Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap battery hypothesis

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap battery hypothesis

In the 15 months Iíve had my S-Type, it has given me more trouble than all the other cars Iíve ever owned combined - and Iíve run some sheds.
    Currently deliberating whether my parking brake and dashboard issues are caused by the car having a cheap Eurocarparts Lion battery.
    Parking brake does one of two things - either locks on and requires a battery disconnect to release it (8mm spanner permanently in the door pocket for just an eventuality), or if I leave it parked without applying it I get a beep on starting the car, a park brake fault message on the dashboard, two warning lights and no park brake.
    This is always assuming, obviously, that the LCD display is functioning. It does spend periods of time blank, leaving me to wonder what todayís warning light is all about. What makes me curious about the battery (and maybe alternator) is that if the car used on a run, the display works and tends not to when Iím around town.
    2007 S-Type 2.7D in Liquid Silver.
    VIN 87N805**

Post Thanks / Like
    Further: Iíve just put my (non calibrated) meter across the battery and got 12.4V, and 14.7V with the engine running and at tickover. When I do get the park brake failure at start up, itís always accompanied by a very noticeable, and brief, slow down in cranking speed, like from a poor battery. What I donít know is whether the loss in voltage is causing the park brake to drop out, or the park brake error is causing a slow starter. Anyone any thoughts?
    VIN 87N805**

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the parking brake fault have a look at the control unit and look for any signs of water damage.

Mellow
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

4. Thanks Roytonian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve not jacked it up while it has been jammed on, but from the car’s total resistance to going anywhere I’d say it’s both sides.
    VIN 87N805**

Post Thanks / Like
    The two faults may not be related. But yes a heavy drain on the battery, if it is poor battery or if there is a starter motor fault or a poor connection can all cause the handbrake system to think there is a fault.

However you should be able to pinpoint the parking brake fault from the fault codes.

Once you have the fault code (or codes) you can then follow the pinpoint tests in the workshop manual. (Link below.)

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/CarPDFFiles/SType/S-Type%202002.5-2008-FSM-Workshop.pdf

However I would tend to go for a battery first as these cars can be very fussy about battery voltage.

Mellow
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Roy these cars are getting old, yours is 12 years old, and they are getting intermittent contact problems, verdigris in electrical connectors, chaffed wires, dried up locks, latches, callipers... You know what I mean.

I think your park brake motor and cables need a good clean and re-lubrication. A grease up.

If it was your battery voltage low you should get ABS and DSC errors mostly, and Park Brake faults last. But your Park Brake should not bind.

As for batteries, many people will start to have problems but will deny it's the battery, as usual.

Invest in one of those car battery inductance testers we talked about, they confirm the condition by its resistance and remaining CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) capacity of any battery in seconds.

They are a good investment, around £35-£40, and whatever car you buy next, the battery will be even more critical.

As for battery brand, just look at the warranty. The manufacturers won't give longer than the battery will last.

So if it's 4 to 5 years then that's your guide line for its expected life.

But if you let it go flat, i.e. below 12.0 volts, for more than a few hours, these modern calcium alloy batteries may never recover full charge again.

Look up "battery technology" on the internet for confirmation.

We've also got a shipload of good info in the "Batteries" and in "Battery Chargers and Battery Charging" threads in our S Type Stickies subforum: https://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Bookmark the Stickies in your browser so you can look there for other stuff easily.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 18-09-19 at 12:42.

8. Thanks Roytonian thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w View Post
    The two faults may not be related. But yes a heavy drain on the battery, if it is poor battery or if there is a starter motor fault or a poor connection can all cause the handbrake system to think there is a fault.

However you should be able to pinpoint the parking brake fault from the fault codes.

Once you have the fault code (or codes) you can then follow the pinpoint tests in the workshop manual. (Link below.)

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepairPhotos/CarPDFFiles/SType/S-Type%202002.5-2008-FSM-Workshop.pdf

However I would tend to go for a battery first as these cars can be very fussy about battery voltage.

Mellow
    The battery is only 18 months old - itís a Lion brand, so not one Iíd have fitted but it had recently been fitted as I got the car. Itís under warranty, so itís a no cost option to get a fresh one on and see where we are from there.
    VIN 87N805**

Post Thanks / Like
    I do occasionally get ABS faults flash up on the dashboard when starting the car, usually followed by a beep and a message stating park brake failure. Then, once the warning lights have annoyed me sufficiently, it’s peel back the boot carpet, unplug and replug the park brake module.
    VIN 87N805**

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roytonian View Post
    The battery is only 18 months old - itís a Lion brand, so not one Iíd have fitted but it had recently been fitted as I got the car. Itís under warranty, so itís a no cost option to get a fresh one on and see where we are from there.
    Is it this one:
    https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/J...ery/?444770171

It's not a problem if it is, 3 years warranty.

A Type 019 battery is better when the time comes to replace it. And the price from other suppliers for a Varta H3 or Exide 017TE is less than the Lion too, and warranty is 4 years.

E.g. tayna.co.uk (but there are others) delivered next business day...

Varta Silver Dynamic H3 £115: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/h3/

Exide EA1000 017TE £85 (blurry Ell!):
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ea1000/

I'd buy the Exide now and store it until it's needed!

ECP is not competitive without the discount codes now, so be careful.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 18-09-19 at 13:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíve not dug it out yet to check the type. Typically, the label is on the side of the battery I canít see. There is a scrap of paper under the clamp that says 017, not an S-Type fitment as far as I can tell but still 90Ah.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast