Thread: 1st attempt; Leaper Logo Projector Lens

Post Thanks / Like

1st attempt; Leaper Logo Projector Lens

I was on Flyryde YouTube channel and saw where he was able to get etched projector lens for unique lighting accents. However, the fabricator is trying to retire next year apparently cause they're REALLY pricey. Always looking for a project I decided to make my own.
    I used our vinyl cutter to cut a 2⅛"circle with the Leaper profile on center. I used a paint masking material that I used for custom stencils and then I sandblasted the Leaper, etching it into the inside of the projector lens.
    Not bad for a 1st attempt. Next time I'm going to play with image rotation and the shadow function to cut a stencil that will leave a more 3d effect. I've also been toying with the idea of painting the etched area with a coat of candy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190818_134302~2.jpg   20190818_134302.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Redesigned the image for the second attempt

So here's the results of the second attempt at etching projector lenses. I decrease the size so the majority of the image is visible from nearly any angle and added some detail to give it a better perspective. Not as 3D as I was hoping for but much better than the first attempt.

I also tried a layer of annodized red paint over the 1st etching. That didn't turn out well. Partly due to reapplying the stencil when proved to be a headache to align but also the paint didn't look very good from the front side after it dried. It came out looking like something sticky on the lens.

I also learned that you must keep your sandblaster aimed directly straight at the image and carefully watch that the glass around the edge of the masked area first get hit with a direct shot. That's what happened at the inside lower part of the U. Luckily the lenses are cheap and I've already had several requests for other vehicles.

I'll update this as I go. I just picked up a set of Camaro SS lights today and I'll post those once I have them lit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190820_204737~2.jpg  

3. Likes FlatCap liked this post