Thread: XE Battery

Post Thanks / Like

XE Battery

Hi All, great to find this website. I have had my petrol XE Portfolio for 16 months now and have to say it is my first Jaguar and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have one question please concerning the batteries. There are two batteries, one under the bonnet and one in the boot. Due to my lack of miles the auto stop/start has stopped working. I have used successfully a Victron Energy Blue Smart charger on the front battery which shows fully charged, stop/start still doesn't work though. Does this also charge the boot battery or do I need to charge that one as well to get the stop start back working? What does the boot battery work on my car please?
    Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello & welcome. If it's similar to the XF stop/start then it needs lots of factors to be right before it will kick in, so if you are only doing short journeys, low on fuel, lots of electrics drawing power then it may not work.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idrobbo View Post
    Hello & welcome. If it's similar to the XF stop/start then it needs lots of factors to be right before it will kick in, so if you are only doing short journeys, low on fuel, lots of electrics drawing power then it may not work.
    Thanks for that, my mileage is low. Do you know if the battery in the boot can be charged the same as the battery under the bonnet can be charged? Also if the front battery is fully charged does the boot battery gain power from this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, don't know the answer to that, mine doesn't have S/S. Hopefully someone else will come along with a better answer. May be worth also posting in the XE section.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverboy View Post
    Thanks for that, my mileage is low. Do you know if the battery in the boot can be charged the same as the battery under the bonnet can be charged? Also if the front battery is fully charged does the boot battery gain power from this one?
    Thread moved to XE section.

The XE only has one battery, which is located in the boot. The only thing under the bonnet is the main fusebox for the engine and a rear fusebox under a cover by the windscreen. The fusebox with a red cover on the right hand side is the main positive lead to the battery in the boot. There are many conditions that are required for stop/start to work, which are all described in the owners manual. The stop/start may have had too many failed operations which throws up codes that aren’t visible to the owner and can be read by a dealer or anyone with the correct JLR diagnostic equipment.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide