger pump.
    As I see it, if they decided to go with 6% on a later mode STR safely, than that should be OK long term.
    Also, I don't really have anyone here who I could trust to machine down the supercharger for the smaller pulley to be mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't have other STRs to race I would not strain mine, it's designed for optimum for road use already and can beat almost everything I think?

You really don't want to break it do you?

Go chew up some BMWs and Audis to remind yourself that it can.

How much will LPG conversion cost, and how will it perform?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    If you don't have other STRs to race I would not strain mine, it's designed for optimum for road use already and can beat almost everything I think?

You really don't want to break it do you?
    ... made me think. No, I REALLY don't want to break it. However, I thought there is no ill effect, as later versions had the uprated pulley? (and i kind of got it for free).

I am waiting for the 3/16 hex to arrive to do a SC drain and refill next week. I even have SC repair kit with bearings and all, but would really like to skip that until really needed, because it is a big job to do.

How much will LPG conversion cost, and how will it perform?
    The cost will be around 1700-1800 EUR.

Performance will be identical, but the engine will work calmer and cleaner. Difference in consumption is about 13% for the difference in calorie value of LPG vs petrol. I am counting on 16L/100 km. Current efficiency is about 14l/100Km. I am counting on a thoroidal 43-45 L tank, which gives out 34 - 36 L of LPG capacity, meaning I will have to refill every 200 Km, which is fine by me. About the same as owning a Tesla, and on a trip I am counting on fuel efficiency of 8-9l, meaning 350-400 Km per LPG tank.

Money wise, this will mean that price for 100 Km travelled will fall from 22 EUR to 10 EUR, which is less than with my X-Type 2.0d.

YES!!

Post Thanks / Like
    there is always room for improvement jim ha ha was thinking of getting one of those pulleys as well the bmw and audis are getting quicker ha ha
    2002 jaguar s type r
    spec zicon blue dove grey leather interior sunroof phone no premium sound no satnav
    mods mina stainless exhaust caldoofy air intake

9. Likes mrmut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thathawk View Post
    there is always room for improvement jim ha ha was thinking of getting one of those pulleys as well the bmw and audis are getting quicker ha ha
    Ah but... Yebbut... Nobutt...

Uhhh.... Hmmmm!

Nah... I'd be happy knowing I can after burning a few mil off the rear tyres.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what is the negative effect of the pulley? A bit. more pressure? Can we quantify the impact?

Maybe if higher flow pump is installed cooling is not an issue + the supercharger oil is really ought to be replaced relatively often. It is too cheap not to do it.

I was thinking doing a oil refil - replace oil, drive for, say, 10kkm, and flush again?

The same with engine. Was thinking of washing it inside, draining everything, and refilling again. That would clear the sludge and tars. The color of oil during replacement should be honey yellow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast