Thread: Suspension XJ40

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Suspension XJ40

I've just bought a -92 XJ-6/XJ40, where the suspension has been taken apart (no springs front, no shocks or springs rear). I've sorted the front end out with new shocks and springs, but now I'm about to tackle the rear. It's been a self leveling system, but thew previous owner pulled it all out when it stopped working, and I want to put standard shocks and springs in. I've been looking at this kit:

https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.com/xj40-rear-shock-conversion-kit-xj40rsck-c2x26389080

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring-shock-set.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	31855

Anyone here who knows how it works putting it in? The original "self leveling shock" has a collar that works as a lower spring plate (almost like a McPherson), but where does the spring mount up on the conversion to normal shocks? The wishbone has a circular indention, is that where collets and sprigseats in the kit goes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bärarm.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	448.5 KB 
ID:	31854

Is this a good substitute for the non-working self-leveling system? I also need to sourse new lower shock bolts, as they are gone. Is it the same shock bolt if you have self-leveling or standard shocks/springs? If anyone has done the conversion, hints and sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank's from Jonas in Sweden.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can awnser one thing myself, the spring does NOT go in the indention, it would interfere with the drive-axle. So the spring must go "coil over shock", any sugestions or pictures how that works? (I've e-mailed the parts store the same questions).