Thread: Blower controller replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Blower controller replacement.

Without any forewarning, the blower motor on my 2006 X350 stopped working. The speed bar graph was still operational but no air movement.

After some quick net searching, it became obvious the most likely culprit would be the speed controller. It is secured by two cross-headed screws inside the blower trunking and adjacent to the blower motor, behind the glove compartment. Access can only be gained by dropping the entire glove compartment. About eighteen screws hold it in and the removal process is finicky, to put it mildly. Especially the cord operating the damper.

Once clear, the controller is accessible by feel and restricted sight. The four wire connector can be removed when the controller is free.

Controllers are plentiful and vary in price from £80-200. It was upgraded after 2009 with a much larger heat sink. The Jaguar part number is C2C39577 and cost me £188. I couldn’t face the cheaper route, because of potential reliability issues and the heartache of repeating the replacement all over again.

Before anything else, connect the new controller and see if it works. Don’t run it for long, as it relies on air movement to keep the components cool.

Refitting the glove compartment is tiresome and took me an hour to complete.

My local main dealer quoted me approximately £500 inc. so £188 is ‘reasonable’.

You will need lots of patience and good luck.
    The single biggest problem, in communication, is the illusion that it has actually taken place. (George Bernard Shaw)

2. Thanks rtcosic thanked for this post
    Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you may have made this job a bit more difficult than necessary. You shouldn't need to remove the damper string as the whole assembly comes out as a unit leaving a big hole to get at stuff like the blower controller, I had to do mine as it was working when I parked up but then wasn't when I restarted the car, at night, in the cold with misty windows!
    Pacific Blue XJR with 2 tone interior.

4. Likes Mark8jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure you are correct but I just could not see away around it. Is/was your Jag an X350?
    The single biggest problem, in communication, is the illusion that it has actually taken place. (George Bernard Shaw)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandy View Post
    I am sure you are correct but I just could not see away around it. Is/was your Jag an X350?
    Looking at your price that includes VAT @ 20% (a real killer amount !!), makes the job cost £416. then if you take off the £188 for the controller, you get £228, which is about 2 hours labour at around £112 an hour. Not so bad, I suppose, but obviously DIY is cheaper !! A Jag indie would have a lower labour cost. I had to replace mine on the first X350 I owned, and the labour charge was at £60 an hour.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010