Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strombergs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Piman,
    Some good points to think about there.I need to do a bit of research on the Zenith Stromberg 175 CD-2 carbs as fitted to the car.Reading through a book of old road tests , they quote a power output of 165 bhp for the 4.2 with Strombergs , so a bit down on the c.185 for the triple SU set-up.

I assume they were fitted to US bound cars for emission control reasons .

I`m a bit reluctant to start taking them apart yet , as the car at least starts and runs at the moment.As its getting towards the end of the season now , I`ll probably wait until Spring of next year when I take the car in for its LHD - RHD conversion and diff. ratio change.
    First Jag -- 1975 Daimler Sovereign * wonderfull comfy seats and nice veneer dash * --next-- ,a couple of XJ-S s one a convertible.-- Lastly-- 1964 E-Type FHC * wonderfull engine,terrible gearbox.* Presently Merc. SLK 250 ,sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Max,

thos figures look low, are they H.P. or Kilowatts? A similar comparison was the 3.8 MK2 with 2 x 1.75" S.U.s agains the E.Type (3. with 3 x 2" S.U.s something like 220 hp against 250 for the E Type. (I know those figures are higher than din figures these days. The E. TYpe also had a straight port head over the MK 2 saloon.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Piman,

when the E-type first came out , Jag quoted a figure of 265 hp for the triple carb 3.8.These days , they use a different way of measuring and I think that figure would be around 190.The Daimler Sovereign I used to own ( going back a long time now ) had a quoted output of 173 , that was a 4.2 with twin SUs.The series 3 XJ6 with FI gave 205 bhp and had bigger inlet valves.

Just been reading up about the vacuum advance ( that my distrib. doesn`t have ) - the opinion seems to be that it improves fuel economy and smoother running at low engine loads.This might be one explanation for the poor fuel economy I`m getting ( 18 at best ).
    I wonder why Jag chose not to fit these for the US cars ?
    First Jag -- 1975 Daimler Sovereign * wonderfull comfy seats and nice veneer dash * --next-- ,a couple of XJ-S s one a convertible.-- Lastly-- 1964 E-Type FHC * wonderfull engine,terrible gearbox.* Presently Merc. SLK 250 ,sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Max,

yes, that is the reason for it and presumably it affected the emissions in some way as U.K. specification cars use it. How it works is that the carburation is weakened at cruise and lower speed, small throttle openeings and high vacuum. Using this high vacuum by fitting a diaphragm unit to advance the ignition necessary for the weaker mixture. Simply adding a vacuum unit in itself will make the performance worse.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12