Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant questions

Post Thanks / Like

Coolant questions

Coming home the other day when a little Opel Corsa rushed up behind me and sat aggressively on my tail. He was so close that I couldn’t see his bonnet badge.

This happened on a country lane about a mile from where I live, and unless I pulled right over (risking scratches from brambles etc.) there was no way for him to pass.

So what to do? Right, foot down to the floor and watch him recede at a rate of knots. This lane was slightly uphill which made it even better.
    OK a bit childish I know, but don’t these twots pass you off?

Well a bit further up the road my “coolant low” warning came up.
    I was very close to home, the temp gauge was on normal so I continued on.

When I arrived I checked the coolant level and this was just a tiny bit low.
    I have occasionally in the past had to add a bit of coolant.

The coolant light was off when I next used the car. I went on a decent run and did do a bit of an “Italian tune up”. The low coolant light came on again.

When I returned home I removed the (newish) expansion tank, wiggled the level sensor, replaced same. Light out.

Could the fact that the engine was revved higher than normal, raising coolant flowrate or temperature cause a bit of a weep somewhere?

Any suggestions welcome.......................................P
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    As the engine gets hotter, things will expand and take more coolant. That's why an "expansion tank" is named as such. It's to make way for and have spare coolant for expansion in the cooling system
    Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport 2001.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuspd View Post
    As the engine gets hotter, things will expand and take more coolant. That's why an "expansion tank" is named as such. It's to make way for and have spare coolant for expansion in the cooling system
    I understand this. That is not my question.

I asked "Could the fact that the engine was revved higher than normal, raising coolant flowrate or temperature cause a bit of a weep somewhere?"

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and how was it resolved.

Regards...................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pappy View Post
    I understand this. That is not my question.

I asked "Could the fact that the engine was revved higher than normal, raising coolant flowrate or temperature cause a bit of a weep somewhere?"

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and how was it resolved.

Regards...................IP
    Of course it's possible. You don't know this happened though do you? It sounds more like the coolant was a little low and you thrashed the car, causing it to draw more coolant into the system.

If you're constantly having to top up coolant fair enough, but just the once? You may be diagnosing a fault which doesn't exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    On mine the small hose nozzle at the top of the expansion tank in front of the bleed screw had cracked at its root IP.

There were coolant stains on the tank seam.

I see yours is new though.

There are many places where coolant can seep, hidden too such as the cabin heat exchanger matrix, below at the DCCV, and so on.

K-Seal, everyone's seeming enemy, is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies fellas. My original expansion tank did indeed crack where you suggested Jim. You are right about many places where a weep could occur. The low coolant warning has come on three or four times usually after a bout of spirited driving.

I check all my fluid levels regularly Marcus, and don't have to top up very often. You are right I could well be squealing before I'm hurt.

I have searched my copy of the workshop manual with the aim of checking resistance values of the low level sensor. Unfortunately I drew a blank on this. I have read that this works with some kind of float that can stick. These are the kind of reasons I started the thread.

I would be afraid to use K-seal. I never have used it but it seems a bit of a quick fix that could do more damage than good.

I think I will loosen off my expansion tank again and have a root around. (if the showers will let me)

Regards....................................IP

Post Thanks / Like
    My old 740i Beemer had a slight coolant leak. It would report coolant low shortly after starting on a cold morning, but never when warm, so I assumed it was maybe the valley pan gasket, which sealed up when warm. I put a cup full in every 3-4 weeks and did this for over 3 years and 100,000 miles. It never got any worse.

My S Type has had K-Seal put in it some time in the past and it;s a nightmare to flush out. It can block the heater matrix and on my 3.0 S Type was the main cause of the DCCV being blocked and needing replacing. It contains lots of tiny copper particles, which I've seen wear away an auxiliary coolant pump on my ex's old 525i BMW.

8. Thanks Irish Pappy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used K-Seal successfully to seal a 4 inch separation of the side tank on my old Vectra.

Instant seal within a couple of minutes after the coolant had got to running temp.

It lasted until I replaced the rad.

It's no good bunging K-Seal in dirty systems or after other chemicals have been put in, that's a recipe for disaster. Many people do that then blame the K-Seal.

The manufacturer would have been sued to death if it was to blame for the blockages.

Look at Holts Radweld, Stop-Leak etcetera too for small coolant leaks.

I would use Steel Seal for cylinder head gaskets, not K-Seal, and only after talking with the manufacturer.

Here's an apparently neutral review by a mechie who takes cars apart after K Seal:
    https://www.fixmyoldride.com/coolant-leak-repair.html

Extract:
    "Here’s one thing I liked about the vehicles I've seen use this. I didn't see any damage. When I use the word damage, I'm talking about the product hardening in the wrong places."
    Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 19-08-19 at 14:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would replace the expansion tank as no sealant will seal it and the crack only gets bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by capri v8 driver View Post
    I would replace the expansion tank as no sealant will seal it and the crack only gets bigger.
    I have examined the expansion tank and there is no evidence of coolant leak, a new tank was fitted August 2016 and was a good quality one (Meyle)
    If there was a weep I feel sure there would be evidence of this.

Cheers.......................................IP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast