Thread: Changing main battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing main battery.

Apologies for jumping into this section from my normal X350 section, but our daughter’s 2016 Evoque (again apologies, but I guess enough similarity) needs to have a new main battery, and I have the correct Varta replacement one on order.
    Questions:-
    Does the new battery have to be coded in, making this change over a non-DIY venture?
    If it can be DIY’d, is it OK to simply disconnect the old one and replace with the new?
    If it’s not on to simply disconnect the old one, I have a ‘radio code retainer’ thing which plugs into the cigar lighter and is fed by a second battery.
    If I need to do this, is it OK to use a non AGM battery for this purpose as long as I don’t attempt to start the car using that battery?
    I think that’s about all the questions I can think of!
    Trusting someone may be able to advise.
    Reason for new battery?
    Stop/start stopped working about 3 months out of warranty. Seems the cold cranking efficiency of the main battery is a bit below par - although it starts enthusiastically - and the stop/start system detects that, and cuts out that facility.
    Many thanks Austin.
    2003 X350 V6 Sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK so no replies.
    Update as follows:-
    A local freelance mechanic took the car and new battery back to the independent who diagnosed low efficiency on cranking, and it was fitted there.
    Now for some contentious comments. We understand the original battery is on a monitoring system, which not only monitors its efficiency, but also its age against a predetermined end-of-life - believed to be c 4 years and some months ( let’s say 50 months to keep it simple). What happens at the end of this period? Do systems such as stop/start automatically shut down irrespective of the battery’s egfficiency?
    It seems that even if it is possible to simply change over to a new battery, and the battery monitoring system will accept the new battery, it will assume it’s already as old as the original - so it has to be coded in so the clock starts ticking again from day one!
    All correct? Well I have no reason to disbelieve it, but.....
    Incidentally, JlR battery price (OE was Varta) was £277. I obtained the correct Varta replacement battery from Tayna Batteries at a discounted price of £136 delivered - no connection with this company.
    Kind regards,
    Austin.
    2003 X350 V6 Sport.