Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Lost my VACM and SDD questions about modules

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lost my VACM and SDD questions about modules

    I was playing with SDD version 130.03 v.116 and I have these question marks on several modules. Some of the modules dont appear to be in my 2006 STR like the Intrusion Sensors (ISM on the ISO bus) and the Steering Column Locking Module (SCLM on the SCP bus) and the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC on the CAN_HS_NVJC bus), but I KNOW I have a Voice Activation Control Module (VACM) as I was using it prior to it disappearing. Not sure if I have the Tire Pressure Module (TPM).

    I did have a low battery at some point using SDD and the battery actually died at one point after I finished working on it one night (but SDD wasnt running then).

    Trying to load or reset the module doesnt work and I get an error. Maybe I dont have the right order or processes to liad it correctly, I dont know because I havent found any sort of tutorial that talks about this. If there is one point me in the right direction please.

    So do I go into the options menu and add the module first? That didnt work. Do I choose the total car scan first? How can I get the the system to delete the modules I know I dont have and see the VACM that I do?

    Also I cant find a Bluetooth module listed but I had bluetooth before. Is that in the Udio Module on a 2006 STR? And it shows I have a Cell Phone Module (CPM on D2B bus) but theres only one module attached to the mounting plate in the trunk (just felt behind the plate- I did not unbolt it to see because of the other crap in the way. But the stuff I saw shows the VACM and the CPM both mounted side by side on the mounting plate behind the amp/nav/module/cd changer in the trunk. My str seems to have only one module on the backside of that plate.

    Please educate me!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Marcuspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    UK/ Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does that version of SDD support 2006 modules? I thought 130, which I've got, was for the older X200's?
    Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport 2001.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the battery voltage drops while using the SDD software this can cause the software to stop comunication mid way through an update or other programming. This will cause all sorts of issues with the modules it was comunicating with at the time.
    It has been known to destroy the modules! I do hope this is not what has happened to your car.
    This is why it is essensial to use a power supply connected to the battery all the time the SDD software is in use that is powerfull enough to run all the electrical systems on the car.
    I use a 30amp stabilsed power supply that has a variable voltage control set to 13.8 volts. The main dealers use something simalar, but with a fixed voltage.

    As far as I know SDD v130 should work with all S-type cars and all the modules fitted to them. I think dates to 2012.

    But please if anyone knows more about this or has any corrections to my text above please do let us all know.

    Mellow
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w View Post
    If the battery voltage drops while using the SDD software this can cause the software to stop comunication mid way through an update or other programming. This will cause all sorts of issues with the modules it was comunicating with at the time.
    It has been known to destroy the modules! I do hope this is not what has happened to your car.
    This is why it is essensial to use a power supply connected to the battery all the time the SDD software is in use that is powerfull enough to run all the electrical systems on the car.
    I use a 30amp stabilsed power supply that has a variable voltage control set to 13.8 volts. The main dealers use something simalar, but with a fixed voltage.

    As far as I know SDD v130 should work with all S-type cars and all the modules fitted to them. I think dates to 2012.

    But please if anyone knows more about this or has any corrections to my text above please do let us all know.

    Mellow
    Yes I fear that may have happened. Still trying to work out what modules are actually in my US car. I think i will be pulling that nav/cd/amp stack out and looking behind that kaiser panel to see what modules are actually back there. hopefull its just a bad connections. i was fumbling around the left rear tail light recently due to a bad bulb

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I found out I still have the Bluetooth phone ability. I drove it today and successfully paired my phone and could make calls and hear folks on the line. But they cant hear me. So I have to figure out if I killed the module or just messed up a connection somewhere. Nav works. Cd changer works, bt phone works, just no voice

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    The microphone for the Bluetooth phone is connected through the voice control module.
    So my guess would be you have an issue with the voice control unit or its connector.

    On cars with bluetooth but no voice unit fitted a special jumper connector is required where the voice unit should be plugged in.

    Both the voice and the factory fitted Bluetooth units are indeed behind the panel in the boot.

    I do not know if the microphone will still work if the voice unit is connected but faulty, but it probably will not.

    Best case here is that you find the connector for the voice unit is not fully plugged in. But you may need a new voice unit.
    These voice units are factory set to only have the commands for the units that were fitted to the car from new. IE CD changer, bluetooth, NAV etc. If they were not fitted from new then the commands will not work without using SDD to make the voice unit re-learn what is on the network.
    You could try to do this with the voice unit you have, it may sort it out, but obvioulsy if you use the SDD software again make sure you have a power supply connected to the battery this time!

    Mellow
    Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 12-09-19 at 08:42.
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

  7. Likes aarcuda liked this post
  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w View Post
    The microphone for the Bluetooth phone is connected through the voice control module.
    So my guess would be you have an issue with the voice control unit or its connector.

    On cars with bluetooth but no voice unit fitted a special jumper connector is required where the voice unit should be plugged in.

    Both the voice and the factory fitted Bluetooth units are indeed behind the panel in the boot.

    I do not know if the microphone will still work if the voice unit is connected but faulty, but it probably will not.

    Best case here is that you find the connector for the voice unit is not fully plugged in. But you may need a new voice unit.
    These voice units are factory set to only have the commands for the units that were fitted to the car from new. IE CD changer, bluetooth, NAV etc. If they were not fitted from new then the commands will not work without using SDD to make the voice unit re-learn what is on the network.
    You could try to do this with the voice unit you have, it may sort it out, but obvioulsy if you use the SDD software again make sure you have a power supply connected to the battery this time!

    Mellow
    so my STR is a 2006. I have the electrical schematics for it and there is no mention of a separate bluetooth module. I got this info from a document I found on the web called 688-JAG_10-08-2.pdf. If you search for that, the entire 2006 network is shown on page 377. For some reason, I cant upload that file but if you search it you can find it.

    But for the D2B networks, theres only an Audio module (that connects to the SCP network), audio amp, nav module, Voice activation module, cell phone module and cd autochanger. No bluetooth.
    On the SCP network theres a nav module, front electronics module, adaptive damping module, drivers door module, drivers seat modulke and a rear electronics module.
    The CAN bus shows a speed control module, AC control module, Parking brake module, J-gate module, Headlight leveling module, dynamic stability control module (which i believe is in the antilock bake controller in the front right side of the engine compartment), transmission control module and engine control module.
    The only other stuff lies on the Serial data link and those modules are the Parking aid module, headlight leveling module and the restraints control module which has a local CAN bus with the occupancy sensing module and passenger seat weight sensing module.

    BUT NO BLUETOOTH! Is the bluetooth in the audio module?

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the jaguar s-type 2006 wiring diagrams below the Bluetooth module is still listed as 'Cellular Phone Control Module'. The BTUM is listed as 'Handset Receiver'.
    This is because the wiring is exactly the same as with the original module and the fixed wire handset.
    The Bluetooth module as fitted to the s-type is basically a modified version of the previous fixed wire handset module with the BTUM in place of the handset in the glove box. But the wires and the connector plugs are the same as with the fixed wire handset so there was no need to change the drawings.

    The diagram you need is on page 149:

    http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2006on.pdf

    Part of the bluetooth fitting instructions when no voice unit is fitted include: 'Fit shorting loop to voice electrical connector.'

    I am sure from the diagrams you can work it out for yourself, but it looks like the ‘shorting loop’ that goes into the voice module electrical connector needs to connect pin 1 with pin 3 (both white wires) and pin 12 with pin 13 (both black wires) But only if there is no voice unit fitted.


    Mellow

    Please also note that the later X and XJ’s from 2008 were fitted with a Bluetooth module that did away with the need for the BTUM in the glove box. This later module that will work in the s-type is a modified Ford Bluetooth unit fitted with a d2b network front end. In ‘MOST’ network form it is used in all later jaguar cars including the XF’s, etc. and is a far better unit with better phone compatibility than the old unit fitted the S-type cars, it can also store more than one paired phone at a time and gives you a signal meter reading on the touch screen. But as it was never fitted to the s-type from new it is not shown on any Jaguar S-type wireing diagrams or s-type parts lists.
    Last edited by M-e-l-l-o-w; 12-09-19 at 15:18.
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w View Post
    In the jaguar s-type 2006 wiring diagrams below the Bluetooth module is still listed as 'Cellular Phone Control Module'. The BTUM is listed as 'Handset Receiver'.
    This is because the wiring is exactly the same as with the original module and the fixed wire handset.
    The Bluetooth module as fitted to the s-type is basically a modified version of the previous fixed wire handset with the BTUM in place of the handset. But the wires and the connector plugs are the same as with the fixed wire handset so there was no need to change the drawings.

    The diagram you need is on page 149:

    http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...cal-2006on.pdf

    Part of the bluetooth fitting instructions when no voice unit is fitted include: 'Fit shorting loop to voice electrical connector.'

    Mellow
    Ahhhhhh Perfect! thats the kind of information i need!!! Thank you! So second to last question, is this "handset Receiver" (aka bluetooth module) under the center console or where would it be? and last question: where is the cell phone module located as there only appears to be one module on the kaiser panel behind thje amp stack in the trunk (left hand side)?

    I am on a mission to understand this cars electronics from top to bottom. There's nothing I cant fix if I understand the system!

    Thank you for your help and knowledge!

  11. #10
    Senior Member Jim_S-V6_2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the car starting, and is it useable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •