Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xk vs Xkr -real world performance

Post Thanks / Like

Xk vs Xkr -real world performance

So i haven't driven an xkr 5.0 but have read reviews which says performance is blistering
    I thought the 5.0 NA wasn't slow by any means and probably about the same as my old xkr x100 4.0 or my Z4MR -which were no slouches TBH
    The question is where can one realistically explore that kind of performance on public roads nowadays -i guess the same could also be applied to the 5.0 NA
    I suppose i enjoy the feeling of knowing that the performance is there -bit silly i admit -also it makes for unstressed overtaking -and then there is how the XK looks -at least my eye just gorgeous -perhaps not as nice as the X100 if im being honest
    I never really explored the performance of my Z4M or my XKR as i can't afford to lose my license and on coutry B roads where i live all it takes is for an old lady or tractor to pull out and its curtains
    Do many of you take your XKs on the track ?
    I never did with my XKR as i was scared of it being damaged as insurance doesnt cover track use
    I did track my caterhams which was much fun in days gone by -alas my old mans back wont allow to drive a 7 any more

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldfart View Post
    The question is where can one realistically explore that kind of performance on public roads nowadays -i guess the same could also be applied to the 5.0 NA
    The XKR seems completely effortless to me. It always seems to have more go than required so never has to be stressed. A to B across country on roads with speed limits, I doubt any journey times in our Mazda 2 GT would be more than a few minutes longer but the effort required may be higher depending on traffic and terrain.

On the Autobahn, you can pick any speed you like and the XKR still seems to have more to give. On the derestricted stretches it could open up a gap on the Mazda but in the end it does not make any appreciable difference apart from the sense of fun and the burning of a lot more fuel.

You mentioned blistering - The US mag. Car and Driver did instrumented test on both the 5.0 and the 5.0 S/C. To 60, there is only a second between them, which in percentage terms is actually quite a lot, but by 150 mph, that gap grows to 10 seconds. The XKR is really pretty fast for something fairly non-exotic from 2009.

So, no, most speed limits are to low too get these cars to feel like they are doing more than pottering, but if you get the chance to unleash them, it is fun and surprisingly easy.
    Last edited by Neilr; 27-08-19 at 14:18.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree in terms of bang for buck its hard to top the XKR -i'm sure you can more responsible fun in Germany than over here in UK
    Out of curiosity how fast do folk actually go on the Autobahn -do the Police turn a blind eye

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity how fast do folk actually go on the Autobahn -do the Police turn a blind eye
    Where there are limits, you need to obey them and most Autobahns are restricted. On the derestricted stretches, 200+ km/h (125-ish mph) is not uncommon but most people are doing 120-150 km/h (75-90+ mph). On these stretchs, you may go as fast as you like as long as you drive responsibly. The levels of traffic are usually too high to keep up very high speeds so you slow and accelerate and slow and accelerate again and just waste fuel and get worn out. Best to pick a speed that suits the speed around you that day. A bit faster than most is effective. Big differences in speed is what makes things hairy.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

5. Likes Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In general driving due to traffic there is little difference between the two. The cost difference between the Na and the R holds up well through the cars life, and for that extra 100BHP why would you not?
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    What about xk 5.0 2010 vs xkr 4.2 2009 -assuming they are the same price for similar mileage and SH ?

Post Thanks / Like
    So i haven't driven an xkr 5.0 but have read reviews which says performance is blistering
    I thought the 5.0 NA wasn't slow by any means and probably about the same as my old xkr x100 4.0 or my Z4MR -which were no slouches TBH
    I suppose i enjoy the feeling of knowing that the performance is there -bit silly i admit -also it makes for unstressed overtaking -and then there is how the XK looks -at least my eye just gorgeous -perhaps not as nice as the X100 if im being honest
    I never really explored the performance of my Z4M or my XKR as i can't afford to lose my license and on coutry B roads where i live all it takes is for an old lady or tractor to pull out and its curtains
    I never did with my XKR as i was scared of it being damaged as insurance doesnt cover track use
    I did track my caterhams which was much fun in days gone by -alas my old mans back wont allow to drive a 7 any more
    Looking at this from the other side... I got my 650 HP CTS-V first. Now I've added the 420 HP 2007 XKR. Do I miss the 230 HP? No. I only notice the difference when I'm on German highways where my CTS-V could outrun anything (so far), the XKR by comparison feels a bit weak at WOT above 100 mph. So how often do you really need e.g. an XKR over an XK? 0.01% of the time, and only to outrun others

That said, I agree the XKR is effortless, so there's no need to not get the XKR if money to buy, maintain and fill up is not an issue. Jag built a fabulous car either way.
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

9. Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My '10 XKR is a little bit faster than your average XKR. It is perfectly docile around town but, apart from the occasional blast off the traffic lights, I leave exploring the limits of the car to the track and the drag strip.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~630bhp - 11.925@120.59, max v=124.63!)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

11. Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the main thing you want is blistering performance - or at least, shattering, near-instantaneous and effortless acceleration - then nowadays, I'm afraid you need electric. Sad and boring but true.

But if you want beauty and a glorious sound track, you need an X150 XK or XKR. Doesn't really matter much which one.
    Jaguar 2007 4.2 litre XK (X150) convertible
    Maxzda 2007 MX-5 2.0 litre (non - 'Sport') roadster-coupe
    Skoda 2007 Octavia 2.0TDI 4WD (not a Scout) estate
    Reliant 1975 Scimitar GTE SE5a (off the road after 243,000 from new)

13. Likes MarkyM, Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair point wrt electric car and acceleration -i watched that drag race on TG with boggo Tesla vs Viper or some other US muscle car IIRC
    Last edited by grumpyoldfart; 28-08-19 at 14:11.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast