Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XF,XE Emissions Related Recall. Engine System Upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

XF,XE Emissions Related Recall. Engine System Upgrade.

XF,XE Emissions Related Recall. Engine System Upgrade.

Had a letter this morning from Jag UK. Seems my engine needs an upgrade due to CO2 emission performance variations. The recall number is H149.

Just rang my local dealer to get it booked in;...they need the car for a full day evidently.

Anyone had this upgrade carried out recently?...no horror stories are there?

Bit of a pain tbh, but I needed to book it in anyway because the drivers-side front window doesn’t close properly and has started to leak slightly. Had the same problem last year with the rear passenger-side window.

P.S. car is 2017 XF Portfolio, Auto.
    Last edited by Max Tout; 11-09-19 at 16:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Max

I had mine done when I bought the car from the main dealer, however I did have to ask if the upgrade had been done and was surprised to find out they hadn't done it, even though I had to wait over 3 weeks to get the car.

I have not had any issues so all good.
    XF 2.0 R Sport 68 plate, white and lots of toys

XF 2.2D R Sport 65 plate and black (of course) and loving the ride

3. Thanks Max Tout thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://europe.autonews.com/automake...issions-recall
    I think the upgrades are good news.
    I do not mind filling the DEF more frequently...

5. Thanks Max Tout thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palstanturhin View Post
    https://europe.autonews.com/automake...issions-recall
    I think the upgrades are good news.
    I do not mind filling the DEF more frequently...
    Very interesting article that;...a bit disconcerting though!

Lowering CO2 emissions is a good thing but (if that article is to be believed) it comes at a price. i.e. slightly increased fuel usage and (for diesel cars) an increased level of nitrous oxide (NOx) production.

The additional NOx will be taken care of by the increased use of Adblue and the increased fuel consumption will be mitigated by lowering the idling speed !?!

Just how effective is Adblue at removing NOx?. Perhaps (like CO2) laboratory emission figures for NOx are far removed from ‘real-world’ emissions;...and as we all know nitrous oxide has become demonized in recent times.

Lowering the idling speed brings its own set problems apparently;...a noisy engine being one of them. My car isn’t what you’d call quick off the mark and (for safety reasons) I'd hate it to be any slower.

Increased fuel usage, increased NOx production and increased Adblue consumption equates to lower CO2 production.

Is it a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul?;... I’m certainly having second thoughts re this upgrade.

At least Jaguar have come clean (no pun intended) re their ‘dodgy’ emissions figures,...I wonder when the likes of BMW, Mercedes et al will reveal their truths!

7. Thanks Acederby thanked for this post
    Likes Acederby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me Too

Got my recall letter this morning. Booked in for October 10. Hope that the car is not too affected by the upgrade. Have read many horror stories' of other manufacturers in the past. Time will tell. Will update when work is done.
    First Jaguar (XF Portfolio 2.0d) and loving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    “The engine management system ensures that all of the required anti-stall devices are employed to mitigate any drive take-up engine rev deficiency.”
    This system works very well, at least in my car. And if they reprogram this even better. I think no problem.

"Archer said the rise in AdBlue consumption is likely to be related to the fact that JLR will reduce the amount of exhaust returning into the cylinder via the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, which helps limit NOx but also increases fuel consumption."
    I.e. fuel consumption increases because of the EGR.
    They now intend to use less EGR. Less EGR means more power, which means less fuel consumption, which means less CO2.
    However, less EGR also mean more NOx, which must be then compensated by spraying more DEF to the scrubber...

10. Thanks Max Tout, rtcosic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palstanturhin View Post
    “The engine management system ensures that all of the required anti-stall devices are employed to mitigate any drive take-up engine rev deficiency.”
    This system works very well, at least in my car. And if they reprogram this even better. I think no problem.

"Archer said the rise in AdBlue consumption is likely to be related to the fact that JLR will reduce the amount of exhaust returning into the cylinder via the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, which helps limit NOx but also increases fuel consumption."
    I.e. fuel consumption increases because of the EGR.
    They now intend to use less EGR. Less EGR means more power, which means less fuel consumption, which means less CO2.
    However, less EGR also mean more NOx, which must be then compensated by spraying more DEF to the scrubber...
    I've just received the recall notice as well. Trying to find out exactly what it does. Not just letting them loose without knowing exactly what it involves.
    Fantastic explanation if this is correct. I can live with this.
    More investigation now to make sure.

12. Likes palstanturhin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems JLR don't want to admit much. They won't admit why extra adblue will be needed. What's the secret? Well my car stays as is until they admit what goes on.

14. Likes ramandchips liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have H 149 done unless your car has failed the MOT on emissions. This so called upgrade affects performance and economy and who knows what else. I have to admit I am a bit like Geoff Boycott and don’t care a stuff about emissions until far greater polluters are reigned in!
    There is another thread at the moment from a very unhappy owner who had this upgrade done.
    2 rejected F Paces for a 2018 XF 2.0D AWD Sportbrake. caesium blue with goodies. 2006 4.2 XK Convertible Frost Blue & Ivory for wonderful summer use.

16. Likes Eyeballroy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    But, the fact nitrous oxides are increased suggests they are playing with the EGR. If so, it's highly unlikely to reduce performance. The opposite if anything. Reducing reliance on the EGR aids the burning of the fuel.

If all they were doing was reducing power, then you wouldn't need extra adblue usage.

So something doesn't make sense. Definitely need to hear from Jaguar exactly what this entails.
    Thankfully my car passed last year's MOT, so highly unlikely that I need to worry.

Where is this thread from the unhappy party?

18. Thanks Max Tout thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast