Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Eco friendly neighbour.

Post Thanks / Like

My Eco friendly neighbour.

My neighbour at the far end of the Street has just bought a Tesla about the size of a XE, and the other day he was using it as a Blockade so that nobody would drive into the large stack of Logs that was tipped onto the road at his back gate which is a busy road.

My point is he's being Eco friendly with the Tesla, but not with the Logs. As an article in the national news about emissions stated that a Wood Burning Stove can Cause more emissions than a Lorry.

How many members are going to own up to using a Wood Burning Stove. Lol
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Mocha Carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

2. Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolute hypocrites the lot of them.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

4. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, Zero123, S-Type Owner, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    My neighbour at the far end of the Street has just bought a Tesla about the size of a XE, and the other day he was using it as a Blockade so that nobody would drive into the large stack of Logs that was tipped onto the road at his back gate which is a busy road.

My point is he's being Eco friendly with the Tesla, but not with the Logs. As an article in the national news about emissions stated that a Wood Burning Stove can Cause more emissions than a Lorry.

How many members are going to own up to using a Wood Burning Stove. Lol

I have 8 in my house and I do use them as I have my own little forest. My central heating is wood pellets. I cannot use modern heating such as gas because my house is listed.

I don't own an electric car and I will never buy one. I have decided that my next car will be a 1930's classic. German laws are that a historical car is a "Denkmal" and it is treated the same as a listed building which means that it can still be used on the road even if they ban all petrol or diesel cars. I may have to go to the local airport for small planes to fill her up with leaded petrol as they allow this still.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

6. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, Trooper, S-Type Owner, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a modern gas combi boiler,when a gas leak was detected in the road outside I asked the contractor if he was able to run his magic wand over the exhaust from this.

"Just water vapour,mate",was the result.And yet "they" are stopping the use of this type of heating system!

I have a small pile of kindling type wood,if any local member uses a wood burner or open fire,free if you collect!
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

8. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its like those 'Smart meters' I wonder how many now regret fitting them?

A Frank prediction. In the not too distant future electricity companies will charge more for electricity used at peak times? Bit like the Economy 7 of a few years ago, that too was a pain in the Kilo Watt

Despite several attempts I have so far managed to stop them fitting one. Though it did take a big sign over the meter saying "Do NOT fit a smart meter". My neighbour did not ask for one but had one fitted whilst he was out. "Sorry sir it was a mistake, we will send someone to remove it straight away" Still there.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

10. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, Jimbov8, S-Type Owner, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post

A Frank prediction. In the not too distant future electricity companies will charge more for electricity used at peak times? Bit like the Economy 7 of a few years ago, that too was a pain in the Kilo Watt

Despite several attempts I have so far managed to stop them fitting one. Though it did take a big sign over the meter saying "Do NOT fit a smart meter". My neighbour did not ask for one but had one fitted whilst he was out. "Sorry sir it was a mistake, we will send someone to remove it straight away" Still there.
    Even if they do fit the smart meter you can just leave it unplugged. Mine doesn’t even work, just says £0.00 all the time.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

12. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, Jimbov8, S-Type Owner, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can discover,these devils inventions not only consume electric,guess who pays for that,but also use smartphone cleverness to report back to their masters.

Just one network,02,has a signal in our part of the North Norfolk wilderness and so far I have evaded captivity.....
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

14. Likes Trooper, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reckon that the roll out of smart meters is to allow the Government to eventually get the tax back that will be lost from petrol and diesel. I refused to have one fitted whilst in my old house but my new house had one already fitted - I changed supplier and it is now a "dumb" meter. How dumb is that! The gullible think these meters will save the planet for heaven's sake! We all will end up paying more simply to cover the £12 billion or more it will cost to replace the damn things....
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

16. Likes Jimbov8, S-Type Owner, Trooper, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not aware that a smart meter can be fitted whilst you're out. In fact, you have to agree and make an appointment even if the meters are in an outside cupboard. Your household appliances will need to be turned off and then back on again. With both electricity and gas meters the engineer will check that everything is working and indeed is safe with the gas supply flowing properly. Maybe your neighbour is being a little 'economical' with the truth?
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

18. Likes Ian D, Trooper, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a smart meter. British Gas installed it, but now I'm with Bulb and they say they can't use it as it was a first generation smart meter (BG getting rid of old stock) and it's obselete. Now it functions like a normal meter where I give readings. I didn't mind when I was with BG. I only paid for what I used which meant I wasn't vastly in credit in the summer with a fixed direct debit and having them benefit from my excess cash in their bank. The little reader thing showing my usage was great as I could instantly tell when the wife had left the immersion on.

I'm interested in an electric car, but only as a second set of wheels for now. I just don't think the charging infrastructure is appropriate yet which means even the best EVs are no good for a journey beyond 250 miles.

Finally the comment above suggesting a gas combi boiler only spits out water vapour and no carbon dioxide is pretty impressive as that suggest it completely defies all the basic laws of chemistry.
    Glacier White XJR (X351) 5.0 S/C V8

Previous Jag History...
    Black 2009 XF SV8

Previous Cars...
    Seat Exeo, Seat Leon, Ford Mondeo, Renaultsport Clio, Seat Leon, Vauxhall Astra Coupe, Audi A3, Seat Leon, Vauxhall Astra, Renault Clio, Lada Riva

20. Thanks Super350 thanked for this post
    Likes Ian D, Trooper, C16RKC, rtcosic liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast