Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XE recall H149 information and warning

Post Thanks / Like

XE recall H149 information and warning

Had a call from dealer to take car in for recall H149 CO2 emissions. I took the car in first thing in morning to be done. I received call it would not be ready till next day. They said Jaguar say it should take about 4 hours but it takes much longer. Car was returned yesterday with recall done. The recall changes make the car far less responsive to acceleration also driving on motorway I now find I am now doing 73mph where the same throttle setting before the recall I was doing 85mph (I know the speed limit is 70 but that is not the issue here). Although I have only driven about 80 miles my fuel consumption is now 52mpg where before it was 55mpg. It feels as though the recall has done something to the turbo boost. Last MOT it passed the emissions test with no problems so the recall appears to have ruined the performance for no reason. I would suggest you wait until your next MOT before having this recall fitted and then only have it fitted if you have emission problems.

2. Thanks PJFS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that the rpm is the same but the car speed is slower.
    If that's the case then the car must be in a lower gear.
    If so then try manually changing up to see if the car moves into 8th gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything could make the difference between 52 and 55mpg.
    As for your motorway test. Assuming you are testing on the flat, and you really are clever enough to know the accelerator is pressed down the same amount, then that sounds like less fuel than before is being injected into the engine for a given throttle demand. Which would possibly go along with the reduced responsivness.

Question, do you have a petrol or diesel?
    I believe the fix affects the cars in different ways depending on the engine.
    I have a diesel XF which is part of the recall. Not letting Jaguar loose on the car though until I know exactly what it entails.

In which case, I also need to check on my rights in case they decide to carry out the recall without my say so if I use a dealer for my next service (me, cynical?!!!!!)

5. Thanks Max Tout thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In theory, the whole purpose of this ECU software upgrade is to reduce CO2.
    The only way to do this, is to spray less fuel to the cylinders.

EGR consumes fuel, because it lowers the engine efficiency. That is understandable. Why would anyone want to recirculate the exhaust fumes back to the engine? Stupidiest invention ever!
    If this system was removed, the result is better engine efficiency and higher power output. (And increased NOx!)
    Higher power output is also a no-no, so they probably have to limit the maximum ammount fuel sprayable to the cylinder during full throttle. Or limit the engine max RPM. So that you now dont have a 240hp engine instead of the previous 180hp (or what ever)...

This will probably also have an effect to the engine torque figures, so they most likely must reprogram the gearbox software also...???

My guess is, there will be a second software upgrade pretty soon after this one, where they fix all these side effects experienced by car drivers.

Sorry my bad english, I live here almost at the northpole...

Edit:
    Oh, and do not believe the cars fuel computer!
    Calculate the consumption your self, before and after.
    Last edited by palstanturhin; 16-09-19 at 08:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies.
    To simplify I have been driving the car which is a manual diesel for 3 years so know the car well. The work done on the recall has made a massive degrade in the performance of the car. I would not have purchased the car if it had performed like it does now (since the recall work has been done)
    . I suggest only having the work done if you have emissions problems on your MOT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davehaughton View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    To simplify I have been driving the car which is a manual diesel for 3 years so know the car well. The work done on the recall has made a massive degrade in the performance of the car. I would not have purchased the car if it had performed like it does now (since the recall work has been done)
    . I suggest only having the work done if you have emissions problems on your MOT.
    Interesting, and thanks.
    Looks like after reducing the effectiveness of the EGR, they have then gone one step too far in reducing the extra oomph the car should in theory have.
    Think Jaguar have well and truly mucked up on this one.
    Well that's made my decision easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Edinburgh East Jaguar Dealer's today and enquired about the H149 Recall, and was told that it is only an engine oil change that is required and are having difficulty purchasing the Oil and are hoping that Castrol can supply the oil. They have 4 cars waiting to have the H149 Recall done.

But the member's who have had a Letter will have more details about the Recall than what i was told at the Dealer's, but I certainly wouldn't have it done if it was going to affect the performance of the engine, but if the Recall wasn't done would that affect any warranty that was still on the car.
    Regards Tom.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Ivory leather and Mocha/Oyster carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will find the dealer does not require your permission because a recall is a legal requirement, if it was a service action then that may be a different matter.
    X150 XKR 5.0 Convertible 2011.
    Previous all gone now
    Sovereign LWB 2.7tdi 2008 black, 308 sport 3.2,2000 X, 308 1998 3.2, 420g 1967.

11. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I meant to say that i got a Topix vehicle summary list of the XF i'll be test driving on Monday , and i've just been looking at it and it says there is an Outstanding Campaign H149 and it is for a Engine System Upgrade.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Ivory leather and Mocha/Oyster carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

13. Likes telferstr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,
    Hope you find the test drive okay and you get back into a Jaguar once more.
    Regards
    Telfer. Ex Jaguar S-Type.
    Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross part/ex ASX.14/5/2019. Owned 2005 S-Type Jaguar 2.5 V6 - 5speed Manual for 10 years, replaced with Volvo V40 25/6/2016, did not like & Part/ex with ASX 29/12/2016.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast