Thread: The Duckbill, solved, the third way of doing it...

Post Thanks / Like

The Duckbill, solved, the third way of doing it...

Hey, Iíve solved my duckbill issue. And without lowering the transmission or taking the dash apart! I found a third way.

I started the day by climbing under, to find out what it would take to lower the transmission or if I could get to the duckbill without lowering the trans. So removed a shield and 2 wires and had a look with a camera, and later tried to get up there with a bent coat hanger. I soon found this was not an easy way to go, I would have to lower the trans and since most of the space constraints were on the side of the trans, not the top, it would have to go down a lot. And looking at exhaust, brackets, wires etc, phew, not something I had the energy to start on.

But I had noticed one good thing with the camera, namely that the hole in the chassis where the duckbill is placed up into, it was quite near the engine compartment, I had thought it was a lot further back. So I got the idea, I must be able to reach that hole from the engine room. I wish I had got this idea in December when I replaced the valley pipes because then I had all the TBI stuff at the rear of the engine out, so I had space. I did look for it then, but back then I thought the duckbill would be sticking down, I didnít know it was up in hole in the chassis, so I couldnít find it.

I removed the 3 parts you see in the picture, and even on a SC model, thatís enough! Standing on a 4Ē wood block and with a pillow on the windshield not to break it, I can gently get my hand and arm down so far I can reach the hole. And with the middle finger I optimistically stretched all I could, and I could touch the duckbill! I could feel it. If my finger had been 2 mm shorter or my arms a bit more buff, I might not have been able to, but I could. And my fingertip could feel the end of the duckbill and yes the lips were together and didnít open by my touch.

Then I tried to construct some knives and sharp points to open/cut the duckbill, donít laugh at my attemptsÖ . After about 5 attempts, I stuck my finger back down and I felt water and lips open! Problem solved! Man, I spent hours worrying about this, didnít really want to lower a trans or take dash apart.

I realize that the lips may close again, and I will be looking for a better knife/blade than I had. If I could get a blade thatís both pointy and sharp (really sharp) on both sides, Iím sure I can do so much damage to the duckbill that it wonít close again. For now, Iím waiting for a warm day to test what Iíve done. This procedure can be done in one hourÖ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190908_0916412.jpg   IMG_20190908_0905332.jpg   IMG_20190908_0905396.jpg   IMG_20190908_0912464.jpg   IMG_20190908_0857024.jpg  

2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

2. Thanks MarkyM, P700DEE thanked for this post
    Likes JackJohn, MarkyM, 8bit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one! Should we now call you Edward Scissorhands?
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

4. Likes simpo3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodel View Post
    Nice one! Should we now call you Edward Scissorhands?
    Would you dare?!
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was on the Ameican biased web site someone constructed a tool to do the job and used an endoscope to guide it .
    Jaguar XKR x150 Cabriolet 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my knife blades and took it apart again, and cut and molested all I could with the blade taped to my finger. Feeling the duckbill afterwards, no way that is going to hold water!

No lowering of trans, no taking IP apart. Spread the word
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp

Post Thanks / Like
    a/c has been around in cars since at least the 1950s and working fine without 'duckbills' You wonder why Jaguar felt the need to add one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    a/c has been around in cars since at least the 1950s and working fine without 'duckbills' You wonder why Jaguar felt the need to add one...
    Me too. My Jeeps had one, but they often wade in feet deep water, so that made sense. On the Jag, it's a waste of resources
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to confirm, long trip in A/C weather, drips on the ground, carpet bone dry
    1985 Jaguar XJ6
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp

11. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes Z28DUNC liked this post