Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dave's new 2008 Sovereign lwb diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the Sovereign did come with 18s in the X358 guise (it's certainly not an option in the 2007 X358 brochure I have), but they have most likely been changed over the years by a previous owner.

That would be my guess.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '04 BMW 730d

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    In my ignorance I didn't know the Sovereign ever came with 18s' - everyday is a school day!

If you can do the work yourself at least you know it's been done right, or exactly who to blame
    The car was built with 19's, but the previous owner wanted 18's for winter tyres, so I ended up with 2 sets .
    David

2008 Jaguar XJ Sovereign LWB diesel (Sovereign Lady), silver, black leather, electric heated and cooled seats, electric pedal box, cool car !

2017 Yamaha MT-07 Tracer

3. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a win if you're in a part of France that requires winters to be fitted in.....err winter.
    '07 Sovereign X358 in Black with 20" wheels and cream interior. Couldn't resist the glorious V8 although a diesel would have made more sense
    Bought in Oct '18 as an everyday car needing a bit of TLC which it will get over the next few months.

High days and holidays car is a TVR Tuscan which has had a recent chassis off refurb and rebuild and now drives better than ever with new bushes and springs throughout and rebuilt power steering, diff, gearbox and shocks.

5. Likes thebiglad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a win if you're in a part of France that requires winters to be fitted in.....err winter.
    To be honest John the tyres he put on the 18's are really just Goodyear rain-orientated tyres, rather than specific winter ones. So I've got got 2 set of tyres for the 6 months a year of play time.

Dave
    David

2008 Jaguar XJ Sovereign LWB diesel (Sovereign Lady), silver, black leather, electric heated and cooled seats, electric pedal box, cool car !

2017 Yamaha MT-07 Tracer

7. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebiglad View Post
    I'm trying with my Photobucket account, it's a bit of a faff as the pics I take with my phone go to Google Photos, then my Cloud then Photobucket. There must be an easier way way with GP but I haven't found it yet.

That combination works really well, love it.

Those wheels don't harm the look, BUT I think the 19s will enhance it .
    I first discovered snow tyres when we used to go to Italy a lot more and had them fitted to a first gen Ford Kuga, they were a revolation and brilliant in the wet too.
    I now rotate summers and winters on another car (in the hope we get a properly cold and snowy winter) to avoid ever getting caught out.
    I know in parts of Italy and Germany its required by law to have them fitted during certain months and wondered if the same where you are?
    '07 Sovereign X358 in Black with 20" wheels and cream interior. Couldn't resist the glorious V8 although a diesel would have made more sense
    Bought in Oct '18 as an everyday car needing a bit of TLC which it will get over the next few months.

High days and holidays car is a TVR Tuscan which has had a recent chassis off refurb and rebuild and now drives better than ever with new bushes and springs throughout and rebuilt power steering, diff, gearbox and shocks.

9. Likes thebiglad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That combination works really well, love it.

Those wheels don't harm the look, BUT I think the 19s will enhance it .

I know in parts of Italy and Germany its required by law to have them fitted during certain months and wondered if the same where you are?
    No John, it's not mandatory here where I live, but if I wanted to go skiing it is mandatory to have either winter tyres or snow chains to get to the skiing centres.

Re the other set of wheels the 19's, they have a good set of Michelin Pilot Roads on them and apparently are filled with some special 'noise reducing' mousse ??? So that'll be interesting to try them on, sometime soon.

Dave
    David

2017 Yamaha MT-07 Tracer

Post Thanks / Like
    In view of the fact that I've be warned by all and sundry about sump oil dilution, and not wanting to be a tit and damage the engine, today I changed her engine oil. Did it with cheap oil because this is a temporary 'wash-out' engine oil and will be replaced at the end of the week with good stuff and a new filter.

Here's what I found about the old oil:

1. Absolutely coal black, no suggestion of dilution in the colour;

2. Thick texture, no suggestion of dilution in the feel of the oil;

3. Quantity, what I took out was approximately 6.5 ltrs; so no suggestion of more than normal quantity.

The car was last serviced Oct 2018 and has covered approx. 7,000 mls.

So, fri/saturday this week she'll have another oil change, filled with quality oil and a new filter. And weather permitting the headlamp washers will be sorted and the rear ns passenger will have it's locking mechanism re-set.

Just took her out for a little blast after the oil-change - "Oooooh errrr Misssus" she is gorgeous !!!!!!

Dave
    David

2017 Yamaha MT-07 Tracer

12. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This arvo a little bit of maintenance on t'Sovereign Lady.

About a week ago I through in some new cheap engine oil, just to give the engine a wash-out; well today it didn't rain !!! and I have Miller 5w-30 C3 oil and filters in stock, so out came the old new oil, black as coal and in went the new stuff plus new filter. All is silky now.
    David

2017 Yamaha MT-07 Tracer

14. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good call on the engine oil change Dave, just keep regular checks to be sure all is A ok and you'll be golden.

Now get some miles on her and enjoy the ride, soak up all the nice comments and compliments too.

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Jim. I would have changed the air filter too - which is normally a perfectly simple job to do - But I couldn't get the airbox lid off !!! Feel a bit of a twit now tbh but tried to separate the air inlet and EGR pipes but they weren't havin' any of it !! There is a connection point just aft of the MAF, but I couldn't shift (if only you guys had seen what I first typed ) the big spring clips to disconnect the pipes.

Ho-hum..............................;

Dave
    David

2017 Yamaha MT-07 Tracer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123