Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wheel size vs comfort, durability and cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Then that makes me a nutter too for fitting XF rims on mine.

2. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    Then that makes me a nutter too for fitting XF rims on mine.
    Well you do have "nut job" in your name lol.
    2010 Jaguar XJ V8 Portfolio.

4. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post

Great photo.

I particularly like how you managed to park in front of a wire fence that matches the radiator grille!

6. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My jag has always run on 20" rims. The comfort has been fine but I have purposley been driving on slightly lower tyre pressures to provide extra cushioning on Surreys potholed roads and reduce strain on wishbone bushes, even premium tyres cost less than new jag wishbones, so far this approach seems to be working. On long motor way runs I pump the pressure back up to recommened values.

Some time ago I borrowed a set of 18" alloys in a bid to track the source of vibration. I had these on for two weeks. A bit more comfort and a little quieter at speed. I was glad to get the 20" back on, they suit the car much better.

The 20" alloys on my car are made by DSR and come from an XK apparently, I bought another set and all new tyres to fit in my car as part of my on going bid to rid my car of vibration assuming it was tyre/wheel related. Cutting a long story short, the wheels had nothing to do with vibration and I have a spare set of 20" alloys in my garage taking up valuable space, I'm open to offers to sell them. They will need refurbishing though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jag.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	31670
    2006 XJ Super V8 LWB with all the optional extras apart from TV tuner and sunroof - TL Jaguar Hi Flow Cats, Stage 1 air intake tube, K+N, WOT Flap mod, DSR 20" alloy wheels (Staggered).

8. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking motor, I bet those wheels are a pig to keep clean.
    2010 Jaguar XJ V8 Portfolio.

10. Likes wackymatt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    Nice looking motor, I bet those wheels are a pig to keep clean.
    Thanks.

The wheel cleaning takes almost as long as the bodywork.
    2006 XJ Super V8 LWB with all the optional extras apart from TV tuner and sunroof - TL Jaguar Hi Flow Cats, Stage 1 air intake tube, K+N, WOT Flap mod, DSR 20" alloy wheels (Staggered).

12. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wackymatt View Post
    Thanks.

The wheel cleaning takes almost as long as the bodywork.
    Same as my Sepangs then !
    What was the eventual source of your vibrational as I’m also on a constant quest for ride quality.
    Noble M400, LR Disco 3, Rover 75 V6,Jaguar X350/358 coming... edit.. got one,2007 4.2 LWB with big restoration.

Post Thanks / Like
    The general principle is that you should have big wheels only if needed to clear the brake pack.

On an engineering front, bigger wheels are almost completely bad - they weigh considerably more and hence give the suspension more to cope with in terms of unsprung weight, which affects the ride and handling. Bigger wheels also mean less height in the tyre sidewall, which is also bad for handling. Handling is the ability of the car to follow your defined road position, whilst giving decent and reliable feedback - in practice, it relies mostly on the tyre deflection. More deflection through a deeper sidewall = more and better quality feedback to the driver = better handling. Grip really isn't an issue here, as all X350s of whatever spec carry tyres way too wide for the required grip level. Ride comfort also deteriorates with a narrower strip of rubber in play. And then there's reliability - it is much easier to bend a wheel if the tyre profile is low.

On the flip side, people like the aesthetics of larger wheels (apparently). And this is a marketing thing, usually

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree. 19" customs look great though. If it wasn't about looks then I would have bought a big Volvo or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc1 View Post
    Same as my Sepangs then !
    What was the eventual source of your vibrational as I’m also on a constant quest for ride quality.
    I replaced my whining diff last year with a 2nd hand unit, had a load of other work done at the same time including new tyres. To cut along story short, after checking/replacing most of the drivetrain & wheels&tyres the source of the body vibration was from the second hand diff. It turns out the diff must have come from a steel bodied car where the tolerances for vibration are larger.

When the vibration diagnosis was being performed (car on a ramp with back wheels driven at speed by engine) you could clearly see the diff shaking about a bit. The frequency of the vibration narrowed it down to the pinion gear, the vibration was cured by placing counter weights on the prop shaft.

I had a small vibration through steering that standard wheel balancing alone could not fix. The cause was the brake rotor balance being out. Balancing the wheels on the car fixed this by putting extra compensation weights on the rim.

During this rather expensive journey I replaced the front wheel bearings, the existing had a high mileage but no usual symptoms that would indicate a problem. After replacement the small bump handling of the car dramatically improved, before there was a sensation very similar to worn dampers where it felt the front wheels would shake after hitting a small bump at speed. This has been completely eliminated with new wheel bearings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast