Thread: Monitoring engine temps?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Monitoring engine temps?

Hi all

Bit worried that the old xk might be getting a bit hot... since Jaguar thoughtfully decided that we didn't need a temp guage, is there an easy way of monitoring engine temp while on the move?

I had the thermostat changed earlier in the year and my mechanic says it's running fine, but it still "seems" to be running very hot, the fans run a lot, and it often smells a bit hot if that makes sense, maybe a faint wiff of coolant but it doesn't seem to be losing any?

For my own peice of mind I'd like to be able to see what temp the car is running at.

Thanks
    Fifey
    2005 Jaguar XK X150 (Vin No. B000087)
    2007 Suzuki GSXR750 K7
    2015 BMW 330d Touring

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest way is to use a Bluetooth OBD adapter and the 'Torque' app on your mobile phone.
    You can then watch, in real time, coolant temperature as reported by the ECU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah brilliant. That's exactly what I want.

I'll look into it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try fitting a 'Scangauge' if you would like a more permanently display.

I have one fitted to my Mazda MX-5 (set into the dashboard, below the radio, where it looks like a piece of original equipment) and it is excellent. It, too, plugs into the OBD port and can display a wide choice of engine and vehicle readings, and show up to four at once.

On an XK / XKR it could probably be mounted just above the steering wheel, and is small enough not to obscure the speedo / rev counter.

Jaguar 2007 4.2 litre XK (X150) convertible
    Maxzda 2007 MX-5 2.0 litre (non - 'Sport') roadster-coupe
    Skoda 2007 Octavia 2.0TDI 4WD (not a Scout) estate
    Reliant 1975 Scimitar GTE SE5a (off the road after 243,000 from new)

5. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifey View Post
    I had the thermostat changed earlier in the year and my mechanic says it's running fine, but it still "seems" to be running very hot, the fans run a lot, and it often smells a bit hot if that makes sense, maybe a faint wiff of coolant but it doesn't seem to be losing any?
    The car is running hot so I don't see you need tecchy gubbins to tell you what you already know.

Earlier this year I noticed the fans were coming on after a normal 10 mile journey in coolish weather. Change is bad so off it went to my Head of Spanners. Turned out that part of the thermostat housing had broken off (2006 car) and partially blocked the tubes. Counter-intuitively at higher revs it got cooler as the flow increased. Your problem may differ of course but - point is - you already know it's running hot so having a readout telling you it's hot isn't going to fix it

Post Thanks / Like
    I use this modified OBD gauge!

https://imgur.com/fCEkTX8

https://imgur.com/hAvl4OH
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Jaguar XK 4.2 2006

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Jaguar XK 4.2 2006

Post Thanks / Like
    I had earlier this year a temp issue but the reverse to what you have. I was getting messages that the car was too cool.
    I bought a BT OBD2 and the torque app. Works a treat. And the mobile fits nicely in the ashtray.
    I subsequently changed the thermostat which had the rubber seal broken. All is well now.
    Its is advised by some to change the thermostat housing as well, as the two lugs that hold the thermostat in place go brittle over time so the stat doesn’t seat properly.I didn’t but I was aware that it might be an issue.
    I got my adapter from Amazon for around £13 and downloaded the ProTorque app for £3. It’s worth getting the adapter and App to read and clear codes. Not all of them though
    XK 150 4.2 2006 black convertible