Thread: How do I get rid of wax on my windscreen??

Post Thanks / Like

How do I get rid of wax on my windscreen??

Morning all

Since I poicked the car up the previous owner must have had a right session with the wax on the windscreen. I have tried getting rid of it without fail.

Now with the sun low in the mornings I cant see anything out of it until the engine warms up

What can I use to clean the windscreen and is it worth changing the wipers too?

Please help and thanks in advance
    XF 2.0 R Sport 68 plate, white and lots of toys

XF 2.2D R Sport 65 plate and black (of course) and loving the ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Try regular dish soap. They may do it. You can also try isoproply alcohol. and then clean with proper glass cleaner. Hope this helps.

3. Thanks taffyhornblower thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get some fairy liquid and clean just the screen. Then go over with white spirit and yes, change the wipers when you’re done.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

5. Thanks taffyhornblower thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try Gun Wash which is the cheapest solvent thinners you can buy. It is used for cleaning spray guns in the trade hence the name. I apply this to the front and rear screens occasionally and it works well on the wiper blades. Once the grease and wax is removed i use Autoglym clean screen.
    Rejected 2 new F Paces for a 2018 XF 2.0D AWD Sportbrake. caesium blue with goodies. Pride and joy is my 2006 4.2 XK Convertible Frost Blue & Ivory for wonderful summer use.

7. Thanks taffyhornblower thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trying hot water and Fairly liquid ( a degreaser ) will help, possibly a little vinegar will help also

At the very least use the above and carefully ( holding wiper edge between thumb and forefinger ) use the same solution on a wet rag and clean the wipers, failing that they may need replaced

Good luck

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

9. Thanks taffyhornblower thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some waxes are a nightmare on the screen. Screens get greasy somehow on their own too.

As others mentioned, wash it like a dinner plate. Washing up liquid and scourer pad, then a rinse with sponge and water.

Some waxes take more than one wash to remove. When it dries to a slippery shine with a paper towel, it's clean.

I don't put anything on the glass once it gets slippery clean. Same on the inside.

Plain glass works best at night for me.