Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning to all Jaguar owners

Post Thanks / Like

Warning to all Jaguar owners

Do not let anyone replace your wheel lug nuts with an air hammer.
    I've just tried to remove my front wheel, on my x-type estate, that was put on with an air hammer. The head of the bolt has snapped off leaving just it's skirt!
    Common with other design faults on this car I discovered that this stupidity extends to the wheel lug nuts. Not only is the shiney bit of the lug nut just trim over a 17mm nut,but the head of said nut is hollow!!! Who in their right mind would design a wheel lug nut,or any nut for that matter like that. I have owned many Jaguars over the years which is why I bought this car,but I can honestly say this is the worst designed car of any make that I have come across. It's an insult to the Jaguar name.

2. Thanks michaelcreweturrell thanked for this post
    Likes Nezzer, michaelcreweturrell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The two part wheel nuts are a known weak point, and always end up shearing off or slipping. once you get the broken one off(!) replace them with the solid 21mm Toyota ones!
    Last edited by Euan Tausney; 02-09-19 at 13:15.
    2009 2.0D Sovereign Estate 70,000 mls, Ionian blue, Charcoal leather with cream piping & cream leaper logo on Headrests, Alpine premium sound,Sat nav, CD changer & ACM.100w/ 55w HID headlights, LED Fogs, LED indicators, EGR blanked. Blue calipers with Jag logo, front/rear Dash cams, Power fold mirrors on lock, Auto DRL/Fog changeover, Projector Puddle lights, Rear ashtray conv to USB/Aux, Andriod computer int to touchscreen c/w reverse/front cameras, Twin S/S back boxes, OAP.

4. Likes XMan2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Euan,

Which nuts should we be looking for exactly?

I have recently bought an XE and would like to replace all of mine, including the locking ones.

Cheers,

Richard.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if the XE still uses the flat washer type, I know the XJ, XK, S & X use them, but here. Is the link to the Toyota ones I bought(2 x 10). https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123451802290
    2009 2.0D Sovereign Estate 70,000 mls, Ionian blue, Charcoal leather with cream piping & cream leaper logo on Headrests, Alpine premium sound,Sat nav, CD changer & ACM.100w/ 55w HID headlights, LED Fogs, LED indicators, EGR blanked. Blue calipers with Jag logo, front/rear Dash cams, Power fold mirrors on lock, Auto DRL/Fog changeover, Projector Puddle lights, Rear ashtray conv to USB/Aux, Andriod computer int to touchscreen c/w reverse/front cameras, Twin S/S back boxes, OAP.

7. Likes RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's great Euan, thanks.

Just spotted you're a Bankie! I went to Clydebank High School for a couple of years in the mid 70's after getting hoiked out of the East End of London as a kid. Hard work!

Have a great day!
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    That's great Euan, thanks.

Just spotted you're a Bankie! I went to Clydebank High School for a couple of years in the mid 70's after getting hoiked out of the East End of London as a kid. Hard work!

Have a great day!
    Not actually a “Bankie” but lived here for 40 years & my kids & Grandkids went to Clydebank High, I’m a “Weegie” By birth! (Glaswegian)

10. Likes RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced my lug nuts back in December 2012 when I purchased my 17x8 Sport Edition F10 aftermarket Wheel/Tire Package. I got Nickle-Plated ones along with Wheel Locks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire Rack Nickle Plated Lugnuts.jpg   Tire Rack McGard Wheel Locks 24137.jpg  
    2002 X-Type 2.5 V6
    Mina Inserts HID+LED+DRL Chrome Mirror Caps/Petrol Flap/Sleeves Clear Markers/Repeaters REMIN/RVINYL Carbon-Fiber Trim Facelift Plinth NGK Red Tail Tips H&R SS Sport Edition F10 17x8 Hankook 225x45ZR17 Ventus V12 Silver Calipers w/Decal Drilled/Slotted Rotors EBC/Red Stuff K&N 2-Tone GL Steering Wheel Cover Sheepskin Inserts Alum Pedals/Dead HR Leaper SP Lights Infotainment: iSimple TranzIt BLU HF Sony XDP-MU110 DSP 8-Speaker+JBL BassPro SL WiFi Dash-Cam Laser Radar Detector

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Tausney View Post
    Not actually a “Bankie” but lived here for 40 years & my kids & Grandkids went to Clydebank High, I’m a “Weegie” By birth! (Glaswegian)
    Whereabouts are you? I lived in Faifley in fact my mum still does, in the winter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JESS Gibson View Post
    Do not let anyone replace your wheel lug nuts with an air hammer.
    I've just tried to remove my front wheel, on my x-type estate, that was put on with an air hammer. The head of the bolt has snapped off leaving just it's skirt!
    Common with other design faults on this car I discovered that this stupidity extends to the wheel lug nuts. Not only is the shiney bit of the lug nut just trim over a 17mm nut,but the head of said nut is hollow!!! Who in their right mind would design a wheel lug nut,or any nut for that matter like that. I have owned many Jaguars over the years which is why I bought this car,but I can honestly say this is the worst designed car of any make that I have come across. It's an insult to the Jaguar name.
    Welcome to the forum.

It's an insult to the Jaguar name.
    I feel there will be many more that will disagree, but each to his/her/their own. Have fun.
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto MY2002 80K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk - For Everything X-Type

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, JagDroid, front/reverse cameras, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XMan2002 View Post
    I replaced my lug nuts back in December 2012 when I purchased my 17x8 Sport Edition F10 aftermarket Wheel/Tire Package. I got Nickle-Plated ones along with Wheel Locks.

Errrmm... Have you got genuine Jaguar X-Type rims fitted? If so, they are not the correct lug nuts. You should be using the 'flat seat with captive washer type' not the tapered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-ALLOY...L/322551270259
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto MY2002 80K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk - For Everything X-Type

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, JagDroid, front/reverse cameras, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast