Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Renewal

Post Thanks / Like

Battery Renewal

What has to be reset when then the battery is replaced. An auto electrician garage told me that the computer may need resetting after the new battery was renewed and they wanted £30 to do it. I thought it was only the windows and the EPB had to be reset on my 2.2 start/stop SE.
    Mark
    XF2.2 SE 2012, S Type 2.7 XS 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not let them do it. Reset the EPB, windows and any memory functions you may have.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced my own battery, the system on the car senses the battery voltage & adjusts accodingly.
    2009 XF 3.0 Diesel S Portfolio
    2005 2.2 D Estate (soon to be for sale).

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery Status Monitor how is this reset. What will happen if it’s isn't reset
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is all you need to know about the battery monitoring system. Enjoy
    http://www.londonroadgarage.com/imag...monitoring.pdf
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

6. Likes MarkFY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marki View Post
    What has to be reset when then the battery is replaced. An auto electrician garage told me that the computer may need resetting after the new battery was renewed and they wanted £30 to do it. I thought it was only the windows and the EPB had to be reset on my 2.2 start/stop SE.
    So I roll up to Halfords shop to get the AGM battery fitted and must say I was very impressed with the ex AA retired part time tech who fitted it for me.

He started by connecting a spare battery to the OBD2 diagnostic port to keep all the radio, windows settings etc safe. He then disconnected my C Tek comfort leads and the battery leads and mauled the old 27kg battery out and the new one back in

After it was all fitted he hooked up the OBD2 reader and set the battery to the BMS and stop/start system and cleared some codes etc. Not sure if it was my imagination or the adaption to my casual driving style feature had been cleared, as it seemed a lot more responsive when on my way lol! All for the princely sum of £25 about a third of what Jaguar would charge for the service.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Most decent battery fitters will no longer install the AGM battery to a stop/start and BMS equipped car unless the new battery is registerd to the system. They will sell you the battery as a DIY but will not fit it. The BMS and stop/start systems are very complex and for them to function to their full potential all the stars need to be aligned

If you haven't got something like icarsoft to set it up yourself I think a fitting charge with old battery disposal and all the bells and whistles is good value @ £25/30, considering what a dealer will charge for the set up.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw777 View Post
    I replaced my own battery, the system on the car senses the battery voltage & adjusts accodingly.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your advice Jimbov8, johnw777, Poundy & Edibrook. I think I might buy the Exide AGM 019 battery from eBay for £136 and get the garage to fit it for £30. They wanted £196 to buy and fit. Is it also worth renewing the Start /stop auxiliary battery as the white Start /stop symbol is illuminated on my dash.
    Last edited by marki; 17-08-19 at 07:28.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted a new battery myself three years ago and only reset the EPB and windows.
    2013 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury stop/start Caviar red metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast